Tow Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodo

Here goes my first question of a newbie!  We have a 21 FT Chinook and plan on towing an Xterra. I have looked at the specs for the Blue Ox tow bar and the Roadmaster towbar but can't really figure out any difference. I have a friend with a similar set up to mine and he complaines that the Blue Ox binds up and is difficult to disconnect in uneven terraine. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tow bars. I am looking at only the ones that mount to the car with the ball on the RV because the back door to the Chinook would be impaired with the ball on the car.  I look forward to hearing any advice anyone wants to give.  Thanks  JODO

Jodo

My experience is limited to the Roadmaster attached to the motorhome, but maybe you can glean something from my experience.

I tow a Suburban with Roadmaster's BlackHawk, their largest tow bar, but it's not the all-terrain model. On occasions we pull up on non-level ground and inevitably the Suburban wants to roll towards or away from the coach, making it impossible to pop the locking pins. For these cases, Roadmaster provides a gadget like a lever that allows me to easily depress the pins. It performs the same function as the cams on their all-terrain models but, instead of being built into the tow bar, it's a separate lever that I store in the back of the Suburban.

Although I've had no experience with Blue Ox tow bars, I've heard only good things about them. So, personally, I don't see any criteria to choose one over the other.

Hope this helps.

JODO

I am not sure what interference the tow bar will create for you. I have a diesel pusher pulling a 2001 XTerra 4x4 with auto transmission. First, you will need to have a drive shaft disconnect installed on the XTerra so that you can tow it. If you have a manual transmission, you may be able to tow without the disconnect.

I have a Blue Ox Alladin II tow bar. The bar mounts in the hitch receiver but it swings out of the way when not used. Previously, I had a Roadmaster Stowmaster, attached to a ball hitch on the coach. The Blue Ox has been far superior to the Roadmaster for releasing in difficult situations. I still have the Roadmaster if you were interested in purchasing it it is almost new, Roadmaster gave me a new replacement about 4 months before we bought our Blue Ox. With the Stowmaster, it stored on the front of the car and, when we went 4 wheeling, I had to take it off because of the weight and intrusion on clearance.

If feasible, I strongly recommend a hitch mounted tow bar. With the Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bars, there should be little difference in releasing between Blue OX, the biggest difference between the 2 is a good dealer for price and installation.

Good point re the installation Bernie. I installed the Roadmaster myself and, although not entirely trouble free, when I figured it out it was straighforward enough. For Jodo's benefit, here's my writeup and photos of the installation.

I agree with Tom and Bernie. Either one is a very good tow-bar. Which one someone else recommends is kind of a
Ford or Chevy thing. Most of us like the one we have the most experience with. I have a Blue Ox and have been very satisfied with it. I know Blue Ox is at most large rallies and will service the tow bars for free and I assume Roadmaster does the same. I have mine serviced every year at Quartzsite. The service is free but they have a tip jar sitting on the counter for the mechanics in the back doing the work.

Don

Thanks for reminding us about the service at rallies. I haven't attended one where the manufacturers have been in attendance, so I don't know if Roadmaster visits. But I've heard numerous (good) stories of BlueOx service at rallies.

Tom said:
Don

Thanks for reminding us about the service at rallies. I haven't attended one where the manufacturers have been in attendance, so I don't know if Roadmaster visits. But I've heard numerous (good) stories of BlueOx service at rallies.

Both Roadmaster and Blue Ox were at Quartzsite and they were performing maintenance over near the big tent. ;D

Ron said:
Both Roadmaster and Blue Ox were at Quartzsite and they were performing maintenance over near the big tent. ;D
Well, ya didn't tell me (g).

jodo said:
Here goes my first question of a newbie!? We have a 21 FT Chinook and plan on towing an Xterra. I have looked at the specs for the Blue Ox tow bar and the Roadmaster towbar but can't really figure out any difference. I have a friend with a similar set up to mine and he complaines that the Blue Ox binds up and is difficult to disconnect in uneven terraine. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tow bars. I am looking at only the ones that mount to the car with the ball on the RV because the back door to the Chinook would be impaired with the ball on the car.? I look forward to hearing any advice anyone wants to give.? Thanks? ?JODO

We had a Stowmaster car-mounted tow bar for several years then switched to the Falcon motorhome mounted tow bar, both made by roadmaster. ?Really recommend the MH mounted tow bar. ?We have only had to use the tool provided about twice in 6 years. ?However, ?The new Roadmaster Stowmaster all terrain tow-bar, motorhome mounted tow bar, The falcon all terrain car mounted tow bar and the Blackhawk allterrain tow bars are reported to be easy to disconnect even on unlevel terrain. ?Have not heard a bad report on the allterrain tow bars by Roadmaster.

jodo said:
I have looked at the specs for the Blue Ox tow bar and the Roadmaster towbar but can't really figure out any difference.

I use the Roadmaster All Terrain and I love it.  It comes in both motorhome mounted and ball mount.  Never had a lock up yet.

Phil

Some advantages to a tow bar mounted on the towed vehicle: When taking your pickup to the shop for service, tow your car with the tow bar, leave the pickup and drive home.
Going to the cabin with someone else but coming home at different times or days? Ride together tow your car and leave when you want.  The boy (that is all hands) and drives a pickup you need a ladder to get into wants to date your daughter. Hook up the tow car to his pickup and your daughter can leave the bum and drive home any time. Or?..dad or mom can ride in the towed car (he can?t get away).

jobguy said:
Some advantages to a tow bar mounted on the towed vehicle: When taking your pickup to the shop for service, tow your car with the tow bar, leave the pickup and drive home.

Jobguy

All of that can be done with the receiver style tow bar. It can easily be removed from the coach and inserted into the receiver of the pickup or other vehicle. However, it is not something that you do often and until you have lifted and carried the tow bar a couple of times to the car to hook up, it isn't something you want to do ofter, so you leave the tow bar on the coach :)

Thanks to all. This helps both to know about your experience and to know there are people out there that are willing to help. I hope to return the favor. See you on the road. JODO ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom