Calling all ukulele players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have sang and performed on stage all my life and I would never consider doing it without a monitor. If you would try it with a monitor you would understand. Remember the Bee Gees? They used to sing with their hand cupped around their ear so they could hear themselves better. Try that right now. Sing with your hands by your side and then sing the same thing with both hands cupped around your ears. Another problem of performing without a PA is you must sing everything loud. That removes dynamics from the equation and singing without dynamics is not the proper way to sing. Most songs do have soft and loud parts.

Sounds like I've sung incorrectly all my life, and I'm too old to change now  :(

In an earlier message I was told that I couldn't sing loudly without a PA system or without shouting. Now I'm being told I can't sing softly without a PA system. I'm going back to fly fishing as a hobby  ;D

Tom said:
Sounds like I've sung incorrectly all my life, and I'm too old to change now  :(

Those are the exact words people use to describe my singing, but I'll bet we sound nothing alike ;) :D ??? .

LOL Lou. A friend and forum member was asked by his music teacher not to sing in her class  ;D

Makes me wonder how all those barbershop quartets can sing in tune without any electronics  ???

Aye Ned, and a whole bunch of a capella choruses and choirs I can think of.

Tom said:
LOL Lou. A friend and forum member was asked by his music teach to not sing in her class  ;D

LOL, been there, done that.

When we were all kids, my brother and sister used to sing hymns (as a duet) every Sunday in our church.  I wasn't even allowed to utter a sound, while they practiced, much less sing with them on Sunday.  I'm still the voice that you wished you couldn't hear when singing along with the entire congregation.

I'm afraid my musical instrument playing suffered the same fate.  I told my school band teacher that I wanted to play the trumpet in the school marching band.  She let me try several different horns before suggesting that maybe the drums were more my calling.
We used to practice, in the class room, using a rubber pad.  Unfortunately, I never progressed past the rubber pad.

Have you noticed that there isn't much call for a 'Rubber Pad' player in a marching band ??? :(

Just got home from the choral concert and, as predicted, it was a wonderful show. A number of our ukulele players also attended, and some commented how lucky we are to have the Choral Director be our ukulele Music Director.

I might get an opportunity to talk about it one on one with chorus members this evening, during the break at their concert.

I was pleasantly surprised when a number of the choralists came up to me before the concert, during the break, and at the end, and made positive comments about my "out of tune shouting" last Monday. The Assistant Choral Director, who actually directed that number, came up to me and, without prompting, said "you were in tune for the whole thing on Monday". Whew! Prior to this evening, I was starting to get an inferiority complex because I hadn't used monitors to tell me I was singing in tune.

A number of folks asked me if/when I'd be joining the chorus but, alas, one has to live in their community to participate. A couple of folks jokingly offered me their address so I could fake my residence. With their Choral Director being a long time friend, it would be tough to get away with that  :(

One of the choralists told me she'll be joining our ukulele group. Rumor has it that there are six others who plan to do the same; That will add some "good" volume to our singing (and they'll be in tune).

>>A number of folks asked me if/when I'd be joining the chorus but, alas, one has to live in their community to participate. A couple of folks jokingly offered me their address so I could fake my residence. <<

Sounds like it's time to change the residency requirements!!! ;D ;D

[quote author=Jim Dick]Sounds like it's time to change the residency requirements!!![/quote]

Aye, I wish they would Jim. Unfortunately, their board is hard and fast on that one. However, my friend (the music director) has been making noises about starting a separate chorus. He's already music director for two other groups and our ukulele players; I have no idea where he gets the time and energy, let alone the creativity. As a mutual friend said last night "he's in his element".

[quote author=PancakeBill]Just have hom reorganize the current one without a 'parent park'.  Then chage the park to perform.[/quote]

No 'park' Bill, these are neighborhoods with single home residences.

He wouldn't be allowed to join even if he had a real uke and could play  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom