Disposing of old batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I was previously told by a battery distributor that he is legally obligated to take old batteries and that he sends them by the truckload to a battery recylcing  place in Texas. Today I was in a Kragen auto parts store and noticed some old batteries on the floor. I asked if I could drop off old batteries even if I didn't buy new batteries from them and they said quite emphatically yes.

Not sure about other states but in Indiana you are charged a "disposal fee" for the old battery when you buy a new one, whether you bring your old one in or not.
I've always thought it was a scam because the old batteries would have to have some value, even if it was for the lead content.

Woody

Woody, like you I always thought the disposal fee was a scam. Neither the distributor I mentioned nor Kragens charges the fee.

Old batteries do indeed have value.  I have a friend in Chicago that rebuilds batteries for resale.

I have heard all sorts of excuses for that "Recycling fee" charge. however it's a fact, the folks charging it are dipping into your pocket and then getting paid for the scrap.

If your battery shop charges such a fee, decline to drop off your old battery and find a scrap metal yard or battery recycler to take it off your hands

Not sure about other cities, but anyone in El Paso can drop them off for free at the city recycling center on Hondo Pass.  They only accept batteries one day a week (I think it's Wednesday) but there's no charge.  They take all other recycleables every day.

Recycling fees are usually charged up front when purchasing a new battery. And you can't decline them because they are typically state-mandated charges.

These days the lead in the batteries is sufficiently valuable that recyclers will pay you to bring them an old battery. Whether that amount will cover the cosst of collecting and transporting batteries to a recycle center is perhaps another question and may depend on how near by the battery recycle center is.  Frankly, though, I myself wouldn't collect, store and transport leaky, corroded, dirty and caustic old batteries for only $1-2 apiece.  You'd have to pay me a lot more than that!

Ned said:
Old batteries do indeed have value.? I have a friend in Chicago that rebuilds batteries for resale.

But the value is hardly worth it; I was offered $1 each if I would bring them to the rebuilder's house. He confided in me that he didn't "rebuild" them; he only removed and sold the lead for about $6 per battery.

Re charging a disposal fee, whether leaving a battery or not: In Texas it's illegal. Just tell them you'll keep the old battery and they CAN'T CHARGE THE FEE.? This also applies to tires.

But other states may be more retarded than Texas; we're pretty advanced when it comes to JUNK KNOWLEDGE.

Every time I buy a battery from autozone or advanced auto, they will pay me for the the old battery.  Its the core just like an alternator.

The largest battery manufacturing plant in the US, East Penn Manufacturing, who make DEKA among other brands, is about 60 miiles from our house. They are presently paying $3 to $5 per old battery if you bring them in. They recycle all the lead from the old one into new batteries. When ever I need a battery, I always go to the factory store and purchase 2nds -- that is a scratch on the case or production over run. The price there is 1/3 to 1/2 of what you would pay at any other store.

Chet18013

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom