Calling all ukulele players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom J, now that you have mastered the ukulele, is this your next challenge?

I'm a very long way from mastering the ukulele; I merely have a better understanding of what I don't know, and of how far I really have to go.

No enzontar in my future  ;D

Last evening was my first experience of playing/singing outdoors. We played and sang for a luau at an assisted-living home in another town. We played on their patio and were fortunate to have an arbor for overhead shade, in addition to shade trees. We also had a gentle breeze that helped keep things cool (but blew our music around a bit).

The group wasn't mic'd and, as expected, the sound didn't project very far into the audience.

We mic'd a few solos and duets, and they sounded great, in addition to amplifying our guitarist who played base riffs.

This was also my first all-Hawaiian performance. Some of those songs are tough to sing and play, but the group practiced hard for this performance. There were a couple of minor boo boos, but overall a solid performance (if the audience could hear us). Our hula dancer probably captured most of the audience's attention  ;D

Another learning experience for me, and I think I'd decline any further outdoors performances.

We have a 2-week break  before practicing for our next performance. Today I took the opportunity to learn to play a few songs that I've only sung a cappella. I also practiced a number of songs that I'll be teaching our grandsons (on ukulele) when they arrive for the Labor Day holiday weekend.

Edit: I just ordered a second el cheapo uke from amazon.com so they (the grandkids) don't argue about who plays when.

One couple in our group recently returned from an RV trip where they played and sang at a number of campgrounds. I'd really love to get to the point where I could do that.

Saturday I launched the jet boat and headed out on the CA Delta to hook up with several ukulele-playing friends who were anchored on the water. One guy had brought his uke, but the other guy had forgotten his, so I brought along a couple of extras. We had a fun time just jamming some Hawaiian songs. Wish I'd asked someone to take a picture. Maybe there was a candid cameraman  ???

Attachments

• BRP_docked.jpg
    BRP_docked.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 15
Initially, Dana hosted the Cluck and Bubble behind their boat, and we thought we'd serenade the ladies. But I think they got tired of it (or wanted less distraction), and they moved to another boat. I was grateful for that because all that cluckle right behind me (I was on the stern seat, and the ladies were seated right behind me) was playing havoc with my ears. Just one step away from being in a noisy restaurant, maybe worse.

That's the plan  :D

Ernie was telling everyone at practice last evening about our playing on the Delta.

Had a wonderful experience this afternoon. A prior member of our group, a Hawaiian lady, taught us to play and sing some unknown (to me) Hawaiian songs. Our music director was especially attentive, because he's going to need to teach this stuff to the rest of the group.

Several key elements were apparent:

• Unique Hawaiian strumming.
  • A voice that allows switching pitch above and below the "break" point. Our music director equated it to yodeling.
  • Pronounciation of the Hawaiian lyrics.
Definitely a challenge for my deep voice and my accent, but the lady (an experienced player/singer) did a wonderful job.

Our ukulele group, under the leadership of our (recently appointed) music director, continues to practice and to add new songs. We also continue to perform at various locations in the surrounding area. It's coming time to add Christmas songs/carols to our repertoire, and we'll start this coming Tuesday.

We played/sang at another assisted-living home last Thursday, and the audience was quite participative, singing along. We even had a harmonica player in the audience who played along, although I'm not sure he was playing the same song(s) as us.

I'm still looking forward to the day when I can play without the music (lead sheets), so I can entertain at a campground somewhere without needing to have a music stand.

I'm also looking forward to the day when I can play "George Formby style". George was a Lancashire (UK) guy who taught himself to play the banjouke, and entertained UK audiences for many years. I've been following this YouTube video for a lesson in how to play George Formby style (it's a tricky strum). The guy in the video is quite subdued, but he plays and teaches quite well.

Meanwhile, I've satisfied my goal of finding an instrument small enough to take along in the coach or on the boat, and which can be played to accompany myself singing.

Back
Top Bottom