Royal Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whilst I agree Elvis is the King, the Queen works very hard as an Ambassador for Britain. She has access to Heads of State that others do not and through those channels opens up business for the UK. Part of her expenses are paid by the state but I believe she contributes quite a lot each year from her own vast fortune. I am not a "Royals" fan  but she is worth her money.

Steve

Hmm!  From your numerous, let's say, unenthusiastic comments, are we to take it that you were not overly impressed?  Perhaps, if you had been in London during WW11 and suffered losses, like many of us, with V1 and V2 attacks, you might rethink your idea that V2's to celebrate the wedding day would be 'wild'.

Sea Vixen said:
Hmm!  From your numerous, let's say, unenthusiastic comments, are we to take it that you were not overly impressed?  Perhaps, if you had been in London during WW11 and suffered losses, like many of us, with V1 and V2 attacks, you might rethink your idea that V2's to celebrate the wedding day would be 'wild'.
Sorry.  Meant for Seilerbird 

seilerbird said:
As for royalty give me Elvis. He IS the KING.

An Elvis fan would know that he starred in the movie King Creole, hence the reference.

You're probably right about the protocol Betty, and it may well have extended to other places of worship. That might explain why the ladies always wore hats to chapel and church when I was growing up in the UK.

As I look back at old photos from family weddings, the females were all wearing hats.

This photo shows ladies (all members of an RVing club) in traditional Welsh costume. Notice the style of hats  ;D

Attachments

• Welsh_costume2.jpg
    Welsh_costume2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 31
[quote author=Wendy]Oooooo, how about a Hat Day at Moab?[/quote]

In addition to, or instead of, a red hat day?

Sea Vixen said:
You failed to notice that I made several very positive comments about the wedding. I was extremely impressed.

The reference to the V2 was a joke. I am sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Ned, somehow relieved you didn't say Lady Gaga, and as for hats I happen to have one I wear everywhere, people comment on it often and I am constantly asked  "when was I in the Marines". I have it on now!!

seilerbird said:
You failed to notice that I made several very positive comments about the wedding. I was extremely impressed.

The reference to the V2 was a joke. I am sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Some joke.  Seilerbird - you have a weird sense of humour.  'Nuff said, and my apologies to everyone else.  The V2 'joke' hit home hard.

Having read the comments and being English living in the UK I just have to say you don't know how hard working the Royal family are, I don't know statistics but the Queen is kept very busy with Royal engagements, as for hats they look a lot more stylish than Stetsons, and as for taste who designs the insides of RVs ? garish brassy lamps and taps with acrylic handles, floral seat coverings mixed with stripes and plain sudo leather, the designers must be glue sniffing .

I for one support the Royal family and would pay even more towards their upkeep,when I visit Buckinham Palace, Windsor Castle and such like it's always full of Americans taking Photos

Loddy :) :)

See Yall next week

catblaster said:
Ned, somehow relieved you didn't say Lady Gaga

Not in the same class, or perhaps I should say in no class.

Folks, let's not get personal here, and let's have some understanding for each others' perspectives.

As for understanding the role of the British monarchy, there are lots of explanations online, but here's a start for anyone interested:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_the_United_Kingdom

I'm not a huge supporter, but nevertheless found myself unable to resist watching the whole thing on TV in the wee hours. I certainly understood why so many Brits and others around the world celebrated the occasion, and I felt some affinity with the Royal family on this wonderful occasion.

[quote author=seilerbird]I am talking about outside, especially the guards and the military.[/quote]

Tom, I suspect you realize that what you saw today was the respective military ceremonial dress, worn on special occasions, and even everyday for those on duty around the palace. The attached photo from my BIL's wedding shows him in the ceremonial uniform of the Welsh Guards, including the bearskin hat he's holding; His battle dress was quite different, as was his daily workshop dress - see second picture of him with a very much younger Queen Elizabeth looking on.

Attachments

• John_wedding_uniform2.jpg
    John_wedding_uniform2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 41
  • John_QEII-small.jpg
    John_QEII-small.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 37
The outfit the woman in the top picture is wearing looks just like the outfit the Queen wore today for the wedding !

Wendy

Wendy, you're way more observant than me, but I thought the Queen was wearing a yellow outfit  ???

Tom said:
Wendy, you're way more observant than me, but I thought the Queen was wearing a yellow outfit  ??? 

She was, a sort of pale yellow. Isn't that yellow in your picture?

Wendy

Tom said:
Tom, I suspect you realize that what you saw today was the respective military ceremonial dress, worn on special occasions, and even everyday for those on duty around the palace. The attached photo from my BIL's wedding shows him in the ceremonial uniform of the Welsh Guards, including the bearskin hat he's holding; His battle dress was quite different, as was his daily workshop dress - see second picture of him with a very much younger Queen Elizabeth looking on.
I understand all the tradition and stuff that goes with old world countries. But still I did not see one "normal" looking hat during the entire broadcast.

Tom said:
I'm not a huge supporter, but nevertheless found myself unable to resist watching the whole thing on TV in the wee hours.

Thanks for the links Tom.  I suppose being American, I won't truly comprehend the worth of Royalty, but I did get up early to watch the events unfold and see how much it meant to the British public.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom