motorhome towing toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stray_bullet

Hello fella's

I know you have been asked a zillion times, but could you please answer this question one more time? I bought a 2001 chevy Tracker 4x4 automatic for a toad. Now I'm ready to purchase the equipment to safely tow four down using my 06 Fleetwood excursion. I will probably purchase all the equipment from Ebay. I have found Ebay purchases save me alot of money usually. Now, what equipment do i need? tow bar-base plates-cables-plugins- brake system-lighting-etc? do i need a extra braking system? It would be easier for me to go to the dealer and have him install the system. however, I'm very mechanical and feel I can save myself some money.

The systems I feel most interested in is the Roadmaster Falcon 2 or Falcon All-Terrain

Thanks so much for all your past help!

Brad

Hi Brad,

Assuming the Tracker can be towed all 4 down, the three things you need are:

• Tow bar and baseplate.
  • Auxiliary brake system.
  • Lighting hookup.

There are a couple of files in our library that might help with the first two. Click the Library button above, then:

• Select Tech topics and click Tow bar installation.
  • Select Towing and towables and click Auxiliary (toad) braking systems.

Camping world sells a kit that will allow you to wire the Tracker for lights, in addition to the curly cord you'll need to go between the coach and the Tracker.

Let us know if you need more help.

thank you Tom, I haven't navigated myself around the site enough to know where to look for the answers. You helped me.

Brad

You're welcome Brad. Let us know if those articles help and if you need more info.

Good choice - we have owned two Trackers and towed each of them many, many miles.

You need a tow bar, base plates, toad running lights and an auxiliary brake system to be safe and legal all across the USA and in Canada. On nearly all vehicles this is a perfectly reasonable DIY project - I've always done my own vehicles.

The tow bar attaches the toad to the motorhome. The base plates are simply an adapter that makes it possible to attach a standard model ow bar to your particular vehicle.  Running lights make the stop, brake and turn signals on the car operate and may be either the Tracker's built in ones or an auxiliary set added for the purpose. The aux brake system activates the toad's own brakes when the motorhome itself brakes, relieving the motorhome brakes from the weight/momemntum of the toad.

There are many different makes, models and types of each of these things and they come in all different price ranges. Some are more elegant or easier to use than others and in a few cases there are significant functional differences as well, but mostly it is a matter of what you like and your budget.

I recommend the type of tow bar that stores on the motorhome, something like the Blue Ox Aladdin or Aventa or the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain.

See http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=56 for one reasonably priced source for tow bars, base plates and toad wiring accessories.

Aux brakes is a whole topic by itself.  The Brake Buddy is simple and convenient but there are several other good ones as well. One of the best engineered systems is the M&G Brake. SMI is another popular brand with several models.

You should be able to tow the Tracker. We have a Suzuki Grand Vitara, it is identical to the chevy.  Read your manual.  You will put car in park, transfer case in neutral, & must stop every 200 miles & start car, shift into drive for a minute or so.....  Insalling the brackets on the Tracker requires a lot of work. Front grille should be removed, to get at frame.  Frame will need holes drilled to bolt brackets. LOCKTITE is a must, you don't want those bolts coming loose.  We use a less expensive tow bar, but any bar that matches the coupling requirements to the brackets will do.  Paying the dealer to it is expensive, but at least there is some warrenty...

Back
Top Bottom