1991 Onan BGE generator crank wont start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonef

Hello all,
Have another issue I would love some help with. The Generator on my 91 flair motorhome cranks but wont start. I have replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil and it is topped off. I have replace the orginal fuel and now the gas tank is 1/2 full. The generator hasn't been run for probably 7 years.  Thanks in advance

I have taken the air filter off and tried  starter fluid, and someone suggested wd40.  ????

I would check the following, in the order listed.  1.  Disconnect fuel line at filter and hit start switch.  See if fuel is coming out of line. If that's ok 2. Remove and replace oil pressure sending unit (located underneath the oil filter).

Ours had been sitting a while and quit running shortly after we bought it (had only 125 hours in ten years).  Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. About $120 or so from Cummins.  Once we got it running again we've exercised it once a month and have not had further problems. 

If it hasn't been run in seven years, you might want to check the carb (as long as you're getting good fuel flow to it).  Old gas will gum up a carb and render it virtually useless until it is cleaned and new gas is run through it.

I would say that if you have sprayed starting fluid into the carburetor, and it wont fire, and I assume you have the butterfly open, then it would lead me to believe the problem is electrical.  Either the coil, or the points.  If it has a control board, I would check that as well as the connections to it.  Also, I believe that there is a fuse on the generator that could be bad.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom