Portable satellite dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrod013

I have a roof mounted dish on my rig. At times it cannot pick up the signal because of trees. Thought about getting a portable dish for these times. Now, the dumb question...where would I plug in the coax cable?  I have an outside entertainment center, but that would only be for an outside tv, right? 

We have an outlet that let's us plug in either cable or portable satellite system.  Our friends didn't have a jack on the outside so they had one put in one of the bays.  they had to run a cable from the floor of the bedroom down to the bay and run the cable through.  JMO

Thanks. Will check my entertainment center first to make sure there is no satellite connector. Have not really checked it out that much since I rarely use it.

Most folks recommend re-doing the "Park cable" inlet however I do not, In my coach that is around 50 feet of RG-59.. Very cheap RG-59,  It's worth about 150 feet or more of quality RG-6

I recommend the following

First, at the receiver, install a simple A/B switch, The RCA VH71 is a very good switch for this (One whole dollar plus S&H at the Google store just now)

A- Goes to the roof (Existing cable)
B: to either a connector in the Basement, or a Bulkhead (Throughwall) connector down Below for the portable (Tripod) antenna)

Of course the remaining terminal on the swich goes to the LNB in on the receiver.. USE RG-6 Cable all the way.

Now, to switch from roof to Ground mount...

1b:First hook up ground mount,, THEN Switch the switch.

2:If using DIRECTV.. Then reset the reciver,

3:Then point the antenna

4:Then, If using DISHNETWORK do a Check Switch.

5:Then enjoy TV

To switch back to the roof mount,

1A:First switch the switch, then unhook and stow the ground mount, Move out into the clear

2A: Go to #2 above.

Back
Top Bottom