Misadventures going to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha,

Thanks for your contribution. :) I did the tires four years ago, second refer 16 months ago, now all the rest. I have over 95,000 on the Dream so she needs some help. Just wish it didn't happen all at once. ;D

We did tires last year but we cheated and bought them in Oregon so we didn't pay sales tax. Right now, Mike is buying parts for the VW so we're helping the economy that way....oh, wait, they're probably all made in Germany. Is that better than made in China? We'll be spending a bit for gas this upcoming week on the Moab / Goblin Valley / Blanding trip. Nothing compared to Alaska but we do try to help out as best we can :)  And in July we'll do an Oregon trip to help out the economy between here and there. We all just need to do out bit. :)

Wendy

Just wish it didn't happen all at once.

Ahhh, Jim, Jim, Jim.  Murphy's Law is at work again!  Well, for what it's worth, since last fall we've also helped the economy a lot between the stick house and the motorhome.  Refrigerators for both, new A/Cs for house, new water heater for house, garbage disposal, tires, etc. etc. etc.  It just seemed to never stop.  Everything broke within a few months time.  Hopefully this trip will be maintenance free - except for diesel, of course.  Just think, you have lots of company and we're all commiserating with you and Pat.

ArdraF

Jim,

I feel for you. That is how it seems to happen. Wish I had know you were looking at a Magnum to replace your inverter. I have a two year old MS2000/20B sitting in a box. Don't know if it would have worked for your setup. I pulled it out to put in a MS2800 ( I purchased a factory reconditioned unit) as part of the frig conversion. BTW, the Frig itself was the cheap part of my conversion. The last project will be 450 to 600 watts of solar when the budget allows, this is going to be tougher now that I have retired.

Have a safe and uneventful rest of the trip to Yellowstone. We will see you there.

ken

Ken,

Ouch, that's what they installed!!

We left the service center in Decatur this afternoon. Got almost to Peoria, IL. Had to replace the "brain" on the ABS system. Hope that's the last test!! Trying to reach Yellowstone by Friday.

Thought for sure we'd have no satellite tonight since we're in the trees but it came in fine. Also have a great signal from Verizon. life is good!!

Jim
80 to 29 to 90? 

Ricj & Lynn arrived today.  Their fuel filterr gave it up on the grade up to Ashton, had to get roadside service to repace it, but they made it in.  Pub tonight for <Lynns birthday.

Did I mention your days off are Sun Mon this season, mine are Sat Sun.  So we get to have a day off to shoot or whatever.

See ya soon!

Bill,

Wish Lynn a Happy Birthday for us! Glad they made it. Wish I only had a fuel filter problem!!

39-80-84-15-20. Decided to take the southern route and come in through West. We're only 3.9 miles west of I39 so will backtrack a little and head north to I80.

Great we have one day together! I need to find the bears!!! ;D ;D I see they used your bear picture in our information packet.

Jim, that is a good route.  You will go right by Jolene!  If you need a night in that area, Willard Bay is open, and Antelope Island is really cool, but the bugs might be flying.  We were there early and no bugs, was a great night there. 

Yeah, they used that one.  Nothing in the calendar though.  Maybe next year.  Don't read this out loud, it is snowing agian.  We are finally able to get the folks up at Grant and West Thumb into the park. 

Really amazing this year.  A chance to see winter Yellowstone without the sub zero's.

Bill,

Changed the route slightly. Did 24 to 150 in Peoria. Then I74 to I80. We are just west of Omaha tonight. The rest of the route will remain the same.

Will be interesting to see what snow is left when we get there.

Went to Grant today to pickup the computers to load new software.  Had to leave all wheel drive van out on the oad, walk in to parking lot in 1' deep snow.  Then climb up 5' berm and follow grizzly tracks to the VC.  Took sled to carry PC's.  The snow load broke some of the porch roof off.  Broke the sprinkler system, thankfully the water was off and drained.  Not sure what it will take to get it open for season.

I think there will be some snow left.

Keep it up and we'll head back to Florida!!! ;D ;D

Talked to my riding buddy and it was in the 80's. Sure miss the bike!

Yes, we didn't ride it much last summer and I didn't want it sitting under a cover for another season. I may regret it but it's hard to carry my photo equipment and my wife at the same time. ;D ;D

Good thing I did since I now have a tire with tread separating that I wouldn't be able to carry back to the dealer to see if I can get a partial refund for pre-mature failure.

Yup, that is why I left mine back last year.  Seperating tread on the bike?  Truck?

Saw a nice griz today.

Bison babies are dropping.  Mamas aren't strong enough to nurse.  Sad.

Separating tread was on the coach. Two days to get the tire. Now the front is wearing again and I was told at a tire place it's called river wear. Will be calling Spartan tomorrow to see if that's true. I expect we'll be heading to the Spartan factory in October. They say there's no explanation for it. It looks like cupping but slightly different.

Sad to hear about the bison. Hope someone can do something for them. I know they aren't supposed to interfere with nature.

River wear is fairly common on Goodyear G670's and appears as a ripple on the outer edge, usually on front tires. It is a continuous pattern, whereas cupping will be in spots. Shoulder step and erosion are similar and have similar causes - basically just uneven wear that build up on long-wearing tires.  Good year says no problem - the tire tread will be used up long before the rivering creates a problem with the tire body.

Here are some excellent photos and descriptions for typical tire wear problems:
http://www.kaltire.com/index.php?page=tire-wear-conditions

Jim
Do you remember a backbone and pelvis from a good sized animal, maybe a small bison on the ground on the corner last year?  It has either been exposed, or replaced, or has just arrived. 

Gary,

It started out looking like cupping but now has become an elongated pattern. I'll just keep an eye on it.

PancakeBill said:
Jim
Do you remember a backbone and pelvis from a good sized animal, maybe a small bison on the ground on the corner last year?  It has either been exposed, or replaced, or has just arrived. 

Alex brought it back from somewhere. I saw him drop it and Morgan picked it up to look at it, then put it back.

Jim Dick said:
To All,
We are still trucking on and this has not dampened our spirits. This is just another RV adventure. ;D ;D ...

Adventure!  Yeah, that's it -- adventure!  ;D

We're sorry we missed you before you left, but family health issues have severely curtailed our activities the past six months.  :(

Hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom