Internet for Full-time working over the Net?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaCW

Hi - Newbie here. We've just purchased a new fifth wheel and are gearing up to start our life as full-timers in January. I work in the Web design industry and can work remotely from anywhere - as long as there is good internet service. Because it is my bread-and-butter, cost is not a factor as much as reliability and speed is.

Because I work online all day, I will be downloading/sending numerous emails, joining Webex meetings, using Skype, and downloading/uploading files (some as high as 20 GB) frequently (i.e. - several uploads/downloads daily).

With these considerations, what would be the best system to consider?
Thanks in advance!
Linda

I would think the only service you could possibly consider is satellite. All the air cards and phone tethers have a 5 gig limit, and Wifi is totally out of the question. Ned will be along soon and give you all the gory details.

We need internet access wherever we are. We have HughesNet, automatic rooftop mount. Works anywhere there aren't any pesky trees. I think we pay $69.99 but I'm not sure how much we get for that. As Seilerbird said, Ned should be along to give you all the details. But I'm willing to bet that it's your only option.

Wendy

As Wendy and Tom suggested, the satellite is the best primary choice. Many of those using it also have VZ and another cellular data plan in case of trees or other down situations where cellular, though slower 'cept near a city with 3/4 G, will allow you immediate short term access. 

LindaCW said:
downloading/uploading files (some as high as 20 GB) frequently (i.e. - several uploads/downloads daily).

You won't find any mobile internet service that will support 20GB file transfers.  Did you mean 20MB?

Wendy said:
We need internet access wherever we are. We have HughesNet, automatic rooftop mount. Works anywhere there aren't any pesky trees. I think we pay $69.99 but I'm not sure how much we get for that.
If satellite is used you will probably have to go with a fairly high dollar business account.  Otherwise you are limited to 250MB-350MB per 24 hr. period.  Go over that and you're down to less than dial-up speed for 24 hrs.  It's called FAP (Fair Access Policy), but pay enough and you should be able to download much more.  The only other problem is weather.  A cloudy/rainy/snowy day and you might be out of business for a while.  But, you might be able to cover that (usually short) time period with a wireless data account, if you don't have to download a large amount during that time.

We have been full timing for over eight months and I manage a large data warehouse remotely.

Using a combination of local wifi in the parks, when available and solid, AT&T MiFi, and Verizon MiFi, I have never had a significant problem managing my work. Data currently will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-$12 per GB per month. Both of the MiFi plans are 3GB's for less than $35 each, plus $10/GB overage. The limit is your ability to pay or the number of MiFi's you want to own.

While there are other plans, I choose to be redundant with the two bigger hitters, and to date, all across the Southwest and South, I have not had major issues.

I will echo Ned and ask politely what requires 20GB of data transfer, unless your are having to download huge video streams. In that case, you are going to have some issues, especially speed. Most often, that kind of data movement is not a good use of wireless bandwidth.

I have run into a number of other full time Internet professionals, especially web people, and they don't seem to have major issues, but also tend to hedge their carrier bets, as I am doing.

LindaCW said:
With these considerations, what would be the best system to consider?

I was probably the first RV Forum person to go with internet dish -- back when it was thought to be an illegal thing. I did the gauntlet over the years from sitting it on the ground with shims and a concrete block to a fully auto dish on my roof. I was also a trained certified installer of tripod ground mounted dishes.  When I finally took it off my roof I was very relieved not to have to deal with it anymore.

Fully auto dishes are still overpriced and need to be installed at an addition expense -- and that requires holes in your roof and wires strung down through the roof. For the most part, internet by satellite is a dying business other than for those that cannot get over the air internet. Ask anyone who has one if, today, they were starting with RV Internet whether they would have an auto dish installed or go with an air card??? Of coure, just as with a dish, you are restricted in the amount of data you can transfer -- unless you want to do it at in the early AM.

I am full time and run my business from my RV -- and deal with clients all over the US that use my software. My internet is via Verizon air card plugged into a cradle point router that supports my 4 station network. I keep the latest version of each clients copy of my SW on my server and update each time I make a change. I have developed and maintain my own website, do email, and typical daily internet chores. If a client calls while I am driving the freeway I just pull over and go on line -- without having to find a place that's not behind a tree or having to wait for an auto dish to find the satellite. If you have a partner with you, they can be on line while "on" the freeway.

In today's world, most restaurants and such have free Wi-Fi -- and I have learned to take full advantage of that. In my last two landings I was able to transfer updates to my software while doing my laundry -- or other file transfers while having breakfast or dinner - or, will do Remote Desktop help with a client. That is a nice way to suppliment my Verizon data limitations.

While using dish I could not do VoIP very well. Some do but it just is not the same as with an air card. Upload is dramatically slower than download w/a dish. Also, I do Remote Desktop training and help desk stuff. I have one client that still used a dish in his park that was a real chore to work with -- because of the time it took to interact. He now has cable and with my Vz card it's just like I was sitting beside him when I maintain my software. I can transfer files to his machine quickly, or pull files for testing.

My recommendation would be to start with a Verizon Air card at the 5gb level. -- then increase to 10gb if you feel you need it. Sitting on the internet all day doing email and such is not going to eat up much time, whereas if your file transfers were constant and all day that would eat into your bandwidth. Verizon still has their "test drive" feature so you could get a card for 30 days and see how it goes on a stand alone machine. Then turn it back in if it doesn't work for you.

There "will" be times when a dish would be better -- such as when you are in an area that is saturated or you find yourself completely in the boonies, but my experience is that the trade offs between dish and air card are skewed heavily in favor of the air card.

In another forum I reffered him to Bill Adams,, If anyone can help him it's Bill, and Bill posts in that forum if I'm not mistaken.

I know he does not want Hughes,, I-Direct perhaps, but not hughes and though there are some cellular providers who claim "Unlimited" It won't be for long at those data rates.

John From Detroit said:
I know he does not want Hughes,, I-Direct perhaps, but not hughes and though there are some cellular providers who claim "Unlimited" It won't be for long at those data rates.
I agree.  I had Hughes for several years and the day I was able to drop them for Verizon Wireless is one of my happier days.  But, I mentioned Hughes because it is an option which could (if he pays enough) allow his "20GB" of data.

Wow - thanks everyone who replied. I posted this request on several forums and received lots of replies - most of which has sent us looking for the Verizon aircard. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back here to thank everyone who contributed - somehow I didn't receive any notices that this posting had received replies.
Again - thanks to you all!
Lina

Hi Lina,
You are going to love working from your RV. I work while travelling about four months of each year. Even when I'm home, it's easy to set up my office at the beach or at a nearby park for the day. The small company I work for is "virtual". Except for two people in the New Jersey headquarters, the rest (10) of us are scattered all over the East and Midwest. We work together in real-time using email, IM, Skype, and various online meeting products. It's so seamless that my colleagues seldom know I'm traveling unless I remark about the squrrel that's just hopped up on my"desk" or have to mute my phone because of the noise from a passing power boat.
I average between 100 and 150 Megabytes of traffic in a work day, so a Verizon MiFi works great at a reasonable $10/Gigabyte, though I use free WiFi whenever it's convenient.
The thing I hate are operating system updates. I run Windows 7 in a VM on a MacBook Pro and use an iPhone. Windows update isn't so bad, but those OSX and IOS updates are multi-gigabyte bandwidth killers. Since so many free hot spots are traffic-throttled I usually have to hold off the major Apple updates until I return to home base.
When I need to work on a project with huge file transfers or that needs more processing power than the MBP is comfortable with, I use GoToMyPC to log into my home base machine to take advantage of its muscle, fatter pipe, and greater storage.

PopPop51,

but those OSX and IOS updates are multi-gigabyte bandwidth killers/quote]

You will be happy to know that Apple recently announced that OSX Lion and iOS5 will both be doing delta updates! This will reduce that traffic significantly.

:)

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom