"Windows Security Alert" virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi,
Tara has contracted the above virus (or a variant). Symptoms:
* Windows Security Alert Box - new icon in trey
* Popup "Security alert" - Do you want to run your antivirus software now?  (Already running AVG)
* Essentially blocks any other program from starting and reports a bad file for it
* Won't allow start in Safe mode -
* Eventually starts explorer (we both use Firefox) and asks you to buy SW

Clues as to how to remove???

TIA,
Ernie

Complete instructions can be found here, but just use malwarebytes anti-malware and it should do the trick.  It is also free.

http://www.malwarehelp.org/fake-windows-security-center-analysis-and-removal-2009.html

You can follow those instructions but since you can't boot to safe mode, I would download the 2 specified programs (Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and MalwareBytes?s Anti-Malware) on another computer and put them on a USB flash drive.  Then run them from the flash drive on the infected computer and hope the virus doesn't block them.  Don't skip the last 2 steps, toggling System Restore off then on to remove any trace of the virus in the system restore files, and run the tools again to insure the system has been cleaned.

Let us know how you fair, these can be difficult to remove.

My suggestion would be that after you get the virus removed, I would get rid of the AVG, and get either Avira or Avast virus protection.  Both are free.  I now have Avira, and found a several infections that my AVG had missed.

Good Luck

Paul

Unfortunately, no one anti-virus program will catch all malware, but it's not a good idea to run more than one at a time.  I've found that the MS Security Essentials program (free from Microsoft) is as good as any at catching malware while not being intrusive.  In addition, run one or more of the standalone AV programs periodically just to be safe.

I am sure glad I don't have to use anti virus and anti malware software. It is cheaper and easier to learn the proper way to use a computer.

I'm Back,
Ran Kas... after deleting one file (forgot to note name-slipping in old age) in Task Mgr. Couldn't run from thumbdrive, but deleting that file temporarily eliminated the Security notifications. I installed Kas.. on C, ran it in standard (not safe) mode and Kas.. found three infections and deleted 1, then disabled the next two. It then locked up.
It now reboots, and connects to Inet (which it did not before. But its very slow! No longer get the Security notification.
At the moment, I'm running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It say its identified 6 more infected objects (quickscan); suspect this means buy their sw to delete them??
Ernie

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software has a free version here that will remove the malware it finds.  No need to buy the Pro version.

Thanks, all (and esp. schoolsout2 & Ned). I've got it cleaned up. I might note that the instruction to use Windows + Scroll locked up the computer. I went to the control panel to turn Restore Off and On.
Thanks again,
Ernie (& Tara is happy too)

I wonder if you got hit by the same thing that hit me last weekend?  "XP Home Security 2011"?  It was really nasty.  Symantec couldn't find it.  I was finally able to recover by going back to an earlier System Restore Point.  Symantec finally was able to find the executable file today with new AV definitions that came in today.

seilerbird said:
I am sure glad I don't have to use anti virus and anti malware software. It is cheaper and easier to learn the proper way to use a computer.
NEWSFLASH!

I caught the "XP Anti-Spyware" virus from a broadcast TV related site. If that's not "proper" use of a computer, I don't know what is. This was a well known and used professional engineering site, and when I talked to our IT department, they weren't at all surprised at all saying most of the problems lately are coming from otherwise credible sites. Unless you are completely unplugged from the internet and sandbox anything you do into your primary PC, I would be really careful with the flippant use of "proper".. If you don't use anything, it's just a matter of time that you will be here asking for the same help.

To the OP: Malwarebytes and Spyware Doctor seen to be the only two pieces of software that roots these new malware viruses out. The problem is some are smart enough to not allow you to boot or unzip the rescue programs.

It used to be that a user had to do something explicit to get infected with malware but that's no longer true.  Even well known, reputable, web sites have been hacked and malware can be acquired just by opening a page at a hacked site.  While for years I didn't use any anti-virus software, as it was too intrusive, that's no longer safe to do.  There are some excellent, non-intrusive, AV programs available as well as addons for the browsers that will keep the bad stuff out of your computer.  It's much easier to keep it out than it is to remove it later.

Glad to hear it worked for you, Jerry.

Microsoft Security Essentials is, today at least, one of the top rated AV programs.  It's very non-intrusive and it's free.  But if you do get infected, MalwareBytes.org is the first place to go for a cure.

Ned, does Microsoft Security Essentials happily co-exist with other anti-virus software such as AVG?

You should never run more than one AV program at a time, they will interfere with each other.  The best that will happen is occasional programs seeming to hang up, and at worst, actual data corruption.

Thanks, that was my recollection from the past, but didn't know if it was still true.

SCVJeff said:
NEWSFLASH!

I caught the "XP Anti-Spyware" virus from a broadcast TV related site. If that's not "proper" use of a computer, I don't know what is. This was a well known and used professional engineering site, and when I talked to our IT department, they weren't at all surprised at all saying most of the problems lately are coming from otherwise credible sites. Unless you are completely unplugged from the internet and sandbox anything you do into your primary PC, I would be really careful with the flippant use of "proper".. If you don't use anything, it's just a matter of time that you will be here asking for the same help.

To the OP: Malwarebytes and Spyware Doctor seen to be the only two pieces of software that roots these new malware viruses out. The problem is some are smart enough to not allow you to boot or unzip the rescue programs.
I use Chrome as my browser and it will issue you a warning before you can access a site that will infect your computer. If your browser does not warn you then I don't consider that using a computer properly.

If I get a virus I certainly won't come to an RV site looking for help removing my virus. I have cleaned viruses out of many computers for customers. If it were to happen to me I would simply reinstall Windows. That takes me about an hour to reinstall Windows and all my apps. I find that a lot easier solution than putting up with anti-virus software, endless updates and anti-malware. My way costs me no money, does not slow down my computer and it actually works 100% of the time. 31 years and counting without a virus.

Wandering said:
seilerbird,

If you do not run any software to detect viruses or malware, how do you know when you have a problem of that type?

Because my computer runs flawlessly 2/7/365. I also check the list of running processes frequently to make sure there is nothing there that should not be there.

Back
Top Bottom