1990 Pace Arrow 34' Power Mirrors and chassis sway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swinn

Hi all.  I am new to the forum, just purchased a 1990 Pace Arrow 34' on a Chevy P chassis.  It has a 454.

The rig was in pretty good shape but a few items need attention.  The drivers side power window didn't work and neither did the power mirrors or mirror heat.  Someone had made a bad go at fixing it, cut up all the wiring in the door and gotten it frankly quite screwed up.  I cut out all the obvious add ons and 'repair' and kept everything that looked original.  I managed to get the window wired up and working correctly but the mirror wiring is mysterious.  There is a joystick switch, a L/R switch and a Heat switch.  Does anyone know where I might find a wiring diagram to show how this is supposed to be hooked up?  I think the 'repair' was trying to fix a wire that had rubbed through on the chassis where is passes through the door hinge area, I think they missed that rubbed wire and can see that it was probably shorting out there, even though that problem hadn't been fixed.

Also, how normal is 'sway' when driving over rough roads?  I live on a dirt road that has a fair number of pot holes.  I drive out very slowly but the RV really sways back and forth a lot as I manuever through the best parts of the road I can find.  I'm only traveling at walking speed or slower and it rolls like the ocean.  Is this normal?  On the regular road it seems OK, but still very loose.  I used to drive 35' bobtail truck and it handled far better, but did not ride as smooth and was never as heavily loaded.

Any info helps.  Thanks!

Sway is a common problem - motorhomes are top heavy. Vintage rigs like yours typically had inadequate (or no) anti-swap bars and sometimes barely adequate suspensions.  Adding a hefty anti-sway (anti-roll) bar would help. Air bags in the rear would also probably help.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-wheel-covers/anti-sway-bars.htm

I don't know about the switch, but is looks like a joystick type, so might be unique.

This coach has a MOR RYDE suspension on the rear and standard P-30 independent suspension on the front.  It looks like the sway bars are intended for rear axle installation, I can' t tell if it applies to MOR RYDE or not?

On my 88 Holiday Rambler on a P30, the best thing I did for body roll was replace all 6 completely worn out shocks, what a difference when you have some dampening of all that spring action along with all the weight.

Good Luck!

I'll second the previous post, some good shocks (i.e. Bilsteins) will make a world of difference.  Also, P30s commonly had air bags in the front springs that may be blown or leaking.  They're easy and cheap to replace and may help your situation.

Back
Top Bottom