rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Preparing the terlet.  (Read 5852 times)

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
Preparing the terlet.
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
Getting ready to go on our maiden "shakedown" trip this weekend. We are gonna go to a local state campground for the night to see how things work out before we head out for memorial weekend. So I was wondering what I need to do to get the toilet ready to use.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins QC 4x4 6 speed manual trans
'98 29' Coachman Royal with super slide
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

Water Dog

• ---
Re: Preparing the terlet.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Just add a few gallons of water to your black water tank. We usually fill the toilet bowl with water 3 or 4 times and flush. You don't really need chemicals, but use plenty of water when flushing solids. When you are ready to dump, if your black tank is less than about half to three quarters full, fill it to about 3/4 with water before dumping. Always dump your black tank first, then after shutting that valve, dump the gray tank .... that will help clean the hose. After dumping, go ahead and add more fresh water to your black tank, and the next time you go, it will be ready.
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
Thank you. Ive read up on dumping but couldnt find anything on prepairing. Sounds simple enough.
One more question. If there isnt a dump at the campground is it ok to travel with full waste tanks?
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Don't forget about the biodegradable toilet paper. It's about the same cost where I am and breaks down much easier. I'm sure regular paper might work but this is one part of the MH I don't want to work on if you know what I mean. Have fun/good luck on your 1st trip.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »

If there isnt a dump at the campground is it ok to travel with full waste tanks?
Won't hurt anything unless you let the black get too full. I've run mine to app. 2/3rds full, then I am looking for a station. Your grey usually needs to dump way sooner than black. 
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
Don't forget about the biodegradable toilet paper. It's about the same cost where I am and breaks down much easier. I'm sure regular paper might work but this is one part of the MH I don't want to work on if you know what I mean. Have fun/good luck on your 1st trip.

The forum has regular evaluations of TP  for RVs.   The RV TP always places poorly.   Look for TP that labels itself septic tank safe.   A good, widely available TP is Scotts Single Ply which always places high in our tests.   Moreover it is cheap, available in supermarkets and most everywhere else.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
Won't hurt anything unless you let the black get too full. I've run mine to app. 2/3rds full, then I am looking for a station. Your grey usually needs to dump way sooner than black.
O.K.
What happens if black gets to full? Does it slosh out all over the bathroom?  ??? :o :P  :barfeysmiley:
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

Conquest aka Robert

• ---
  • 1996 gulfstream conquest ultra 102
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
When you are done and coming home put a couple of gallons of water in your tank and a couple ounzes of Rid-ex. It will make sure anything that get left behind won't leave a smell.
1996 GulfStream Conquest Ultra 102  04-19-2011.
2009 Honda Ruckus
1984 Southwind for 6 years.
1 Wife
6 Children who needs pets

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
Getinaway
What happens if black gets to full? Does it slosh out all over the bathroom?
Depends on how your trailer is plumbed. I have heard of people saying there shower was plumbed into the black tank and it ended up being an overflow but have never seen this myself. If you plan on dumping at 2/3rds you shouldn't have a problem even if you are a little more than that.
Carl L
Look for TP that labels itself septic tank safe.
Good point Carl, I have been on septic since 78 and never purchased anything else. I do use 2 ply though, haven't had any issues thank goodness.
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »
Getinaway Depends on how your trailer is plumbed. I have heard of people saying there shower was plumbed into the black tank and it ended up being an overflow but have never seen this myself. If you plan on dumping at 2/3rds you shouldn't have a problem even if you are a little more than that.
I dont know how I would tell. I dont think I have any gauges. Trailer is to old.
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:54 AM »

O.K.
What happens if black gets to full? Does it slosh out all over the bathroom?  :barfeysmiley:

There are a couple of seals above the tank that are usually not underwater.

The first is where the toilet pipe and the vent line enter the top of the tank.  A leak here can let the contents of an overly full tank spill onto the top of the tank.  At best this creates a bad smell under the rig, at worst the excess can wind up on the ground.

The second is the toilet to floor flange seal.   If it's truly watertight, no problem. 

But if it seeps a little, letting the tank get that full can make the floor or carpeting around the toilet very unpleasant.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:07:58 AM by Lou Schneider »

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
I dont know how I would tell. I dont think I have any gauges. Trailer is to old.

No problemo.   Use the old Trailer Trash technique

Take flashlight;   turn on flashlight;  open toilet valve;  point flashlight down valve so that it shines down into the black tank.   Is the tank full?  2/3s full?   Dump tank time.   ;D
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
Trailer Trash Technique #2 - does the toilet "burp" or splash back when you flush it?  When you flush, the bowl contents displace an equal amount of air in the tank.   If there's a burp or splash-back, that means there's not enough space above the liquid in the tank to let the displaced air vent through the tank vent line.  Instead the air comes back up through the toilet.

Again, time to dump the tank.

FrankNSharon

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:11:15 AM »
Word of advice, it is highly recommended that you do NOT use a cell phone or iPod as the flash light in TT technique #1. There have been reports of them slipping.... :(

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »
Word of advice, it is highly recommended that you do NOT use a cell phone or iPod as the flash light in TT technique #1. There have been reports of them slipping.... :(
I read something about that somewhere ;)
I like the TT tips. They will work for me. THX
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
Sorry to get sidetracked but Frank and Sharons comment reminded me of a story. Our crew was inspecting manholes we had installed when the super looked at my boss and pointed to a fitting laying in the bottom of a manhole. He said "that's where all your profit is going, Bernie (my foreman) looked at me as if I was supposed to climb down and get it. I pulled a twenty out of my pocket and threw it down the manhole beside the fitting. Bernie said what the hell did you do that for? I replied "you didn't think I was going into that nasty manhole just for a fitting did you"?   Well, maybe you had to be there.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

master1

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
 :'( I can attest to the cell phone in pocket. NOT a good idea...
2007 Ford Expedition
2010 32' KZ Spree
Lucky to have Great wife.
Best dog of 15 years pass away this fall, will be first year with out him. tough one for sure..
Mostly weekenders and Wisconsin camping for now.
Marshfield, Wisconsin

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
The GEO method will keep your tanks clean and keep the censers working. Add 2 cups of water softener and a cup of laundry detergent to the tank. I tried it and it worked great for me.