85 Mallard...question, need help or ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giamantic

Okay, now that demolition is done.  We will be starting to replace studs that are rotten.  The question I have is what tool to use to remove the studs I will be replacing so I don't pierce or cut the aluminum?  Please, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

It's hard to beat this tool for pinpoint control.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5101K-SoniCrafter-Tool-37-Piece/dp/B001EYUGMI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303311651&sr=8-3
Others sell it such as Harbor Freight but for a project this big I'd go with Rockwell or Dremel just to insure it lasts until your done.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-6300-03-120-Volt-Multi-Max-Oscillating/dp/B002L3RUV6/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1303311967&sr=1-3
The Fein brand is the best known amongst the pros http://www.amazon.com/Fein-MultiMaster-FMM-250Q-Top/dp/B000U8S3QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303311868&sr=8-3 but for you're project it would be hard to justify the cost delta.

At some point in this project you will need one of these tools.

Theberrys - thank you again.  I think Stacy's dad has a Dremel with these attachments.  I will have to ask him.  I was thinking that this would be the right tool for the job but just needed to hear that my head was going in the right direction.  So thank you again so very much, your advice is definitely appreciated.

I keep pieces of steel around the shop to place between what I am cutting and what I don't want to cut to reduce the possibility of what you are worried about.  In your case a piece of 1/4" steel would work well to slide between the stud and aluminum to keep the blade from allowing in too much daylight.

Just a suggestion....as long as you have it opened to the studs, try and think of the things you might want to mount on walls when finished....... shelving, flat screen tv, etc. Now is a good time to add some framing members to enable those kinds of things to be mounted.

Dennis - very good idea.  We were already thinking of things like that.  Shelving, placement of outlet and switches, etc.  Thank you, I may have forgotten all about it.  There is so much to think about, but I like that. 

Hi Giamantic,

After I posted my question above, I happened across your blog pictures and you have a great example of what I am seeking in terms of your shower with a seat.
My question to you is how did the shower curtain (or was it a door?) work along the seat area?
The answer to that may solve one of my design issues.
Thanks in advance.

It was curtain, that ran on a track.  We tucked in the curtain into the tub when using it.  This did not solve the problem with water running out by the seat area.  I think we will doing something different with that, just not sure what it will be yet.  I do know it will still be a curtain though. 

Back
Top Bottom