Is it necessary to buy a special RV TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinksolman

I was just wondering if it is necessary to buy a special TV for our toyhauler from an RV store or will a regular flatscreen work, I already read that a plasma is not a good idea.  Any info would be appreciated.  Seems the RV stores push their TV's saying they take all the jiggling that goes on during transport.  Seems their TV's are about double the price of one I can get at Walmart...Just don't want to spend a lot on a TV cause we're not gonna watch it that often...just catch the news and weather once in a while.

Thanks....

Other than avoiding plasma I don't think there is any advantage to buying an "RV" tv. We just installed a 37 inch LED LCD flatscreen and love it.

I think nearly all of us that have done CRT to flat screen conversions have used regular models. We put in a Samsung 32" LCD model from Costco. The major criteria is to make sure that it is installed, or restrained, solid for travel.

I replaced my Glass TV with a ViewSonic LCD about 18 months ago and have had no problems. I there are any doubts just look at whet your taking out. Those tube type TVs were off the shelf with no special manufacturing processes for traveling and the components were heaver. The circuit boards were paper single sided and not coated at all. The new LCD or LED type TVs are made to a much higher standard and will do fine.

Jensen makes a big deal of how their tvs are ruggedized for RVs, but standard residential LCDs seem to hold up fine and cost about half what a Jensen does. I have Sony and Samsung LCDs in mine.

We've installed a 37", a 32" and a 26" in our coach.  All standard sets.  Yes, avoid plasma.  You might consider purchasing an extended wty with the set if you're concerned with the bouncing around.

Good luck...

Rick

We have 2 off-brand (sasuai, or something like that) Walmart lcd tv's in our trailer.  Going on their 3rd year with no problems.  Never removed them for winter storage either, and we get some cold temps up here (-20F).

I do not think I have ever seen a special "RV" tv.. I have seen several standard home type TV's that are advertised for RV's.. And usually at a premium price, but I've never seen one truly designed for RV use.. None of mine are different from what I might have in the house.

Thanks for all the quick replys...We were at Camping World over the weekend and saw they had TV's that they said were made to withstand the jiggling of traveling in an RV...They were really pricey and thought I would just check with the people on this forum, we'll prolly get a small LCD from Walmart, and purchase the extended ins...You guys here are great.

Thanks again....

Hey Carl you might have just thought of a great new thread...What NOT to buy at an RV Store (Camping World)!!

John From Detroit said:
I do not think I have ever seen a special "RV" tv.. I have seen several standard home type TV's that are advertised for RV's.. And usually at a premium price, but I've never seen one truly designed for RV use.. None of mine are different from what I might have in the house.
Since you have never seen one here is a one in your lifetime opportunity to see one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Volt-Hi-Definition-Plug-Truck/dp/B00415SP4S

We had a 12Volt/110 Volt TV in our 5th wheel which worked fine for awhile on 12V but when it quit we used it on 110 till it died. I don't know that it was RV "special" but it worked fine when it worked. Took a regular TV from the house and replaced it. On 12V it would run the batteries down quite quickly. I don't klnow that I would spend the additional money for a "RV" TV.

Unless you are full timing the extended service contract will not really help much. Figure how much your on the road and then how much the TV is on during your trips and then do some simple math and see how much the extended service costs per hour of use. The actual hours used in the first year for a non full timer is not beyond the scope of infant mortality.  Burn it in in your house before installing it in the RV and the extended service isn't required. Just leave it on day and night for two or three weeks and if it's going to fail you will know under the initial warranty period.

I just read thru (quickly, I  might add) the description of the "RVTV" on Amazon.  Far as I can tell,  the only thing "RV" about this particular idiot box is that it can plug into your ciggie lighter.  I didn't see anything about "greater resistance to vibration or any such quasi-important stuff.  Just more marketing slime.

I had a 22" LCD Phillips mounted above the dashboard in my DP for a year and it is now in the bedroom.  I replaced it with a 32" Vizio LCD/LED and when we travel I slide it off the mount and lay it on the bed.  I've had no problems with the 22" vibrating on bad roads, still works great.  Both bought at Walmart.

I asked the same question back in 2009 and got about the same responses. I ended up buying a Jensen 19" anyway ONLY because the various sales & discounts at the time made it about the same price as any other I could find so I figured "why not?". Well, I can tell you it's not a very good TV. It gets the job done - the picture is good but is has terrible vertical viewing angle (looking up or down at it, the pitcure fades quickly). The remote just plain sucks.

We have used the 12V feature a couple of times, though, so that's come in handy.

I brought a regular TV from Costco and I'm pleased with how it works.  The only problem I had was paying more for a 22in than a 26in set that was on sale for less.  If I had slide outs or larger trailer I would gone for the 26in set! ;D

I know several people that uses a regular TV without any problems and they have been traveling from state-to-state for many years.

Back
Top Bottom