plug in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

in a couple weeks, the family and i will be camping at a place that has only 110 power. i bought a "heavy duty" 30amp to 110 plug. would rather not use generator. what precautions should i do? how safe is this set up? can i run a couple lights and tv? any help would be wonderful. thanks

Well, sounds like your coach works on 30 amps, and the place you are going to park is 110 vac, so what is the problem?  30 amp circuits are 110 volt ac circuits.  Perhaps you meant the 110 vac where you will park is not equipped to offer 30 amps.  In that case, it likely does have a conventional duplex receptacle just like in your home.  That will be a 15 or 20 amp 110 vac circuit.  You can get a converter cord, typically called a dog bone, that you plug your 30 amp cord into, and the dog bone in turn plugs into the duplex 15/20 amp ac receptacle.  That should work fine for your coach as long as you do not use the Air Conditioner.  Also do not use the Microwave at the same time as a toaster or hair dryer.  These appliances pull lots of amps and should only be used by themselves when you are plugged into a 15/20 amp circuit. 

Hope this helps,

Rex Darley

Swampsauce,

Not sure exactly what you think may be the problem. Almost all parks that supply power have both 30Amp, 3-prong outlets to match the power cord of your t/t or motorhome, and a standard 20Amp outlet that you could plug regular appliances or extension cords into. A lesser number will have both of those PLUS a 4-prong, 50Amp outlet for those rigs wired for 50 Amp service. They are, with few exceptions, all 110/120 volts, the difference being that the 50Amp rigs use one leg of a 240 Volt feed to power half of the breaker box and the second leg to power the other half. If you're saying that they only have a 20Amp outlet (like you'd find in your home), you'd be limited to that amount of power for all your lights and appliances. In most cases, you wouldn't be able to run an air conditioner, or a coffee maker and microwave oven at the same time either.

Swampsauce:

A good indicator when usiong low amperage power sources is to buy a 110v plugin voltmeter and watch the voltage as you turn on equipment. As soon as you see the voltage dropping below 110v its time to shed some load.

Back
Top Bottom