15.btu ac unit what size generator is needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

What size generator will be needed to run this ac unit?  I have a 3500 kipor that runs my 13.5 BTU ac with no problems , but i don't think it is going to run a 15. BTU is this true?  I do some dry camping every year in the summer at state parks and it gets very hot, so i my be a little spoiled, but i need ac to cool the camper down before i go to sleep.  I am looking into a newer camper 2009-2011 and was told by the dealers that this kipor will not run the ac units in the newer campers, is this just the dealers trying to get me to buy a new generator?  If this is true will a 3000 Honda or Yamaha run a 15BTU?  Or will I have to pair up two 2000w to get what i need?  I really don't want to lug around anything bigger than the unit i have now.  So what are my options?  Please HELP!    Thanks

DieselJay said:
What size generator will be needed to run this ac unit?  I have a 3500 kipor that runs my 13.5 BTU ac with no problems , but i don't think it is going to run a 15. BTU is this true?  I do some dry camping every year in the summer at state parks and it gets very hot, so i my be a little spoiled, but i need ac to cool the camper down before i go to sleep.  I am looking into a newer camper 2009-2011 and was told by the dealers that this kipor will not run the ac units in the newer campers, is this just the dealers trying to get me to buy a new generator?  If this is true will a 3000 Honda or Yamaha run a 15BTU?  Or will I have to pair up two 2000w to get what i need?  I really don't want to lug around anything bigger than the unit i have now.  So what are my options?  Please HELP!    Thanks
This question comes around quite a bit.  If you have a Kipor 3500, I would not think going down to a Honda 3000 would be prudent.  As for twin 2k's, while they may well do the job (many have had no problem) and if the cost is within your budget, I was told there is no guarantee when I actually looked into it.  Give the Kipor a try, with the fan running before compressor start and not having super hot restarts repetitively, you may be fine.

Back
Top Bottom