Ladder Envy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

I continue to notice that class A's have very large roof ladders mounted to the back of them.  Sportsmobile B's have very sexy and costly $650 black ladders mounted to the sides of them.  I have been feeling left out and very inadequate this last winter.  So, last week I made my own black side mount ladder for my van.  Now I feel better.  I just wish Joanne would stop rolling her eyes.

Now all I need is a real reason to climb onto the roof.

Attachments

• 25a Jig.JPG
    25a Jig.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 25dd.JPG
    25dd.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 25e Fit.JPG
    25e Fit.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 28b.JPG
    28b.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 28c.JPG
    28c.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 28cc.JPG
    28cc.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 29a.JPG
    29a.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 66
Well, Len, you can always hope you'll get a lot of leaves and debris that need to be cleaned off the roof, or better yet, how about some snow???  ;D ;) ::)

ArdraF

Good idea.  Joanne's family comes from Michigan's U.P. so Jo understands the need for roof snow ladders.  So installing the ladder is just long range planning on my part for the 2011/2012 winter. ;D ;D  I do like to think and plan ahead.

Excellent job, well done. I am in awe of your workshop. All those planes stood on their end, my dad would have been orgasmic.  ;D

Nothing like walking around on the roof looking busy, people look up when I'm on our A class and must think what is he doing up there ?  8) :eek: :p

I don't have a welder....yet.  So I brazed the joints w 80,000 psi brazing rod.

Test joint.........

Attachments

• 25e Fit.JPG
    25e Fit.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 26a Brazed Joint.JPG
    26a Brazed Joint.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 16
Well, the standard RV roof ladder did not much like my 300+ pounds so I removed it.

I had a convertable ladder, (Step or Extension) I inhearated from my dad, It has no problem with my tonnage..

Ramo (A local body man and fabricator) made me a couple of J hooks (Think if the letter J, write it without a top cross bar,  Drill two holes in the upright,)  This is bolted to the back of the RV, with the bolts sinking into wood framing, just below the roof line.

Down about eye level is a shower "Assist" bar, (Stainless steel) you get those at any hardware or home improvement store bath isle.

The ladder hangs on the "J".s and is strapped both with bungie cord and a bicycle lock to the shower bar.

I can (with the assist of my small step stool) use it to access the roof as mounted,

I can hang a lawn cart on it using a standard "Chair" type ladder rack,

I can remove it and extend it and access the roof much more comfotablly (It is way easier to use a slanted ladder than a vertical one)

I can remove it and set it up in step ladder mode to wash and wax the beast (And will, next week)

Very nice ladder

Back
Top Bottom