"Windows Security Alert" virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SCVJeff said:
NEWSFLASH!

I caught the "XP Anti-Spyware" virus from a broadcast TV related site.
A virus is a program that must be executed in order to do damage to your computer. You cannot get a virus just from visiting a web site. Ned is correct, you can get malware, but not a virus. If you did get a virus put on your computer from a web site it could not do any damage until you execute the file. Windows will not let you execute a file without giving you a big warning screen first. So you had to visit a malicious site with a lousy browser and then tell Windows to execute the virus exe to get the virus. That is not proper use of a computer.

Here's some interesting (and not too technical) reading on whether or not one must "execute" a virus to get infected.  Personally, there are too many hidden/semi-hidden ways to execute some types of files for me to go without anti-virus protection.  Also, attempting to monitor my system by evaluating running processes would be far too time consuming for me.  Personally, I choose maintaining OS updates and running an anti-virus app (MSE).

At the very least, don't allow Javascript to run in the browser without any notice.  All current browsers have the capability of allowing JS only for selected web sites.  Javascript is one way a virus can be introduced in a computer without any action by the user.

It's difficult today to make a distinction between viruses, worms, spyware, and other forms of malicious software, so it's all lumped under the term "malware".  See this article for a good discussion.

Ned is correct, running Javascript is dangerous and something I never do.

Unfortunately, many web sites won't work correctly, if at all, without Javascript.  For example, look at the source code for this page and see that there are several JS scripts that make it work.

This is a review from PCmag.com regarding Microsoft Security Essentials.

Pros
Spare, simple user interface. Insulates user from confusing details, while making details available if desired. Good ratings from independent labs. Free.

Cons
Protection weaker under Windows XP. Mediocre results in hands-on malware blocking and malware removal tests. Left some threats running after alleged removal.

Bottom Line
If using a Microsoft product gives you a warm, safe feeling you may consider relying on Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus protection. The independent labs give it good ratings, for the most part. In my own testing, though, it didn't shine. Other free products offer better protection.

But if you do get infected, MalwareBytes.org is the first place to go for a cure.
Guys, one other comment about putting this program on a flash drive. A friend got infected with something about 2 weeks ago. Could not see any of his software programs on the drive. They were there, apparently malware was hiding them so he could not run them. He used a flash drive with the above program on it and everything returned to normal. The hacks are getting smarter....

seilerbird said:
A virus is a program that must be executed in order to do damage to your computer. You cannot get a virus just from visiting a web site. Ned is correct, you can get malware, but not a virus. If you did get a virus put on your computer from a web site it could not do any damage until you execute the file. Windows will not let you execute a file without giving you a big warning screen first. So you had to visit a malicious site with a lousy browser and then tell Windows to execute the virus exe to get the virus. That is not proper use of a computer.
Now you're talking semantics. Regardless of what you want to call it,  it's still intrusive and can easily disable the PC. I caught this through corporate Sophos protection as well as Essentials AND Spyware Blaster.

As a former IT director, I spend many hours fighting spyware and virus programs that get into systems.  With 200 computers and 400 users, my experience taught me to plan for the worst.  You will be hit no matter what preparations you take.  No one program will protect you!  Worst case, reformat and reinstall.  This is not always an option.  One thing I used for a worst case is called BartPE (freeware).  This creates a bootable cd/dvd that will boot the computer and allow you to access the drive to clean things up.  This is NOT for the faint of heart.

I found virus programs on install disc from microsoft,  had Expensive AV software that failed at the worst time and Innocent users clicking on email attachments they thought were legitimate. 

How do I avoid spyware and virus activity, I changed to a MAC.  How can you protect yourself?  Run the updates to plug the holes, use an AV program and scan for spyware often.  I spent many hours retrieving documents that were critical and not backed up (another story).  Backup your "stuff".  The best thing I found was the suggested clean-reinstall, but that often had many problems of its own such as drivers, and software license lost.

SCVJeff said:
I caught this through corporate Sophos protection as well as Essentials AND Spyware Blaster.
And that is exactly why I don't use anti-virus programs. They are not 100% effective and they give you a false sense of security.

seilerbird said:
And that is exactly why I don't use anti-virus programs. They are not 100% effective and they give you a false sense of security.
As you pointed out, this is NOT a virus.

Back
Top Bottom