Misadventures going to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
As many of you know, we had to replace the cooling unit in our refer prior to leaving for Yellowstone. We now have been on the road for 12 days and have made it as far as Celina, OH.

We left TGO on 24 April to visit our kids and grandkids in VA before heading west. We got as far as St. Augustine where I stopped to check the tires, toad, etc. To my dismay, I found a tire tread starting to separate from the sidewall. We were able to drive 3 miles up the road to the Flying J and called Coachnet. They could not find anyone to bring a tire since it was Easter Sunday. Pat asked the clerk at the store if they knew of anyone and they gave her three contacts. Coachnet finally got one of them to show up but he did not have the correct tire. Took another day for them to locate one in Orlando. Then they wanted $100 to pick it up. Coachnet agreed to cover that cost.

While waiting for the tire to arrive I decided to add a little gear oil to the front bearings. When replacing the plug, the window fractured. Now some oil is pouring out of the hub! After several calls and an Internet search, we found that Ring Power carried the window. I went to one that was 17 miles north and found they didn't have one in stock but could order it. After much searching, they finally found a number. I had them order two as I knew the other one would break if I didn't.

Back to Flying J and the tire service finally showed up late in the day. By some miracle, he also had a window that I was able to install. The next morning we drove to Ring Power to pick up the expedited parts. After getting back to the coach I found the part would fit but the plug was no longer removable!! Apparently they are for a hub that has a side fill. The parts cost $28 and the shipping was over $45! Now I still have to find the right part.

While boon docking at Flying J, I discovered the battery voltage was dropping extremely fast. I turned everything off and the inverter was still drawing 53 amps! A call to Gary Brinck got me the number of Kevin Mallory in Celina, who used to work for American Coach. We all agreed the Source Manager had a problem and they no longer make parts for it. We now have a new Magnum Inverter with converter/charger along with new transfer switch. The Source Manager had everything in one box.

On our way to Celina we stopped at a campground. As I was turning onto a side road, the power steering quit. A slight acceleration brought it back. It continued to happen anytime I slowed below 5mph. The next morning the power steering worked flawlessly. I am waiting for a truck garage to get new filters so we can flush the system. Hoping that will prevent any further loss of power.

So far this trip has cost us about half of what we will make this summer at Yellowstone. If fuel prices keep climbing, we may be in the hole before we get back. :( At least we have the summer to enjoy and we are hoping many Framily will stop by to visit.

I will say if anyone is in Ohio area and needs work done on their coach, Kevin Mallory is the man. He and his employee worked for American Coach for many years. They offer full service on RV's. We couldn't ask for any better service than what they have provided. We have a place to park with power and they have gone out of their way to fix our problems and help with those they can't handle, mainly chassis work. I certainly would use their abilities again if needed. They are top notch!!! The name of their business is Cruising America RV Service Co.

This trip has not been uneventful but getting the family together for Pat's birthday was worth it. We had a great time which will be remembered forever.

Jim, you sure had a string of bad luck there. I hope things go fine from now on for you.

wow.  I would be so disillusioned by now, but I would keep on trucking as the vacation isn't over yet.  I've been in similar situations where everything decides to just fall apart when you need it most.  I go in with the attitude that you just have to charge it to the game.  :(

I worry stuff like that will happen to me.  My worst problems were the tires and I bought all new ones which solved that.

I think hubby worried too so I'm pretty sure that's why he insisted I have a tow car.  He said Sue Anne and I don't need to be stuck in the middle of nowhere if the motorhome breaks down.

But I still think we have been really lucky so far.  Knock on wood and hope it continues.

Ah, the joys of owning an RV :) Now you have to keep going to Yellowstone to make enough money to pay for the repairs !! But think of the beauty you'll see and the fun you'll have. Besides, there are a bunch of Framily headed your way.

Wendy

Looking forward to seeing you in Yellowstone, but with that black cloud hanging over your head I'm not too sure how close we want to get.  ::) ;D

Have a safe and trouble free trip the rest of the way!

Don and Mary Ann

Jim,

Sorry to hear of all the bad luck.  we are hoping that it is all behind you and you both can enjoy the summer.

Not sure we both should be in YP at the same time, could trigger the volcano!!  ;D

Let us know when you get there and assuming my back is doing well, we will drive up for the day.  Still playing with the Drs. to see exactly where the bad spots are.

Well.....and here I thought I was the only one to have one thing after another go wrong on a trip.  Sorry to hear about all your troubles but it made me realize that it's not just me.  Still sucks when it happens though.

Hopefully you got it out of your system.  I would recommend though that you not touch any of the kitchen knives for a week or two.  8)

I've always found that when something crappy happens before or at the beginning of the trip, then nothing big and bad happens during the trip. So I figure you're in great shape for a incident-free summer. At least, that's my theory.

Wendy

To All,

We are still trucking on and this has not dampened our spirits. This is just another RV adventure. ;D ;D It appears we have everything but the ABS problem resolved. I'm not worrying about the ABS since the light has been on for a couple of years. Tried four times now to have it resolved. The good thing is the brakes will work as if no ABS so we aren't in any danger.

I still can't say enough about Kevin Mallory and how he handles problems. If anyone has the chance at a rally or QZ, be sure to stop and say hi. I know you will enjoy knowing him.

We will leave tomorrow for Yellowstone. Will be taking some back roads for a while and then finally, UGH, get back on the Interstates. Hope to arrive in four or five days.

This adventure is just a reminder that we cannot plan a perfect trip. Having been full timing for 13 years, we know things will happen and we can smile and laugh about the consequences. We have been lucky that not much has happened over those years so it is now our time to pay the dues.  :)

We're looking forward to seeing several of our Framily at Yellowstone. Jim, if your back is not good for the trip, we'll come up there!!

Jim,

I'm due for another shot in a week or so so I should be good for a few weeks after that, then I suspect surgery will follow.

What route are you taking??  Curious as we have to go to IL sometime this fall and am always looking for good blue roads.  :)

Jim, smooth sailing from here on, OK?  Which route? 

Be sure to give me a date, we need to hve your site plowed out.

Jim & Bill,

At the moment, I plan on leaving Celina on Rt. 33 to Rt. 24 on the west side of Decatur, IN. After that I expect it will be Interstates. Not sure if I'll come in at Bozeman or drop down and come up from Ogden. Still have to finalize the route.

I think it'll take four to five days to get to Yellowstone. We'll try to give Cherie a call once we know our expected arrival. I'd rather nature take away the snow!!!! ;D ;D ;D

We are from Indiana, I still have a small farm up there, 25 acres, so yes small. 

If we could get a good well there we would have built a house and moved.  But lots of old coal mines and then strippers too, though they are done.  They want to do a dug well and I'm not comfortable with that with all the farm chemcials, seemed like they said 60 feet and lined.  But I don't know.

I'm also a graduate of ISU in Terre Haute and we were from Shelburn and Merom Station respectively, so our old stomping grounds. 

We are now in Decatur, IN. Stopped at the service center to see if they could take care of the ABS light. Won't be able to get to it until at least Monday. Spartan knows we have to be in Yellowstone before the 15th.

The problem is both front sensors are shorted to ground. If it's just the sensors, it will be about $100/each plus labor. If it's the "brain", the last known price was $1200!!!

We certainly are helping the economy! Sure wish others would chip in.  ;D ;D

I still have to look at it in a positive way. We have been very fortunate with this coach since we only had a couple of major problems. It is 11 years old so things are bound to start happening. If the economy hadn't taken a nose dive we might have been in better shape since we used to keep the wheels rolling in the winter.

We certainly are helping the economy! Sure wish others would chip in. 
grin.gif
grin.gif

Well, we are doing our best to help out too.  By the time we are finished with: the work done by Catepillar, the PM3 from Freightliner, 6 new tires at the tune of $650.00 each; and 4 new house batteries, we are shelling out a bunch and helping the economy.  Then there is the fuel we will be using going to Alaska.  Our coach is getting older too and has over 80,000 miles, so it's time to put some money into  her.  The trip, it could wait till next year; but things might be worse so we're going now.

Marsha~

Boy Marsha have a GREAT time.  We would really like to go again.  So much to see and so little time to see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom