Royal Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are two groups of people who really know how to put on a show. the Brits and the Yanks. And fast coming up... the Chinese.

I was up at 3 am to see the whole thing and I thought it was lovely. I did notice a few things.

1 - That was the most fantastic display of ugly hats I have ever seen in my life. Is there a law in England that you can't go outdoors without putting on a really ugly hat? And the one person who really needed one, William the Balding, didn't have one on most of the time.

2 - One of the reporters mentioned that Prince Charles has never put toothpaste on his own toothbrush.

3 - Wouldn't it have been wild if the flyover would have been done with V2s?

Got to love all the "pomp and circumstance" of the Royals!!  I thought Kate looked beautiful! 

I, too, stayed up all night and watched The Royal Wedding. For those of us in the west it meant staying up all night.

Hats were mostly beautiful, but there were a few "what was she thinking!!" hats.

Loved the bridal gown!

We watched it in bed, starting at around 1.00am (9.00am BST). Chris had set two DVRs to record it, but we decided to watch it live.

LOL TomS, I have to agree that some of those hats were a bit weird. Hats were a long tradition for females at UK weddings and other special occasions. I thought the tradition had died off, but I suspect that Kate's wearing of hats in public caused a lot of folks to wear them at the wedding. Methinks that hat designers and sellers, in addition to flag makers & sellers, made a bundle out of this event.

One of the reporters mentioned that Prince Charles has never put toothpaste on his own toothbrush.

The reporter may have not got the story quite right. It might be that Charles never brushed his teeth  :eek:

At the risk of offending, every time I see a British parade (for any occasion), I can only think of the exchange between US and British generals during WWII........ (Not verbatim) You have the parades, and we'll win the war !!!!!!

I guess I can understand (maybe) that some ladies would stay up at that early hour to watch it.  BUT, from this guys point of view, what a terrible waste of time, money and "snore time" especially for a wedding.

"Standing by" for the retorts !!!!!!

Well, this "lady" had no desire to miss out on sleep to see any wedding. I wanted to see her wedding dress and since I got up at 7, I think I've seen the dress about 100 times on TV and the computer. So now I'm done. Congratulations and Best Wishes and let's see something else on TV now.

Wendy
Off to shop for a "fascinator" (Oooooo, how about a Hat Day at Moab?)

razu13612 said:
BUT, from this guys point of view, what a terrible waste of time, money and "snore time" especially for a wedding.
Well if you want to sleep your life away while history is being made then be my guest.

I didn't feel it was a waste of time and it certainly didn't cost me a penny.

I am 62 years old and I figure I have about 20 years left so I want to be awake and happening as much as I can for the next 20 years. Sleeping is for babies.

What I dislike is all the references to Diana, she's Kate and I hope our Media leave her alone and not hound her like Will's mum

Loddy

Loddy,

References to Diana are of course understandable, but methinks that Kate will make her own mark.

Tom said:
Hats were a long tradition for females at UK weddings and other special occasions. I thought the tradition had died off, but I suspect that Kate's wearing of hats in public caused a lot of folks to wear them at the wedding.

Tom,
In my coverage of the event I learned that it is PROTOCOL for women to wear hats in the Abbey.  Women  were also required to wear  sleeves so that  arms and shoulders are covered.  I loved all the hats, even the ugly ones ( or sholud I say the ones I may never have chosen) I have a fascination of the Royals instilled in me by my mom long ago!

Betty

razu13612 said:
At the risk of offending, every time I see a British parade (for any occasion), I can only think of the exchange between US and British generals during WWII........ (Not verbatim) You have the parades, and we'll win the war !!!!!!

"Standing by" for the retorts !!!!!!

Allowing for how long British troops fought in WW2 and the number of British lives lost, I think that such a comment is in very poor taste. The US General was a fool.

I agree about the hats.  I saw one woman who looked like she was wearing a pie plate stuck on her head.

I have to admit that I don't understand the whole thing about Royalty.  Perhaps one of the Brits on this forum can explain this to me...what do they do?  They are totally pampered, and with the exception of Harry and William, I believe that very few have ever done an honest day's work, and yet they are treated slightly less than Gods.

As for Royalty, give me Count Basie, Duke Ellington, or King Creole anytime.

Betty Brewer said:
Tom,
In my coverage of the event I learned that it is PROTOCOL for women to wear hats in the Abbey.  Women  were also required to wear  sleeves so that  arms and shoulders are covered.  I loved all the hats, even the ugly ones ( or sholud I say the ones I may never have chosen) I have a fascination of the Royals instilled in me by my mom long ago!

Betty
I understand PROTOCOL, Betty. I am not just talking about inside of the Abbey, and not just the women. I am talking about outside, especially the guards and the military. I am just amazed that EVERY hat I saw looked uglier than the one before it. Don't they have any nice looking hats in the UK? Or does no one in the UK have any fashion sense?

Luca1369 said:
I agree about the hats.  I saw one woman who looked like she was wearing a pie plate stuck on her head.

I have to admit that I don't understand the whole thing about Royalty.  Perhaps one of the Brits on this forum can explain this to me...what do they do?  They are totally pampered, and with the exception of Harry and William, I believe that very few have ever done an honest day's work, and yet they are treated slightly less than Gods.

As for Royalty, give me Count Basie, Duke Ellington, or King Creole anytime.
I really don't understand the whole royalty thing, but it is their heritage. They said on TV this morning that the royalty costs every Britain $1.12 per year.

As for royalty give me Elvis. He IS the KING.

Wendy said:
Now, not ALL the hats were ugly, only 90% of them :)

Wendy
I think the straw hats you and Mike are wearing in you profile pix look cool. But no one in the UK is hip enough to wear something like that to the Royal Wedding.

Back
Top Bottom