Calling all ukulele players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today Chris and I attended a luncheon at a local club where the entertainment was provided by William Florian, formerly a lead singer and guitar player with the 60's/70's group The New Christy Minstrels. What a blast! It brought back lots of memories, although I couldn't keep my eyes off his chord hand  ;D

I frequently open and close these club events by leading the audience in a couple of well-known songs, including God Bless America. William, having heard my opener, invited me to join him on stage for a duet. What an honor, but I declined, preferring not to risk messing up his act  :(

Attachments

• WilliamFlorian.jpg
    WilliamFlorian.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 12
Tom said:
although I couldn't keep my eyes off his chord hand  ;D
Yep, you are becoming a player. That is what we all do. I remember in 1965 watching a movie of English rock acts doing their big hit of the day. The Animals came on and did House of the Rising Sun. I was with the two guitarist in my band (I was the drummer) and we didn't know how to play HOTRS and sheet music was not available for anything back them. So we all sat there in the theater announcing the chords as we saw him change chords. We walked home saying A minor, C, D, F, A minor, C, E. Then I spent the next month trying to get it note for note to the record. It was a real struggle but I finally got it. 40 years later I discovered they were lip syncing and the guitar part was really two parts, with one of them overdubbed since they only had one guitars. The first bass note was played by one guitar and then the sweep picking was done by another. Trying to play both parts when I could barely play guitar was a real challenge. But it was worth it.

[quote author=seilerbird]So we all sat there in the theater announcing the chords as we saw him change chords.[/quote]

LOL Tom, now I don't feel so bad. Part of our gig last Saturday included a few hours of teaching by a talented music teacher and uke player. One of the lady's techniques was to assign "positions" of her uke to a given chord. So, for example, if she held her uke in a vertical position it signified a C chord. If she held it horizontally to right it signified a G chord, and so on.

I couldn't remember what the various positions stood for, so a guitar player in our group (sitting next to me) called out the chords for me. However, he was also watching the gal's fingers, and he'd sometimes call out the guitar chord, which was obviously wrong for the uke. Then he'd correct himself, which made for an interesting training session.

40 years later I discovered they were lip syncing and the guitar part was really two parts, with one of them overdubbed since they only had one guitars.

Now that's funny!

It is a funny story but I am glad I learned it like that since just playing one of the guitar parts without the other sounds terrible.

[quote author=seilerbird]Let us know what you end up with.[/quote]

After an all-day trip, including a long drive each way and playing a bunch of different makes & models of ukulele, I came home with a concert Fluke. It's small brother, the Soprano Flea, is a neat instrument, as is it's cousin the Flea banjuke. They're supposed to come out with a Fluke banjuke in the next year or so, and by then I'll be ready to play it.

That looks really cool Tom, I have never seen one shaped like that. I assume you are happy with the way it sounds. How are you coming on the Bb chord? I have got 10 of the 12 measures of the opening to Johnny B Goode down pat at 50% speed. It will be at least one more month until I have all 12 measures at 100% speed. The reason it is taking so long is I am going to get perfect to the record.

Aye Tom, there are now two of us in the group with Flukes. I stopped by the other guy's house on the way home, and had him play both his and mine. He feels I got a decent uke at a good price.

[quote author=seilerbird]I assume you are happy with the way it sounds.[/quote]

Yes, it sounds at least as good as equivalently priced wooden ukes I tried, and a whole lot better than some wooden ones. Obviously not in the class of a $4,000 Martin, but definitely better than the soprano Lanikai I have.

How are you coming on the Bb chord?

Slow, but your tips helped a lot. Now I have to re-train my fingers for the wider neck and further-spaced frets on the Fluke.

I have to learn a bunch of Hawaiian songs I'd never heard before. We have a live performance on June24, which doesn't give me much time. So I've been busy downloading them from iTunes and played them over and over in the car today. Unfortunately, a number of the songs have different arrangements and, until I hear them played at practice on Monday, I don't know for sure which arrangements they'll be playing.

Can you do an audio recording of a practice session so you could play along with that? Or maybe you could get one of the other members to record the songs for you.

BTW - it seems like it takes forever for a beginner to feel confident with the Bb (F) chord. But once you do it is all a lot easier. And then as soon as you can get the chord changes on your first song down pat you will have an "ah-ha" moment realizing you actually can play a uke. Just don't get discouraged and give up. But with you new baby you will be wanting to play more often.

Tom,

Many years ago I built a UKIN from plans. It's the size of a ukelele but more round. I have it on the coach. Might just have to drag it out and see if it will play. ;D ;D If I do I'll post a photo.

Looking forward to seeing the photo Jim. I couldn't figure out what a UKIN is. Would it be like a banjuke? This guy made a banjuke from an Oreo cookie tin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkgkSfOigA&feature=player_detailpage

[quote author=seilerbird]Can you do an audio recording of a practice session so you could play along with that?[/quote]

Aye Tom, I might take a recorder to the next practice session. Once I have the tunes in my head I can use the respective fake sheets to play them.

Tom,

The Ukin is the size of a Ukelele but the body is round. It's in the back of a cabinet so I'll have to dig it out when I have time.

[quote author=seilerbird]I would suggest .... having a guitar tech check the set up to make sure it is intonated properly (this insures the strings are in tune with each other).[/quote]

This had me curious Tom.

The way I would tune each string to the others would be:

• First, tune the open 3rd string (C) to either middle C on a piano, or to an electronic tuner.
  • Tune the open 4th string (G) to the 3rd string, 7th fret.
  • Tune the open 2nd string (E) to 3rd string, 4th fret.
  • Tune the open 1st string (A) to 2nd string, 5th fret.
Why would I need a tech for that?

You are putting all the strings in tune with each other. That is the proper thing to do.

Adjusting the intonation is making sure the string is in tune with itself. But now that I think about my remark I realize that a uke might not have an adjustable bridge at the price point your is.

Here is a better explanation. If you take a guitar string and depress it at the 12th fret (that special fret with two dealybop things to mark the position) then you are effectively cutting the string in half. The note you sound at the 12th should be exactly one octave higher than the unfretted note. In other words from do to Do (do re mi). Now if the bridge is placed perfectly then the two notes will be PERFECTLY in tune. If the bridge is not placed perfectly then the distance from the nut to the 12th fret will be different than the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. It the distance from the 12th to the bridge is shorter than the nut to 12 distance then the note will be sharp. If the distance is longer the note will be flat. When you are first beginning you will be playing only in first position (right next to the nut) so you won't notice bad intonation or the fact that your guitar isn't really in tune.

But the reason I recommend making sure the intonation is set correctly for a beginner is that you don't want to be starting out listening to a (very slightly) out of tune guitar (uke). It really helps to have an instrument that can be tuned properly so you can learn to hear the notes properly right from the start. If there is no adjustment on the bridge you should still take it into a guitar tech and ask him to check the intonation. He will probably do it for free since it can be done in 15 seconds. If he says it is not intonated properly and there is no easy way to adjust it then you should return it and get a different uke. This is why I suggested at least spending $200 on a uke because at that price point it will probably have acceptable intonation.

Learning guitar is hard enough. Learning on a perpetually out of tune instrument is way harder.

If he can set the intonation you should have him then do a complete set up which includes making sure the string height is correct and that there are no string buzzes. This setup is something you should have done as soon as you buy the thing and then you will probably never have to have it done again, unless you use it in defense against Chris ;D

Thanks for that explanation Tom.

.... I realize that a uke might not have an adjustable bridge at the price point your is.

I'm not sure I've seen or read about any uke with that feature, but I'll do more research.

The note you sound at the 12th should be exactly one octave higher than the unfretted note.

Using my keyboard and my ears, as best I can tell, all the strings meet that criteria.

This is why I suggested at least spending $200 on a uke because at that price point it will probably have acceptable intonation.

Does $199.99 count?

FWIW Chris is out of town for the weekend, so I'm having a musical weekend with the dog. Fortunately the dog has long floppy ears and, so far, isn't complaining ;D

Tom,

Here are some photos of the Ukin. Appears I need new strings. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Jim. That sure looks like a banjuke. Does it have a banjo kinda sound?

Tom,

No, it definitely sounds like a Ukelele. It has been many years since I "tried" to play it. May just get some strings and give it another whirl!

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

Here are some photos of the Ukin. Appears I need new strings. ;D
Oh yeah, I recognize that. I saw a woman wearing it as a hat at the Royal Wedding. ;D

Boom Crash....

Back
Top Bottom