EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2011 Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley  (Read 9717 times)

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
2011 Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi RVForum Friends,

There are a few of us  who have ventured onto  Monument Valley,  the most  beautiful spot in the world ( my  opinion) prior to  making the Moab Rally.  The attendees are Jerry and Ardra, Terry and Betty, Russ, Barb and Frank and joining us today , Ken and Sheila.  We made a couple of  new friends here in the campground, a couple from England and a solo woman from Oregon.   We are having a birthday celebration  for Terry in Kuch's coach tonight.  I'll post more about the activites when I return from partying.  Priorities you know.........

Betty   
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: 2011 Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRY - And Happy Cinco de Mayo to the rest of you. But what are you doing having fun before the rest of us ??

It's fun watching everyone approach Moab from different directions.

See y'all Sunday.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY!

Are you old yet?  Have you finally caught up with us?  Keep trying ... you'll make it!  Love you!

Margi and Tom

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Terry, and may you have many more.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
Happy Birthday, Terry!!!!!

It's not fair that we can't be there but it is what it is. Hope you have a great day. Looking forward to seeing you in Yellowstone!!!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:29 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLD MAN!

See you in Moab!

Don and Mary Ann
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:37:46 AM »
A few Pictures of the rally site and one of Terry.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »

Happy belated Terry! Hope you had a great day.

Tara n Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

fastrak100

• ---
  • Snowbirds from Yorkshire, U.K.
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
Hey, several great things!
I (we) have found out that I (we) am a member already!
Monument Valley has been made so much more special because you guys are prepared to accept others. You are great ambassadors for the RV Forum.
However like the ISS passing over the moon, we are moving in the opposite direction to Moab, moving West, rather than North. But maybe another time or place or Pre-Rally.
Cheers
Terry and Sally

U.S.A.: Chevy 3500 Express Van: 31ft Starcraft
U.K.:    Ford Galaxy:           25ft Lunar Lexon EW

The U.S.A. is our Onboard Entertainment System
http://sallyterryroadblog.blogspot.com/
http:roadblog14.blogspot.com

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Terry and Sally,

Was so much fun to meet up with you guys and to get to visit a bit.  Please stay tuned to our RVForum discussions and join us on any rally you see popping up OR create a rally of your own by just posting where you are and when it will be.  I see you outside mywindow yet this morning all hooked up and saying goodbyes.  I will say mine from the coach as it is my day off and I'm not yet dressed.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
Just curious (thinking ahead to our next visit to Monument Valley), is/are there clearly delineated area(s) where you're allowed to boondock?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
Just curious (thinking ahead to our next visit to Monument Valley), is/are there clearly delineated area(s) where you're allowed to boondock?

Tom,
Yes.  When you drive up toward the big new hotel, you pass a little kiosk.  You pay  a one time $5 per person entry and then you pay $10 per night for their "Primitive Area"  You follow  road to Big visitor center, turn through the parking lot and down a VERY bumpy dirt road  into a Very bumpy big dirt lot.  No site is marked.  It is a free for all.  Actually provides lots of entertainment as the Rental RVs drive in to find a place to park.  The views are all to die for. 
I visited the hotel yesterday and the reservations are out 4 months for a stay in there.  Rooms in summer are $199 a night and only $99 in winter.  The View Hotel as it is called .Email address is info@monumentvalleyview.com
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks Betty, much appreciated.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
Here are a few memories of our pre rally.  The sign  as you enter the Valley is new since 2008.  The friends are old.... er uh,  I mean long time!

Hope the photos give you a flavor of our Primitive camp experience.  The goats are at the Gouldings Lodge REstaurant where we have dined on Indian Frybread tacos for  2 nights. 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »
Here's a couple of pics.....

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Love the pictures. Did you have the goats for dinner? That's what the caption says !

I'm trying to get in mind where the campsites are now. I know the hotel is where the campground used to be. Are you north-east-south-or west of the old campground? I'm thinking you're down the backside, behind (to the east) of the butte where the old campground was? I guess we need to go stay there. It's not like it's a long way from home :)

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

workingtorv

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often?   I am from North East Canada and we don't have that stuff but are you not afraid to hike on trails that have these things that could potentially kill you (???) or at the very least cause you allot of pain and discomfort..

I was once in South Florida visiting friends in the middle of nowhere and they made the mistake of telling me there were rattlesnakes on their property and I was scared to step my foot outside, then they told me to listen for the sound...well I listened for the sound and I heard all kinds of sounds and practically ran from spot a to b to get anywhere, they had me scared out of my wits..not to mention that they also had alligators on site as well but or some reason I was more afraid of a rattlesnake then an alligator (at least I would see an alligator)..
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2008 Saturn AuraXR
Ontario, Canada

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:27:01 PM »
On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often?   

The most dangerous thing we saw on our hike was wild  pony poop,  so we watched the trail carefully at those points.  We saw a few pretty good size lizards.  I have no fear of the critters you mentioned if we stay on the trails.  They are more afraid of us than we are of them.  In designated hiking trials just stay on the trail and keep your eyes open.

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often?   I am from North East Canada and we don't have that stuff but are you not afraid to hike on trails that have these things that could potentially kill you ( ??? ) or at the very least cause you allot of pain and discomfort. 

We lived in Death Valley for 4 years and I saw 3 snakes. We lived at Hovenweep Nat Mon, similar area as Monument Valley, and in 4 years, I saw 1 snake. You watch where you're going, you NEVER stick your hands anywhere you can't see. And you make a lot of noise - snakes don't want to run into you any more than you want to run into them.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »
Happy Birthday Terry and thanks for the photos.  Glad you are having a grand time.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:35 PM »
Hi all,

Today Barb  found a wonderful off road trail, The John Canyon Trail.  It is  right off the road  from Mexican Hat so the plan was to leave Monument Valley at  1pm, do the ride and the  hit the Swinging Bar BA Que in Mexican Hat for dinner.  We have often passed this spot with motorhome with no place to  pull over so this was a good idea!

Three cars set out at 1 pm with FRS radios on Channel 5, CB's on 34 .  Frank and Barb led in their new Jeep with passengers Ken and Sheila,  Ardra drove their  MDX with Jerry as the passenger and radio man. Terry and I were tailgunners in our 03 Rubicon.  We were all set for this  17 mile trail rated 3 on a scale of 10 difficulty.  It was  amont  the most scenic  drives I have ever taken. I love pictographs and  well within  4 miles of the trip we observed  vivid pictographs on  the desert rocks right along the trail.  Then  within another mile I saw a few more that required hiking a few yards if you don't have much of a zoom on your camera. Mine is a basic digital and I need the exercise so  the hike to see my beloved pictographs was welcomed. 

We crossed  a slick rock water crossing that presented enough of a challenge that everyone got our of their vehicles and surveyed  route.  Frank went firt, no problem.  Ardra  navigated the rocks beautifully and Terry took the  more challenging route with no problemo.  We continued to almost  the  trials end where the terrain got so steep, rocky and difficult that Jerry and Ardra wisely   decided to park and jump into our Jeep  Rubicon.  Next part of stoy in next post.....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:06:43 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
Ardra has been doctoring for  back problems so Jerry and I  took the  back seat postions in our Jeep.  The map read only .3  of a mile to trails end so when we were getting settled into back seat I announced to Jerry that I was not going to buckle up.    He said the I won't either.  I think you can guess that this  story is going to have a moral ......

We got to trails end, decided we had enough photos and in turning around Terry became the  leader.  He hit a " tank trap" that  was not visible with the light  and while he and Ardra were securly buckled up, Jerry and I were launched into the roof of the back seat of the Jeep.  After the big  bump, Jerry complained of a a sore neck and  I had hit my head and then my shoulder on  something substancial. I saw black, then stars then  I just hurt all over and could not talk too  much about it.   

When we stopped to switch Jerry and Ardra back into their vehicle Barb provided me with  her ice packs from lunch pack .  What a savior. I had an ice pack on head and on shoulder.  I  still feel like quite a dunce for not  buckling up.  When we arrived at the Mexican Hat Restaurant I just wanted to go " home  " so we  opted out of the Bar B que dinner.  We  arrived at motorhome and I  decided it as best to stay awake in case of concussion.  Friends returned home from dinner concerned about us and while I feel like a fool for non seatbelt, I am feeing better. I will have a  knot on head and sore shoulder but  I tell my story to remind others to buckle up always.  Fractions of a second could  make a difference in our lives!   Be safe out there!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »
Did you have the goats for dinner? That's what the caption says !

LOL, Wendy.  The goats were trying to have their dinner and, no, we did not have them or any of their cousins for dinner!  ::)

As to Betty - we're just thankful that she's sounding and looking better tonight.  Her head will have quite a lump, I'm sure.  Even with the less than happy ending, we had a fun and pretty trail ride today.  Barb chose a good one!  Thanks for telling everyone about it, Betty.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

chrpennings

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERREY,

To bad we missed the party but we will catch up in Moab. Wednesday I had a doctors appointment and yesterday we had a late start to get on the road but we made the 370 miles to Dagget (Barstow). Today we had made an appointment in Beaver (390 miles) for replacement of 4 tires, after a donnation of $ 3400 + we decided to stay at the KOA in Beaver. This evening the Pressure Pro alarm went off and one of the new tires had lost air. So to morrow we are going back to fix it and continue on to Green River or Moab.
Hope to see you all there.

Chris & Mimi

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
To Betty and Jerry ---  Sorry to hear of your mishap.  Get well quickly, please!

Thanks to the Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley, MA and I have a new "next time" destination.  We've been there a half dozen times, but now we know where to "camp with a view"!

Look forward to seeing you all -- healthy! -- Sunday, er, tomorrow!

Don and Mary Ann
Cary, NC
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
We hate to pull the plug on this scenery, but we are heading for what everyone tells me is the most breathtaking scenery of all!

See everybody tomorrow!

Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Wanderlust RV Park, Eureka Springs, AR

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
I am well today.  I can't speak for everyone  however. 

It is another big Birthday day here in MonumentValley.  It is Ardra's birthday and she has chosen to  dine at the View Hotel tonight.  Gotta go......
Happy Birthday Ardra!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Happy Birthday, Ardra !!!

Margi

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Happy Birthday Ardra !!

Are you old enough yet for a NPS Senior Pass ? :)

Can you steal a menu from the restaurant so we can all see what they have? Might want to go there some day when we're passing that way.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »
Happy Birthday, Ardra!!

And I don't think you are old enough to need the large font that Wendy used!  ;) :D
Cary, NC

Hosted by Over The Network