Royal Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still confused about the titles.  I heard a newscaster say that Kate will not ever be a "Princess."  So, what is she?  I also wondered why both Harry and William have "Wales" as their last name on their uniforms and not the hyphenated one that they really get from their family.  Anyone know the explanation?

Titles are bestowed by the reigning monarch (currently the Queen). She gave them the titles of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Kate will become Queen Kate when William succeeds to the throne, but she will never be a reigning monarch. If William passes while he's King, the next in line (and who will succeed) will be his oldest son, which is why the pressure is already on to have children

Wales is not their last name. William's father was given the title of Prince of Wales, and somehow the "Wales" bit got tacked on as an unofficial name. IIRC it was "William of Wales", but we all know he's not "of Wales".

We were just discussing the last name - What is their last name?  Forgive my ignorance.

Whew, it is pretty confusing but I guessed yesterday that the last name was Windsor and I think I will stick with that.  Only "Wiki" will know if I'm wrong! Right??

[quote author=workingtorv]I guessed yesterday that the last name was Windsor....[/quote]

IMHO that would be a good guess, although they try to confuse it with all these titles.

BTW those titles come with land rights. The folks in Cambridgeshire better get ready to pay more poll tax (aka property tax or rates), or whatever they call it in the UK nowadays.

I did a search and it said that their last name is "Mountbatten-Windsor"  for what its worth.  It also did say that they don't actually ever use their last names.

[quote author=4ducksrus].... their last name is "Mountbatten-Windsor"....[/quote]

Yep, as in Earl Mountbatten, Uncle to Prince Charles. Originally it was Battenberg (sp?), but was changed to Mountbatten during WWII when the Germans were bombing the UK.
Edit: Corrected origin of Mountbatten.

Tom S,

Have you booked your flight to the UK in search of your next mate from the British aristocracy or the hangers-on  ???

The younger generation might appreciate your guitar playing  ;D
Edit: Fixed typo.

Tom said:
Tom S,

Have you booked your flight to the UK in search of your next mate from the British aristocracy or the hanger-ons  ???

The younger generation might appreciate your guitar playing  ;D
No, I am not interested in finding a woman. Every time I do my life goes to hell. Besides, Kate's mom is already married.

Maybe it's good you don't Tom  ;)  A bloke is the UK equivalent of a guy, but I think that was Loddy's Brit humor, which doesn't always translate well across the Atlantic.

I had a hunch that was what that meant. No, blokes are not an option. I am a loner.

When we first moved to California, a colleague at work came in one day and wanted to know what a "bloat" was. After having him repeat it several times, I asked where he'd heard it. When he said he was watching a British soap opera, I figured out he'd mis-heard the term "bloke".

Back
Top Bottom