Leveling a Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the tire blocks are larger than your shims, so the shim indeed has that advantage. Let us know how it works out after you gain some experience with them in a variety of situations.

I found that all bubble levels are not created equal. The first set that I bought for our TT didn't work well at all because the little ball inside never moved. So I bought some "Hoppy" levels that have the markings on them to tell you how many inches you need to lift. They work great. I also use the Lynx Levelers--Walmart has a good price on them--and each segment is about 1" tall so I can calculate exactly how many I need to level the trailer. Nice and simple and it never fails.

Do you need to get both tires of a dual axle TT up in the air at the same level?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult.  With the Lynx Levelers, do you just build a ramp and keep going till you're level?  How does the lynx chock work with the levelers?  Pictures? 

To get an RV perfectly level you might find yourself lifting just one tire - for example, a 1" board under just one wheel will lift only about a 1/2" on that side. I have done this from time to time when the tire might be sitting in a low spot on the pad but that's about it.

vulcanbill said:
Do you need to get both tires of a dual axle TT up in the air at the same level?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult.  With the Lynx Levelers, do you just build a ramp and keep going till you're level?  How does the lynx chock work with the levelers?  Pictures?
I do. It's really easy because the pieces lock together. I just build the ramps and put it in front of each tire. The chocks lock in place, too, and then I know when to stop without rolling off the other side. You can see a  picture of my setup with the Lynx Levelers and chocks in the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/GIAIF-s0vnUie6L_XKatSw?feat=directlink

I think they have more pictures on the Lynx website.

Stargazer said:
You can see a  picture of my setup with the Lynx Levelers and chocks in the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/GIAIF-s0vnUie6L_XKatSw?feat=directlink

From your picture it is not evident how you place the ramps to start the process of driving upon them. The rear ramp appears to be too long to place between the tires. Is this a perception thing or am I missing something?

Richard

RLSharp said:
From your picture it is not evident how you place the ramps to start the process of driving upon them. The rear ramp appears to be too long to place between the tires. Is this a perception thing or am I missing something?

It's partly perception and partly help from my wife. There is enough space between the tires for me to place the levelers in front of each tire so that they are positioned correctly. I don't think each segment is more than 12" square. The levelers for the front tire are stacked to whatever height I require with the chock in place. As I drive forward, my wife just drops in new levelers in front of the second tire. If the gap wasn't big enough, I would just build one long platform and drive both tires on it.

And I don't think I really need to chock both tires on the same side, but I get my wife to do it anyway.  :)

Check out their site because I think they have better pictures on how it works: http://www.lynxlevelers.com/

Stargazer said:
And I don't think I really need to chock both tires on the same side, but I get my wife to do it anyway.  :)

Unless there is an obvious slop front or rear, I would chock the front and rear of the tires.  I use locking chocks in between the tires, so I always chock both.

I like the concept of the Lynx blocks, but I have a problem paying for plastic when I can use scrap wood for free.

56kz2slow said:
but I have a problem paying for plastic when I can use scrap wood for free.

That's fair. I like them because they are lighter than wood and they lock together preventing any slipping even when it's wet or muddy. Also they are very compact to carry around.

Hi all, hope you don't mind a fresh post here.  I realize the thread is "stale", so maybe no one will read it.  But I have just read the thread with great interest.

I'm sitting here today with a sore back and shoulders... all of which could have been alleviated by reading this thread.  Let me explain.  I purchased my 26' 2007 Gulfstream Conquest TT in February 2008, brand new.  We purchased from a dealer that was primarily a boat dealership, but had recently expanded into RVs.  They had a branch in Omaha, NE, but we had to drive 130 miles to Norfolk, NE to pick up our trailer.

After our 30 minute walk through we were off.  That was it.  No long walk through.  Here's how you start the water pump, here's the levels.  Turn on the water heater here... now, back up to this, and let's put this here, bye!  Have a nice life!  And we were off.  They shut down their RV sales less than a year later.

We camp 3 or 4 times a year, wish it was more.  But for one long week every August, we boondock up in Routt National Forest between Cheyenne and Laramie in Wyoming, at about 8500 feet, 5 miles from black top.  Every year we struggle with levelling our trailer with those 4 corner "levelling jacks".  This year, we pulled in to our spot near dark.  We got out and started trying to level, but the jacks were more obstinate than usual.  I fought those suckers for nearly an hour, wheezing in the thinner air (our home in Council Bluffs, IA is only about 1000 ft above sea level, so 8500 is a lot!)  Finally, just as I thought the trailer was about level side to side, we discovered... the hard way... that we'd forgotten to chock the tires.  The trailer shifted back 2 feet, throwing me backwards on to my back, bending the jacks, one irreparably.  That's it, I said... well, there were a few other unprintable words... I'm buying electric leveling jacks when we get home.

Of course, that didn't end the story.  The next day, we moved the trailer to a more level spot, put down the 2 good and 1 damaged but serviceable STABILIZER jack, had a fantastic week, then started to hook up for the drive home yesterday.  I'm only 55, but forgetful as he... heck.  Forgot to retract the rear stabilizer.  Started jacking up the tongue.  For us to hook up, I need to raise the tongue virtually it's full length.  I sweat, I cussed, I twisted, I wheezed.  Finally got it up, and literally passed out.  That's when I discovered the rear stabilizer.

Today, I began searching for electric leveling jacks.  That's when I discovered this thread.  It won't help me with forgetfulness issues, I know.  But it has taught me how to level a friggin' trailer!  Oh, and one more thing... our levels?  Our conversations have gone like this. "Well the side to side level is on the little 4... let's see if raising that side a couple turns will help."  No one ever told me that the 1, 2, etc, is the number of inches to raise or lower a side!  Do I ever feel dumb!

Of course, that wonderful walk through might have played a small role in my stupidity.

Eric

Old thread, but I'm glad you posted.....great story!  Don't feel too bad, we've all been there in one way or another.  Probably will be again before it's all said and done.  Hope your back feels better soon  ;)

elstrom99...

It might be best to have a instruction manual or check list handy to keep you from getting hurt or damaging your RV. (Personal suggestion)

Like for levelling my Jayco TT I do my left to right with cut 2x6 boards. Once the left to right is done I use my home built wheel chocks and lock the RV from moving then unhitch the truck. Then using the tongue jack I'll do my front to rear levelling. Then I put down all four corner stabilizer jacks to steady the RV. Really you don't have to put them down but it give the RV a solid feel. But like out here in the yard when its store at home I level it out and leave the stabilizer jack up and not use them. Still go out and hang out in it but the rig feel rocky or like there is spring in your step. No biggy.

Mopar1973Man said:
I use my home built wheel chocks and lock the RV from moving then unhitch the truck.

Got pics?  They sound like something I've wanted to build.....wheel locks on sterioids.  I don't like most of what's on the market....curious to see your take on them. 

Frizlefrak said:
Got pics?  They sound like something I've wanted to build.....wheel locks on sterioids.  I don't like most of what's on the market....curious to see your take on them.

Sure I do...

http://i44.tinypic.com/29xyo35.jpg

Work extremely well even on sloped ground. I can pinch down tight enough that the trailer will not move. It release them I carry a 3/4" wrench and a hammer. Yea... You got to smack the top wedge once to release them.

Mopar1973Man said:
Sure I do...

http://i44.tinypic.com/29xyo35.jpg

Work extremely well even on sloped ground. I can pinch down tight enough that the trailer will not move. It release them I carry a 3/4" wrench and a hammer. Yea... You got to smack the top wedge once to release them.

Those are EXACTLY what I had in mind.  Thanks.  8)

Mopar1973Man said:
elstrom99...

It might be best to have a instruction manual or check list handy to keep you from getting hurt or damaging your RV. (Personal suggestion)

Like for levelling my Jayco TT I do my left to right with cut 2x6 boards. Once the left to right is done I use my home built wheel chocks and lock the RV from moving then unhitch the truck. Then using the tongue jack I'll do my front to rear levelling. Then I put down all four corner stabilizer jacks to steady the RV. Really you don't have to put them down but it give the RV a solid feel. But like out here in the yard when its store at home I level it out and leave the stabilizer jack up and not use them. Still go out and hang out in it but the rig feel rocky or like there is spring in your step. No biggy.

Mopar1973Man... you're 100% right, a checklist would be excellent!  In fact we put together several checklists in a binder I carry with us, one for every stage of a journey (leaving our storage facility, arriving in campground, leaving campground, arriving back in storage facility, etc.)  We also track mileage of the travel trailer, maintenance on it, and a "packing list" of things to be taken.  It works great.

When I remember to open it. :)

Not hard to believe at all.  I have a check list I go by.  I see a lot of folks forget to do one thing or another.  Chalks are a biggie. 

I should take my own advise too...  :p

So far everytime I go down to Emmett, ID to stay I always forget something about the RV or truck. One time I did lock the topper glass and the vacuum of the trailer pull it open. Another time hitched up everything and left the bar on the truck bumper for the WD bars. (D'Oh!) So I'm not prefect either but never done any damage or gotten injured either... (Knockin' on wood!)

Now at home... I can break down, hitch up, move it, mow the lawn, move it back to another location, setup again, and never miss a beat... (Go figure?!)

[quote author=elstrom99]Of course, that wonderful walk through might have played a small role in my stupidity[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: we're laughing WITH you Eric..... ;)

Edit: Removed excessive quote.

Back
Top Bottom