Part-Time or Workamping that include healthcare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoemorn

I'm fairly certain this will be a "no" from most of you, but in case any of you have heard of job positions that were part time, even ones that could be classified as 'workamping' and  included healthcare benefits? I'd like to hear what they were as I look at options for my family of four considering the FTRV lifestyle.

I don't know of any. Even seasonal federal employees don't get health care (which is why Mike went from seasonal to full-time with the National Park Service). You might find some private jobs that have a healthcare plan you can pay into on your own. You'll probably have to find a job that pays enough for you to pay for your own health plan.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, that's kinda what I figured.  But thought I'd ask just in case my assumptions were wrong.  Part timers can really get the shaft when it comes to hours too (working up to just an hour or so under Full Time but not getting any benefits), ha, so I dunno what I was thinking that maybe there'd be some kinda part time gigs that since the pay rate is often low, might offset it with healthcare benefits.

search goes on for how to fund a fulltime RV life for me and my fam.    :eek:

Getting health insurance is headache.... :D  You and your family are young; but my husband retired at 58 and we are still paying for our own private insurance coverage.  It is costing us close to $15,000 per year and it's a $5,000 deductible policy.  But, you can't go without it anymore.

Hopefully you can pick up a private policy that isn't nearly as costly as ours because of your age. 

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
It is costing us close to $15,000 per year and it's a $5,000 deductible policy.  But, you can't go without it anymore.

I guess I'll quit complaining about our $400 a month for health insurance.

I'd be delighted with $400 per month.  I'm a couple of months older than Tim and I go on Medicare in Sept......it will be a big reduction in costs.

Marsha~

Initial looking I've done has found i could get between 3-500 / month with a 10k deductible...

i've heard about a program called Medi-share, but not looked into what its all about or if its a worthwhile replacement for traditional health insurance. anyone have experience with programs like it?

zoemorn said:
ok, gotcha!
starting my election campaign! be the first RV Congressman ever!

Howdy

Just wondering what platform you will be running on...Trailer/5th Wheel or Motor Home.  Have to know where a person stands on the important issues before you can decide to vote for them.

Marsha/CA said:
But, you can't go without it anymore.
Maybe you can't go without it but I have been without health insurance for the last 16 years. I figure I have saved about $100k in that time. I don't drink, do drugs, smoke and I don't have accidents. I live a healthy lifestyle and it pays big dividends. And I absolutely hate doctors. Been lied to me by them too many times. They killed both my parents with bad advise and too many prescription drugs and they won't kill me.

mx2446 - Ok, here ya go: My platform of choice is a DP that tows a 5er with a small TT behind that.   

seilerbird - i grew up without health ins, and though not ideal, as a child in poverty i didnt really know any better anyways, and obviously survived.  Now that I have kids of my own, and have become accustomed to health ins from my employment, it will be harder for me to just live on the wind. This is also enhanced by our watching my mother in law and father go thru cancer battles, so if nothing else I think we'd feel we need health ins for at least that type of catastrophe. Stinks that such is STILL so expensive though. but yer right, certain circumstances may warrant trying the go without, and you're right in how much you save if you're healthy.

when/if you become not-healthy with something major is the gamble. But i'm sure you took all those dividends you've saved and put them into an emergency fund thats liquid right?  ;)
Riiiight.  :)  (or maybe you have, if so, good job! most people dont)

Most employer health plans will only cover full time employees (32 Hrs/wk or more) For private insurance,
.Take a look at MSA/HSA plan. The last few years before I retired I refused to sell anything else.
It is a high deductible major medical +an IRA. You controle what you pay from the side fund. You can pay for things not usually covered by health insurance such as dental treatments. Any funds not used in the side fund(IRA)
can be drawn out at age 65.

We have health insurance. We pay a lot of money for it. But I won't take a chance not having it. My mother has never smoked or used drugs, she doesn't drink and she exercises. She had breast cancer in her 50s. My father drinks wine, smoked for a few years in his youth, never used drugs, and has always excerised. He had prostate cancer and now has pulmonary fibrosis. My sister never smoked or used drugs. She's a 10-year ovarian cancer survivor. You just don't know what fate is going to throw at you. Thank heavens they all have health insurance. We do have access to VA health care and it's actually very good now but I want a back up and I don't care if I reach 100 years old and spent a quarter of a million dollars on my separate health care. And I don't want you to have to pay for my health.

JMO
Wendy

tswms - do you have an referalls or recommendations for a particular broker or agency servicing those type of plans, thats a new concept to me that i've not heard about.

Wendy - it certainly is a gamble, and some have come out pretty good with it. all growing up i never had health insurance and hardly ever went to do the dr, my mother likewise didn't and so far we don't know of any major issues. but, like you say and imply, it only takes one major thing to really suck what savings you have dry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom