Royal Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The wife of British Prime Minister David Cameron apparently didn't know the dress code, or just ignored it, and went to the wedding without a hat. Check it out.

I too watched it (I am in the UK).  I thought it was great but am glad it's over now - we have had nothing but weeks of this in the newspaper and on TV, program after program about Will and Kate, the Royals etc.  It's interesting up to a point, but not when it interrupts my usual TV viewing!

I did however think that Pippa Middleton's (bridesmaid) dress was much nicer than Kate's.

The only real bloomer was David Beckham wearing his OBE on the wrong side, but then Victoria probably dressed him. As for the hats they were all amazing

Loddy  8)

Glad to hear you were in middle of the country-wide excitement Chris. Any street parties or pub parties?

I didn't stay up all night but did record it and watched last night after painting all day.  Some of the hats "were what were you thinking" but most of them were very attractive.  Hats have been in my wardrobe all my life and love wearing them.  I have been a Royal fan since the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.  In fact, my brother was living in Toronto when she was there on a visit and gave me a formal portrait of her.

Hats always adorned a women up to the 1950s, 1960s era. when women's lib set them free.... ???  Women wore hats EVERYWHERE!!!  They were dressed "proper" whenever they left the house to go shopping, to church, visiting, traveling, etc.  It was just something that was done for years throughout history.  Just look at many old family pictures and notice the hats. 

Daisy

P.S.  I didn't stay up all night, but I did enjoy the wedding highlights throughout the day on the various channels.

And now that we're liberated, I think we should start wearing hats anywhere we want to ... even UGLY ones !

Wendy

Daisy said:
Hats always adorned a women up to the 1950s, 1960s era. when women's lib set them free.... ???  Women wore hats EVERYWHERE!!!  They were dressed "proper" whenever they left the house to go shopping, to church, visiting, traveling, etc.  It was just something that was done for years throughout history.  Just look at many old family pictures and notice the hats. 

So did men, Daisy.  Up to the 1950s, fedoras were the trademark of the middle class male.  A person routinely wore them on all occasions except on vacations.  Caps, straws. and western styles gave them a bit of competition but the snapbrim fedora was the standard.  The 60s appear to have killed them off, like the 2010s are killing off the necktie.

I recorded it and watched fast forward.  Loved Princess Katherine's dress!  It was a perfect choice for her.  The hats were a hoot.  When I was growing up women ALWAYS wore hats and gloves to church and, yes, even to go shopping.  When we were dating about 1961 I wore a hat and gloves to work, as did all the other girls.  I also recall my mother being horrified that I actually went shopping during the mid-1960s at Union Square in San Francisco "without" a hat and gloves.  On the other hand, gentlemen NEVER wear a hat in church (exception being those non-Christians who always have their heads covered) .  Did you notice that someone greeted the men at the door to take their hat and gloves?  Imagine getting them all back to the correct people at the end of the ceremony.  I remembered my dad's dress uniform gloves as I watched Prince William putting them on and fiddling with the button.  They were always a devil to get hooked.  Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the pomp and finery and hope they have a long and happy marriage.

ArdraF

I was fascinated buy the pageantry and wish I understood more about what some of the uniforms stood for. For instance Flt Lt Wales was wearing the uniform of a Colonel of the Irish Guard.
Also he invited 27 of his squadron mates to the wedding. Aside from being a Royal he seems to be an upstanding person, I guess I should include Prince Harry in that also.

[quote author=Carl L].... are killing off the necktie.[/quote]

A local on-the-water bar/restaurant has a special pair of scissors; If you turn up in a necktie, it gets sheared. This has been going on for 25 years that I know of.

The same bar has lots of ladies' underwear pinned to the wall, but I won't go there  ;D

[quote author=ArdraF]Did you notice that someone greeted the men at the door to take their hat and gloves?  Imagine getting them all back to the correct people at the end of the ceremony.[/quote]

LOL Ardra, Chris said the same thing; I told her they put a post-it note on each one with the respective owner's name  ;D

Aye Dick, these two Royals (the Princes) are real working guys in the British armed forces.

I missed the whole thing thank goodness. The missus recorded it though. ::)

I went to work for NCR in 1967, they had just dropped the requirement that the techs wear a hat.  Had to wear jacket and tie, not necessarily a suit.  Then get into a grease and ink cash register. 

Tom said:
Loddy,

References to Diana are of course understandable, but methinks that Kate will make her own mark.

I think Pipa Middleton has left her Mark she was stunning

Loddy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom