Calling all ukulele players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last evening we held a brief concert for the Summerset Singers choral group at their annual end-of-season dinner party. What an honor to play and sing in front of this wonderful group of musicians and singers. Approx 150 in the audience, and they sang along with the non-Hawaiian songs.

A few of the choral group came up to me (again) and made some nice comments about my (Welsh) singing to them at their last practice. What an honor!

We had several new recruits for our ukulele group from amongst the audience.

I'm changing my name to Tiny Tim, or maybe Tiny Tom  ;D

Our next concert is at an Hawaiian luau for another assisted living place. We'll have a couple of hula dancers along. I gotta get with those Hawaiian songs.

You should look good in a grass skirt :)  Can you sing Hawaiian Love Song in Welsh?

You can change your name to Tiny Tim but you'll never know as many songs as he did :)

Tom said:
I'm changing my name to Tiny Tim, or maybe Tiny Tom  ;D
During the 70s and 80s whenever we had a family get together everyone would get half smashed and insist that I play my guitar for them. I would do a number of straight songs like Blackbird and Stairway to Heaven and then when they got good and drunk I would sing Dead Puppies, which was always met with great approval. But the finale was always Tip Toe Through The Tulips done in the gayest Tiny Tim style I could muster. My version almost made Tiny Tim look straight. I don't think I could sing it now since my register has dropped with old age. The ironic thing is I never really learned all the words so I was always faking it in the middle section but everyone was laughing so hard no one ever noticed.

[quote author=Ned]You should look good in a grass skirt[/quote]

Been there, done that.

Can you sing Hawaiian Love Song in Welsh?

Only if you sing it first.

... you'll never know as many songs as he did

I doubt that very much. But, if you said "you'll never know/play as many tunes as he did", I'd agree 110%.

[quote author=seilerbird]]I don't think I could sing it now since my register has dropped with old age.[/quote]

Even with my current (deep) base voice, I could still sing it in his register  ;)

If/when I put on my best female Welsh voice, folks who've known me for 40+ years have no idea who I am  ;D

Tom said:
Even with my current (deep) base voice, I could still sing it in his register  ;)
Yes, but I don't think you could sing it in the register I used to sing it in. I really gayed it up.

For sure Tiny Tim had an encyclopedic knowledge of music, especially the 20s and 30s but I don't think he knows as many songs as I do. Seriously, there are very few people on this planet that know as many songs as I do.

I had no idea someone had a video camera on us yesterday; I suspect it was a DSC with limited video capability and not very good audio. This wasn't our best number, but we got what we got. We're missing a couple of players/singers due to vacations. Yours truly is nearest the camera in the back row, and I'm the deepest voice, although the key is a bit of a (high) stretch for me in my normal voice.

The lady to my right was born in Hawaii and plays by ear. She's only now starting to read the music (actually, lead sheets). The lady in front of me has been playing for 60 years, so I've got a ways to go. The guy facing the camera in the front row is our music director, and has been playing the ukulele for less time than me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ron94513/20110720?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-C48Chy7j4rgE#5631588952067573154

Robert, we had a plan to buy Ernie a grass skirt and a coconut bra, but someone dropped the ball. You are coming to our next practice with a ukulele, right?

We continue to practice for an upcoming luau at another assisted-living home in another town. Last night we practiced at our home, and the hula dancer was in attendance.

Tomorrow I go check out the facility, the seating and the audio opportunities with the music director.

Last evening we were joined by a good friend of mine, a 90+ year-old with a home in Kona in addition to his home in the Bay area. He owns a couple of Martin ukuleles in addition to a Kamaka, both top-of-the-line brands. He brought two to our practice last evening. I tuned both of them, but then realized he didn't play a note.

Having spent a number of years living on the big island, our guest was enamored by the singing and dancing of our group, although a number of our best players were missing due to vacations. He left early, but whispered in my ear that he was leaving both his Martin and his Kamaka for me to play. I called this morning to confirm he was serious, and he told me to play them as long as I wish.

Oooh! They are wonderful instruments that I've been playing all day.

Tom,

I don't know anything about Kamaka but Martin is a great name in string instruments. When visiting Chet Parks, we've had the opportunity to tour the Martin Guitar factory twice. Don't remember any Ukeleles but do remember the $50,000 guitar!!! :) It was one of the Tree of Life models.

I expect you will play much better just knowing what you are holding. :)

[quote author=Jim Dick]I expect you will play much better just knowing what you are holding.
[/quote]

Aye, and now that I can play somewhat, I sure have a better appreciation for a good instrument.

Interestingly, after showing the guy how to play a simple chord, he asked if the Martin was that much better than a cheap instrument; I picked up the $20 piece of Chinese junk I bought our 2 year old grandson and we alternately played the same chord. He quickly appreciated the difference  ;D

Tom, it's not a very good picture, but does your Martin uke look something like this one?

Attachments

• Martin Ukulele.jpg
    Martin Ukulele.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 20
Not my uke per se Ned, but it's the one on the left. Darker wood, but the same non-geared tuning pegs. It's concert size, as is my hibiscus Fluke. The Kamaka is the Pineapple, and the blue one is the Chinese-made Mahalo, both soprano ukes.

Looks like the one in your photo might be from the Martin factory/museum.

Attachments

• IMG_4107-2.jpg
    IMG_4107-2.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 16
[quote author=seilerbird]But if it is easier to play then there is something wrong with the $200 one.[/quote]

Not easier to play, but it does have a better tone than the Fluke or any wooden uke I've tried/played under $500.

Tom said:
Not easier to play, but it does have a better tone than the Fluke or any wooden uke I've tried/played under $500.
That I can agree with. Martins just sound amazing.

Back
Top Bottom