Coleman Ultra Light.... Are they good quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosnowman

I am new here and am looking at entry level RV's.  I am looking for the most economical RV at this point...I understand you get what you pay for but I am looking at a Coleman ultra light ctu240rb for around $20,000.  My question is if you were spending a maximum of $20,000 for a travel trailer (not fifth wheel) what would you buy?

We are empty nesters and don't RV a lot....just short trips.

Is Coleman by Dutchman cheap or okay?

Mosnowman, My wife and I looked at many, many RVs at shows and dealers for several years before finally making a purchase. We settled on a Keystone Bullet within the price range you indicate. I finally came to the conclusion by searching and now by reading various forums, that the phrase "RV quality" is an oxymoron when referring to TTs under $20,000. It scares me as to what I can expect the next year or so with our brand new TT. We looked at a Coleman and numerous other brands at an RV show in Dallas and came close to making a deal on the Coleman. We went back several times as we looked and looked. The Coleman reps tried to tell us the things that were different about theirs from the others. We found the same things on other trailers that they claimed were only on their trailers. At this point, I don't believe quality differs much from unit to unit and manufacturer to manufacturer. I say give them a good look over and find the floor plan you like and go for it. We are new empty nesters and will use our trailer only occasionally for shorter trips just as you, so I hope our TT last for a while.

Thanks for the quick reply!  This has been totally overwhelming trying to figure out which inexpensive trailer to buy.  If I were going to be using it a lot I can understand the higher cost /quality stuff, but for my purpose I just want to get a decent trailer.  My only concern at this point is that Coleman is made by Dutchman.  i have heard a lot of negative things about Dutchman so I'm still a little perplexed.  I may take a look at the brand you bought since it sounds like you did a lot of research.  I had an old coleman pop up (when coleman was Coleman) that lasted the family for years with no problems.  Thanks again and hopefully some others will weigh in here as well....

I saw an ad in one of my mags for this TT and thought it was pretty nice and truly a Ultra light.

I went to Camping World to look at one and they said they had three on order but none on the lot. CW is the only Coleman Dealer in New Mexico so that is as far as I could get, so far CW hasn't called back to invite me out for a look see.

This TT looked almost too good to be true. I thought the interior layout was very well done and made max use of the space. The ads say it has heated under belly for cold weather camping and several nice features on the inside like the rotating TV for living room or bedroom viewing.

So I started a thread on another board and didn't get much info there either. Here is the link.
http://www.myrvtalk.com/chatter/8412-coleman-ultra-lite-ctu240rb-tt.html

But if this unit is close to it's appearance at first blush then Coleman has found a price/feature unit that will sell well, IMHO

This unit is manufactured by Dutchman the same folks that make Aerolite TTs, so they aren't new at this and make a pretty good line of products. I had the Chance to add a A/C in a Dutchman Grand Junction fiver a few weeks ago and it was solidly built and well thought out.

The CTU240RB would stay on my short list right to the end if I were looking to buy a TT today. This guy could easly be towed with a 1/2 Ton PU.

Dutchman probably builds as good a $20k trailer as anyone else, but you aren't going to get a lot of "quality" for that price.  By the time they put in the amenities that buyers expect these days, they have to skimp a bit on components and underlying mechanical systems to meet the desired price point.

Check out the Heartland Edge. These are very light, and the models with a slide give lots of interior room. We purchased The M-22 model last year and have been very pleased with it. Touch wood, we have had no issues whatsoever. Best of luck, and remember, half the fun is in the shopping.

I just bought a Coleman 25 ft 5th wheel. It seemed to have the best floor plan for its size. it was what they call 24 feet but when measured out over the tongue it is really 29 feet. I wanted a short  and light 5th wheel and at its length its dry weight was 7900 lbs. We took our shakedown cruise to our local lake and all went well. It only has one slide, which is fine for less weight. As in any 5th wheel, travel trailer or even motorhomes, you will find things and say, "what were they thinking when they did this!"  While looking through my owners manual i noticed that the release valves for the tanks were supposed to be large for black and small for grey. I didn't know I had 2 grey tanks. When I went to dump I found 2 large release handles and 1 small release handle. Just the opposite of what the book said. There were no markings on the handles, frames or body to indicate which was which. It turned out to be just as I suspected, backwards. There is also an outdoor water shower next to the fold down stove. I couldn't make a good connection with the connector and ended up with a water leak coming from under the sink cabinet. Won't try to use that again. Then the little remote to put in the slide, awning, stabilizing jacks and porch light didnt work at all even with a new battery. Over all we're very pleased except for these small things. Good luck, don't overlook JAYCO, that was our other choice we just didn't like the floor plan.

Back
Top Bottom