2011 Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
Hi RVForum Friends,

There are a few of us  who have ventured onto  Monument Valley,  the most  beautiful spot in the world ( my  opinion) prior to  making the Moab Rally.  The attendees are Jerry and Ardra, Terry and Betty, Russ, Barb and Frank and joining us today , Ken and Sheila.  We made a couple of  new friends here in the campground, a couple from England and a solo woman from Oregon.  We are having a birthday celebration  for Terry in Kuch's coach tonight.  I'll post more about the activites when I return from partying.  Priorities you know.........

Betty 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRY - And Happy Cinco de Mayo to the rest of you. But what are you doing having fun before the rest of us ??

It's fun watching everyone approach Moab from different directions.

See y'all Sunday.

Wendy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY!

Are you old yet?  Have you finally caught up with us?  Keep trying ... you'll make it!  Love you!

Margi and Tom

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Terry, and may you have many more.

[size=24pt]Happy Birthday, Terry!!!!![/size]

It's not fair that we can't be there but it is what it is. Hope you have a great day. Looking forward to seeing you in Yellowstone!!!!!

A few Pictures of the rally site and one of Terry.

Attachments

• MV pic 3.jpg
    MV pic 3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 50
  • MV pic.jpg
    MV pic.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 64
  • MV pic 4.jpg
    MV pic 4.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 58
Hey, several great things!
I (we) have found out that I (we) am a member already!
Monument Valley has been made so much more special because you guys are prepared to accept others. You are great ambassadors for the RV Forum.
However like the ISS passing over the moon, we are moving in the opposite direction to Moab, moving West, rather than North. But maybe another time or place or Pre-Rally.
Cheers
Terry and Sally

Terry and Sally,

Was so much fun to meet up with you guys and to get to visit a bit.  Please stay tuned to our RVForum discussions and join us on any rally you see popping up OR create a rally of your own by just posting where you are and when it will be.  I see you outside mywindow yet this morning all hooked up and saying goodbyes.  I will say mine from the coach as it is my day off and I'm not yet dressed.

Betty

Just curious (thinking ahead to our next visit to Monument Valley), is/are there clearly delineated area(s) where you're allowed to boondock?

Tom said:
Just curious (thinking ahead to our next visit to Monument Valley), is/are there clearly delineated area(s) where you're allowed to boondock?

Tom,
Yes.  When you drive up toward the big new hotel, you pass a little kiosk.  You pay  a one time $5 per person entry and then you pay $10 per night for their "Primitive Area"  You follow  road to Big visitor center, turn through the parking lot and down a VERY bumpy dirt road  into a Very bumpy big dirt lot.  No site is marked.  It is a free for all.  Actually provides lots of entertainment as the Rental RVs drive in to find a place to park.  The views are all to die for. 
I visited the hotel yesterday and the reservations are out 4 months for a stay in there.  Rooms in summer are $199 a night and only $99 in winter.  The View Hotel as it is called .Email address is [email protected]
Betty

Here are a few memories of our pre rally.  The sign  as you enter the Valley is new since 2008.  The friends are old.... er uh,  I mean long time!

Hope the photos give you a flavor of our Primitive camp experience.  The goats are at the Gouldings Lodge REstaurant where we have dined on Indian Frybread tacos for  2 nights. 

Attachments

• Monument Valley Sign [800x600].jpg
    Monument Valley Sign [800x600].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Terry and Betty on His Birthday [800x600].jpg
    Terry and Betty on His Birthday [800x600].jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Goats at Gouldings for dinner [800x600].jpg
    Goats at Gouldings for dinner [800x600].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Social Hour [800x600].jpg
    Social Hour [800x600].jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 42
  • View from Rigs [800x600].jpg
    View from Rigs [800x600].jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Our rigs from hike view [800x600].jpg
    Our rigs from hike view [800x600].jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Hotel view from hike [800x600].jpg
    Hotel view from hike [800x600].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Jerry and Ardra on Wildcat Hike [800x600].jpg
    Jerry and Ardra on Wildcat Hike [800x600].jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 42
Here's a couple of pics.....

Attachments

• Magna.JPG
    Magna.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 43
  • Wildcat trail.JPG
    Wildcat trail.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 47
  • View Hotel.JPG
    View Hotel.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 44
Love the pictures. Did you have the goats for dinner? That's what the caption says !

I'm trying to get in mind where the campsites are now. I know the hotel is where the campground used to be. Are you north-east-south-or west of the old campground? I'm thinking you're down the backside, behind (to the east) of the butte where the old campground was? I guess we need to go stay there. It's not like it's a long way from home :)

Wendy

On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often?  I am from North East Canada and we don't have that stuff but are you not afraid to hike on trails that have these things that could potentially kill you (???) or at the very least cause you allot of pain and discomfort..

I was once in South Florida visiting friends in the middle of nowhere and they made the mistake of telling me there were rattlesnakes on their property and I was scared to step my foot outside, then they told me to listen for the sound...well I listened for the sound and I heard all kinds of sounds and practically ran from spot a to b to get anywhere, they had me scared out of my wits..not to mention that they also had alligators on site as well but or some reason I was more afraid of a rattlesnake then an alligator (at least I would see an alligator)..

workingtorv said:
On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often? 

The most dangerous thing we saw on our hike was wild  pony poop,  so we watched the trail carefully at those points.  We saw a few pretty good size lizards.  I have no fear of the critters you mentioned if we stay on the trails.  They are more afraid of us than we are of them.  In designated hiking trials just stay on the trail and keep your eyes open.

workingtorv said:
On the sign it states to watch for venomous reptiles and insects....I am from the North East so I am curious how do you watch for these reptiles and insects and do you actually see them often?  I am from North East Canada and we don't have that stuff but are you not afraid to hike on trails that have these things that could potentially kill you ( ??? ) or at the very least cause you allot of pain and discomfort. 

We lived in Death Valley for 4 years and I saw 3 snakes. We lived at Hovenweep Nat Mon, similar area as Monument Valley, and in 4 years, I saw 1 snake. You watch where you're going, you NEVER stick your hands anywhere you can't see. And you make a lot of noise - snakes don't want to run into you any more than you want to run into them.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom