"Rebuilt" title for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv98

I noticed a DP on the internet with a "Rebuilt" title. According to the info, rig was damaged and professionaly repaired with factory parts. What concerns me is the "Rebuilt" title. I know that this type of title probably makes the rig less valuable.? Should I offer a low price, if so by how much?, or just stay away from it?
Thanks

Sounds like a salvage title -- a vehicle re-registered after being declared a total loss by an owner or lienholder.? ?The California DMV has this to say about the subject:

A "brand" is wording on a Certificate of Title or registration card that indicates certain conditions in the vehicle?s history. Most states put history brands somewhere on their titles and the wording varies from state to state (for example; Totaled, Reconditioned, Salvaged, Junked, Damaged, Rebuilt, Warranty Returned).

Although California has indicated prior history on titling documents for many years, vehicle history information is more prominently displayed on the latest revision of both the Certificate of Title and Salvage Certificate in a red box near the upper right-hand corner of the document.

Why Brands Are Important to Consumers

Brands indicate what has happened to a vehicle in the past. They can indicate high mileage, significant damage, or chronic problems.

What Conditions Require a Brand?

The following brands are placed on California vehicle titles and DMV records:

Salvaged-Vehicles marked with a "salvaged" brand were involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.

Original Taxi or Prior Taxi?-Vehicles formerly used "For Hire" which usually have high mileage.

Original Police or Prior Police-Vehicles formerly used by law enforcement and which usually have high mileage.

Non-USA-Vehicles manufactured for use and sale outside the United States which have been converted to meet Federal and California safety and emissions standards.

Warranty Return or Lemon Law Buyback-Vehicles which have been returned to the manufacturer under California?s Lemon Law.

Remanufactured-Vehicles constructed by a licensed remanufacturer and consisting of used or reconditioned parts. These vehicles may be sold under a distinctive trade name.

Salvage Vehicles

Of all the vehicle brands, Salvaged has received the most attention in the past few years.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs found that more than 700,000 structurally damaged and 150,000 salvaged vehicles are returned to streets and highways every year without a safety inspection, and pose a potential hazard to all of the state?s motorists.

A Salvage Vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A Revived Salvage is a salvage vehicle which has been repaired and reregistered with the DMV.

Be Cautious When Buying a Revived Salvage Vehicle

Although many salvage vehicles are expertly repaired, some vehicles:

Are not properly repaired and/or tested and may be dangerous to operate.
Have been repaired with stolen parts. If the California Highway Patrol or DMV determines the vehicle or its parts have been stolen, the vehicle cannot be registered and the vehicle or parts will be seized.

In short, be careful.

It probably won't affect trade in value much, if at all.  You actually only get low wholesale book anyway, so how much lower can it be?  [Most of the trade in value you see on a contract is actually a discount off the asking price and that won't change.]

It might put a damper on a private sale, though. Hard to say how people will react - many will be concerned just like you are.

A rebuilt or salvage title is as only good as the shop that did the rebuild.  Some do excellent work and some may take shortcuts with repairs in hiden areas.  It's difficult to tell, which is the reason you are - and should be - concrned.  It is quite practical to rebuild many "total wrecks" and shops often do so to have a project they can work on whenever business is a bit slow.  The damage may be extensive but mostly all cosmetic, simply requiring a lot of labor and some parts.

As for the price, defintely go low if you are still interested. But low is relative - used RVs generally sell "low" anyway, especially in private sales or from sources other than RV dealer lots.  Steep discounts from the retail book value or common, either as a cash discount or inflated trade-in value.

A rebuilt is of much less value than one not titled that way.  It's either a total that was sold by the insurance company in most cases or been stolen.  Either case, in some states it can't be titled for usage unless it passes a very rigorous inspection and that inspection  must be done in the name of the new licsenee.  It can be very expensive, particularly Missouri.  Other states may not be as tough, but Mo and IL sure are.  You can check out any car or MH on the net to see why it has the rebuilt and who did the work and if it's been inspected. 

You can check out any car or MH on the net to see why it has the rebuilt and who did the work and if it's been inspected.

Where/how would you do that?  I know there are services that will report any known VIN-related history, but that can be "iffy" because not all repairs are reported.

True Gary.  But if it's an insurance, most likely it's been reported.  I've never done one, but know people that have
.  Always thought I'd find out once I needed to know, so I didn't dwell oin the subject too long.  My Mistake, I guess I should have. But then at my age I would probably have forgotten by the time I needed to know.

It's likely to be recorded that the vehicle was "totaled" and sold for salvage and also that a rebuilt or salvage title was later issued.  It's unlikley that there will be many details about the nature of the damage and certainly won't detail how repairs were done, which is the primary concern.  Parts can be either repaired or replaced. Replacement parts can be new or used. Work can be either sloppy or skilled.

My main concern would be any damage to the front end, suspension and steering, and how well it was repaired. Next would be any drive train damage. Last would be body and cosmetics.  Just about anything can be repaired and repaired well, but it is not necessarily economic to do so.  The economic incentive to cut corners during the repair is what is worrisome about buying a rebuilt car or RV.

where would you look to find out why travel trailor was a salvage title if you have the vin #

The economic incentive to cut corners during the repair is what is worrisome about buying a rebuilt car or RV.
LOL  ;D and the economic incentive for buying them is the reason they sell.
Sorry Gary, just couldn't resist (the devil made me do it  ;))
There have been many sad stories about people buying "Rebuilds" some of them are quite dangerous on the road. There is a court case against a dealer who repaired a very damaged NEW car and the person who had bought it as a new vehicle is out to get just that, a new car. There are a couple of things the main one being it should have been branded as a rebuild.

I bought one Dec. 2007 an 05 sunbird, $4200 on the lot they were going for $9000 + so there was plenty incentive to buy. However I did check it out real good, wasn't hard to find what was replaced, seems it went into the bush mostly hood front grill, rad and the frame work holding the rad. It's a good car but there is a lot of sad stories. As for buying a rebuilt RV, for me I don't think I'd do it unless a good reputable truck shop checked it out first. It would be well worth the inspection cost.

Cheers
Willis

Like I mentioned in another post I would not even consider buying a rig with salvaged or rebuilt title.  Just too much hassle and the big thing is just how safe will it be.  After all it would be my life at risk not the rebuilder.

Back
Top Bottom