Best site to sell RV by owner??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmooney

I would like someones input on which website is the best to sell your motorhome by owner.  I have placed ads on 6 different, free websites around mid April.  I have had no responses except a couple of consignment dealers.  My price is realistic and have a good description with pictures and a link.  It's a 2008 Bounder 35E, Class A motorhome in excellent shape.  Yes, I know it's a tough time to sell with gas prices skyrocketing.  And, if someone feels like a website that costs to post your ad is better, please let me know which one.  The ones that charge that I have looked at are RVTRADERONLINE.COM, RVUSA.COM, RVSEARCH.COM and RVREGISTRY.COM.  Thanks for your input!!  Bob Mooney

Bob,
I dont know anything about your rig or even where you are but no bites or nibbles usually means it isn't priced to sell or the ad is just not interesting. 

Even at the very fair price of 73,000 (Just under NADA value) it would be tough in this market.  Dealers are selling rigs that have 120,000 price tags for 75,000, brand new with warantee.  Some friends of mine just bought a LOADED 2011 34' class A bunkhouse with 2 slides, the MSRP was 122,000 they paid 75K tax and license included.  I wouldn't want to be competing with that as a private party.  Your Bounder is a better rig than the Coachman, but brand new for the same price is still brand new. 

Since I dont know the price of your rig I can only guess from the NADA value.  In today's market people just aren't paying over low NADA for much of anything, and most lenders are so burned on RVs they wont even loan more than 75% of low NADA on a used rig.  That was what I heard from 2 different banks I talked to.  USAA being an amazing exception to that rule.

I recently bought a rig (Bounder as a matter of fact) priced well below book that had no interest what so ever.  I was the first caller who actually showed up to look at it.  It was listed in RVTraderonline, craigslist, and RVT.  The pictures were nice the ad was no nonsense and the specs on the rig were outstanding and the price was thousands below low book!  Why was I the first in over a month to respond?  The ad had no flair, nothing of interest.  For lack of a better description it was poorly marketed. 

When I sold my 1993 Pinnacle it was on the market for around 3 months and I only posted it on Craigslist.  I followed the rules and didn't re-post in under 3 days but I always made sure it was posted Friday morning.  So I would post Friday and Tuesday mornings.  If I didn't get at least 1 call per posting something was wrong, price was too high or description must be turning people off.  So for the first month I tweaked the price a LOT and rewrote the ad several times.  We initially wanted 12k for the rig and took 10,500 but the ad read like an interesting story in which Penny the Pinnacle was the pampered star of the show!  Everyone who responded said they loved the ad and wanted to meet Penny in person.  I mentioned that I sold her for 10,500 high NADA value on Penny was $6800.  A well written ad and a good price are the only ways I found to get a rig sold private party these days.

Good luck, and I hope this was helpful.

Jeff Brown

All the fee sites get more buyer traffic, but that may or may not help. There are many, many RVs for sale and yours is a common model, so lots of competition. TV Trader has 17 2008 Bounders, at least a dozen of which are 35E like yours, with prices ranging from $69l to $99k.

We advertised on Craig's List and various forums and through a 'for sale' site through DH's work for several weeks with no serious inquiries.  I put an ad with 4 pics on RVTRADERONLINE.COM on a Friday and we had cash in hand on Sunday.

I will agree that the prices for some new motorhomes make it hard to consider a used unit.  We started out looking at used Class C's then used Class A's but bought a new Class A for not much more than many of the used units we were considering.

Thanks for all the help!  One more thing...anyone have a recommendation for one of these sites to choose from to put it on line.  I've checked how much each charges, etc., but wondering which one to go with.  There is rvtraderonline.com, rvsearch.com, rvregistry.com and rvusa.com.  Thanks again, Bob 

By the way, I have it listed on this forum, if you just search for 2008 Bounder 35e, it will come up.  Any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated.

My sister-in-law sold her fifth wheel @ Craigslist.  Her price was fair and she got phone calls but didn't get a lot of interest.  Once the buyer came over and saw it he knew it was a good deal especially wth all the extra's included (like TMS) and much of the RV inventory.  She listed both the fifth wheel & truck at the same time.  Her truck took a little longer but once the ad was re-written it helped.  Finding the right key words really make a difference.  Also Jeff's idea of reposting it on Friday makes a lot of sense.

I sold mine last November on RVSearch. I received responses from a few looky-loos, a couple of dealers who basically wanted me to give my rig to them, and a few serious buyers. It took 5 months to sell. Several of the serious buyers had a problem getting financing and the deal fell through. The first guy who made a serious offer, with cash, offered $5k below my asking price, which I felt was already on the low end. I turned him down. A few weeks later another guy offered $5k less after I lowered my asking price by $1k. I said no. I should have taken the first guy's offer. 4 months after his offer and 4 more payments out of my wallet, I sold it for $7,000 less than my original asking price. Live and learn.

Good luck!

PPL Houston...consignment, not a website, they move units fast.  They charge 10% of sale price.  Downside is you have to get it to Houston.  Sellers drive in from all 50 states.  For instance, I just bought a used 31 foot TT from folks that drove it in from New Mexico.  YTD they have moved 650 units.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Bought my tt on CraigsList.Was a local seller and got great deal after a little (bargaining)  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom