Surround Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patngin

I just purchase a Winnebago Adventurer 32 V. Haven't taken delivery yet. I believe it has been in inside storage since 2006 so everything is standard. It has surround  in it and I know it works with the dash stereo but does it also work with the TV and VCR soon to be replaced by DVD. Also do I need a converter for the tv antenna for digital. It has the control box over the passenger seat with all the switches on it.

I don't know about the surround, John Canfield will know. But you will need a converter box. A better option is to remove the glass tube TV and go by a HD TV. I just put a 32 inch in my MH and it was $278.

Your "Surround" sound isn't actually true 5.1 surround - it takes a variable low-level left-right audio input and distributes that to several speakers.  If you want to replace your TV, the big trick with this system is your TV needs a variable audio output to drive the QSurround - most of the newer TVs do not have that feature, but it can be added.  If you are handy with tools and a soldering iron, here's how to modify your TV.

Yes, your QSurround will work with your factory TV and VCR and should work with the DVD.  And like Tom says, you will need a converter box.  Winnebago has instructions about installing the digital converter: Part 1 and part 2.

ruthandken CDN said:
Surround sound is really not all that great in a RV.  That's what we've found anyhow.
You should hear the surround sound system in my motorhome. I have been an audiophile most of my life and I am extremely picky about sound. It has bass that will rattle the windows, crystal clear highs and more than enough volume. And the system only cost me $248. When I watch a concert I fell like I am in the audience. Surround sound 5.1 rocks!

John, how would that fix shown in your link work for my problem? I replaced my old analog TVs with flat screens but cannot feed them thru the amps up front or thru the radio in the bedroom. I was thinking I had to buy audio converters. Our old girl is a 95 and have no idea about Qsurround, all Isee is a Sony amp and Bose speakers in the front. Thanks Will

seilerbird said:
When I watch a concert I fell like I am in the audience. Surround sound 5.1 rocks!

Ours sounds pretty darn good as well!  That was another very worthwhile upgrade!

catblaster said:
John, how would that fix shown in your link work for my problem? I replaced my old analog TVs with flat screens but cannot feed them thru the amps up front or thru the radio in the bedroom. I was thinking I had to buy audio converters. Our old girl is a 95 and have no idea about Qsurround, all Isee is a Sony amp and Bose speakers in the front.

Will - if your Sony amplifier needs a variable low level left and right audio input from the TV, then my TV mod write-up will be just the ticket for you.

Winnebago equipped some RVs with QSurround which basically just shoots the L-R audio out to a bunch of little cube speakers and a woofer.  I don't remember what model year (or what models) Winnie started providing true 5.1 surround sound via a DVD player/amp.  Features come and go depending on the corporate bean counters and the economy, so what was standard equipment in one model year might disappear in the next model year (ask Sarge  ;D.)

Thanks John, that mod seems simple enough and the resistors are cheap, I might as well try it. I needed something to do this weekend anyway. Thanks again, Will

If you look for a TV with a headphone jack, you have your variable volume output. That's how I drive my surround system in my stick house. It works with the TV volume control and all of the surround encoding is still there. I astounds me that you spend all that money on a TV and they cannot figure out how to give you something as basic as that.

The pictures are worth a thousand words........
But, as I try to remember the phrase I was taught back in the US Navy "A" School, to remember what color represents what number, I am not able to decipher which resistor (ohmic value) goes on which connection. Part may be that the photos don't due justice to the colors imprinted on the resistors. A suggestion I would like to make would be to use a photo shop program with a small arrow pointing to each resistor to indicate what value each is.

Otherwise, as usual you have done a valuable service to those of us that bought the TVs without thinking about a audio out jack(s).  Great job and great pictures.  :)

codgerbill said:
But, as I try to remember the phrase I was taught back in the US Navy "A" School, to remember what color represents what number, I am not able to decipher which resistor (ohmic value) goes on which connection. Part may be that the photos don't due justice to the colors imprinted on the resistors. A suggestion I would like to make would be to use a photo shop program with a small arrow pointing to each resistor to indicate what value each is.

I still remember the color code phrase I learned in my electronics classes but I cannot repeat it in a family-friendly forum  :D.  I'll add the resistor values to the picture and/or include a schematic diagram.  Good suggestion.

Otherwise, as usual you have done a valuable service to those of us that bought the TVs without thinking about a audio out jack(s).  Great job and great pictures.

Thank you for the kind words!

In our Itasca we have surround sound but right now it only works with the DVD, front stereo, or bedroom stereo but not with regular TV.  I read where it said to go to the remote and change the settings, tried that and it still doesn't work!  I'm thinking that I have to run the TV through the DVD to get it to work and was going to do that, does that sound like it would work that way?  Sorry...I'm computer friendly...my DH is an electrician by trade, but electronics is something else!!!  ??? ;D  Thanks, Mikie

Mikie,

You will need to have digital audio out of the TV going to the amplifier;  I think I have my TV HDMI out going to the DVD but it has been a while since I hooked all of that stuff up.

John,
That's the way it is in our "stick" house, so I'm assuming it would work the same way in the RV.  I just need to take the time to move some wires around and see what works.  I know that I do get surround sound with the DVD player and other radios, so I know it works.  I'll give it try and let you know.  Thanks as usual for your response.

Mikie

codgerbill said:
A suggestion I would like to make would be to use a photo shop program with a small arrow pointing to each resistor to indicate what value each is.

Okay Bill - I stuck the resistor values on those two pictures.  Thanks for the suggestion.

John Canfield said:
I still remember the color code phrase I learned in my electronics classes but I cannot repeat it in a family-friendly forum  :D

I'll share the much more family friendly version I use to teach the color code now, but it does lose a bit in the translation:

Bad boys ravage only young girls, but violet gives willingly

for:

black (0), brown(1), red(2), orange(3), yellow(4), green(5), blue(6), violet(7), grey(8 ), white(9).

The code is read from the first band that is part of this color code - the gold band shown in John's post is not, so it is the tolerance code and is on the opposite end from the start of the color code - in this case, gold denotes 5%.  The last color band is number of 0's. There is usually a gap between the last color code band (# of zeros) and the tolerance band, so you can use that for orientation.  Beware, there are some exceptions that would get too involved to describe here.  A gold band in between the color bands indicates a decimal point - for something like 4.7 Ohms. (yellow, gold, violet, black)

So, the 1k resistor, as shown, is (with number of zero's in parentheses) - brown, black, red = 1, 0, (2) = 1, 0, 00 or 1000 Ohms;

the 470 Ohm resistor is yellow, violet, brown = 4, 7, (1) = 4, 7, 0 = 470 Ohms

John,

I remember the phrase we used to remember the color code for the resistors  :-[, but I'm darned if I can remember the colors assigned to each letter :D.
I have saved the pictures to a folder regarding RV stuff and thanks again for such a great blog.

Oops....I just  scrolled down to see the colors.  Thanks QuadManiac

Wow I bet if you were at Quartzite in the winter you could hire some pretty good people pretty reasonably to do specific things in your coach like this kind of thing. Probably get a pretty good system set up?????

Back
Top Bottom