What's an imperial van? And

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielle

Would it be a good van to convert? Im on craigslist and I found a 95 'imperial van' that's black and rusty but has under 80k miles on it and 'runs great' according to the owner.

Im not sure if rust is curable  but its at an *amazing* price so I'd be willing to try.

aw:(

Darnit. I guess that explains the amazing price tag eh? What if its only some rust? I cant really tell from the pictures they gave but they listed it as rusty ...I mailed them and asked for pictures of the rust but if you cant fix it then I guess Im better off saving my money for something better.

If it has rust then it is usually an east coast vehicle. Yes that is why it is so cheap.

alright, thanks for the advice :)

I already have a piece of junk vehicle, I'm not trying to start a collection...I think I'll wait for a better one to come around.. Maybe a newer one that's a little kinder on gas.

Btw do you (or anyone?) happen to know the approximate mpg for a 1995  full size van? Highway and otherwise?

The last one I had was a 92 GMC full sized and it got between 15 and 20 mpg. I have owned a few other vans and they were in the same range. The trick is not to get one with a big engine. A 302 has more than enough guts to power a van. Anything over that is a waste unless you are towing.

Our 2000 Chev Express Extended van with 5.7l Vortex (Chev 350) has averaged 16.0 mpg over 50k miles.  Have seen individual tanks varying from 12 mpg to 19 mpg.

Personally when I convert a van I prefer a brand new van.  I am committing to much blood and sweat for the van to have a short life.  Plus there are reliability issues.  We have had our present van for 10 years and 110k miles and I expect to keep it for another 5 years before I am tired of it.

For sale adds:

"great condition, no rust" =  maybe but what the seller sees is not always what the buyer sees
"OK condition, light rust" = work required, chk for structural rust damage
"work needed, some rust" = much work required and not always repairable
"good weekend project" =  RUN

Alright, thanks guys:)

Truth is if I got a van I probably would never convert it, I'd still want an RV ....for some reason i just LOVE big vans and want one for my day to days  ....... then if i ever *did* want to convert, I could attempt it.

Danielle said:
Alright, thanks guys:)

Truth is if I got a van I probably would never convert it, I'd still want an RV ....for some reason i just LOVE big vans and want one for my day to days  ....... then if i ever *did* want to convert, I could attempt it.
If you love big vans you should really love an RV. Think of an RV as a van on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom