2011 Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all,

Today Barb  found a wonderful off road trail, The John Canyon Trail.  It is  right off the road  from Mexican Hat so the plan was to leave Monument Valley at  1pm, do the ride and the  hit the Swinging Bar BA Que in Mexican Hat for dinner.  We have often passed this spot with motorhome with no place to  pull over so this was a good idea!

Three cars set out at 1 pm with FRS radios on Channel 5, CB's on 34 .  Frank and Barb led in their new Jeep with passengers Ken and Sheila,  Ardra drove their  MDX with Jerry as the passenger and radio man. Terry and I were tailgunners in our 03 Rubicon.  We were all set for this  17 mile trail rated 3 on a scale of 10 difficulty.  It was  amont  the most scenic  drives I have ever taken. I love pictographs and  well within  4 miles of the trip we observed  vivid pictographs on  the desert rocks right along the trail.  Then  within another mile I saw a few more that required hiking a few yards if you don't have much of a zoom on your camera. Mine is a basic digital and I need the exercise so  the hike to see my beloved pictographs was welcomed. 

We crossed  a slick rock water crossing that presented enough of a challenge that everyone got our of their vehicles and surveyed  route.  Frank went firt, no problem.  Ardra  navigated the rocks beautifully and Terry took the  more challenging route with no problemo.  We continued to almost  the  trials end where the terrain got so steep, rocky and difficult that Jerry and Ardra wisely  decided to park and jump into our Jeep  Rubicon.  Next part of stoy in next post.....

Ardra has been doctoring for  back problems so Jerry and I  took the  back seat postions in our Jeep.  The map read only .3  of a mile to trails end so when we were getting settled into back seat I announced to Jerry that I was not going to buckle up.    He said the I won't either.  I think you can guess that this  story is going to have a moral ......

We got to trails end, decided we had enough photos and in turning around Terry became the  leader.  He hit a " tank trap" that  was not visible with the light  and while he and Ardra were securly buckled up, Jerry and I were launched into the roof of the back seat of the Jeep.  After the big  bump, Jerry complained of a a sore neck and  I had hit my head and then my shoulder on  something substancial. I saw black, then stars then  I just hurt all over and could not talk too  much about it. 

When we stopped to switch Jerry and Ardra back into their vehicle Barb provided me with  her ice packs from lunch pack .  What a savior. I had an ice pack on head and on shoulder.  I  still feel like quite a dunce for not  buckling up.  When we arrived at the Mexican Hat Restaurant I just wanted to go " home  " so we  opted out of the Bar B que dinner.  We  arrived at motorhome and I  decided it as best to stay awake in case of concussion.  Friends returned home from dinner concerned about us and while I feel like a fool for non seatbelt, I am feeing better. I will have a  knot on head and sore shoulder but  I tell my story to remind others to buckle up always.  Fractions of a second could  make a difference in our lives!  Be safe out there!

Did you have the goats for dinner? That's what the caption says !

LOL, Wendy.  The goats were trying to have their dinner and, no, we did not have them or any of their cousins for dinner!  ::)

As to Betty - we're just thankful that she's sounding and looking better tonight.  Her head will have quite a lump, I'm sure.  Even with the less than happy ending, we had a fun and pretty trail ride today.  Barb chose a good one!  Thanks for telling everyone about it, Betty.

ArdraF

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERREY,

To bad we missed the party but we will catch up in Moab. Wednesday I had a doctors appointment and yesterday we had a late start to get on the road but we made the 370 miles to Dagget (Barstow). Today we had made an appointment in Beaver (390 miles) for replacement of 4 tires, after a donnation of $ 3400 + we decided to stay at the KOA in Beaver. This evening the Pressure Pro alarm went off and one of the new tires had lost air. So to morrow we are going back to fix it and continue on to Green River or Moab.
Hope to see you all there.

Chris & Mimi

To Betty and Jerry ---  Sorry to hear of your mishap.  Get well quickly, please!

Thanks to the Moab Pre Rally in Monument Valley, MA and I have a new "next time" destination.  We've been there a half dozen times, but now we know where to "camp with a view"!

Look forward to seeing you all -- healthy! -- Sunday, er, tomorrow!

Don and Mary Ann

We hate to pull the plug on this scenery, but we are heading for what everyone tells me is the most breathtaking scenery of all!

See everybody tomorrow!

Attachments

• DSC_0040 wolf creek pool forum.jpg
    DSC_0040 wolf creek pool forum.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0075 mountain skies forum.jpg
    DSC_0075 mountain skies forum.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 32
I am well today.  I can't speak for everyone  however. 

It is another big Birthday day here in MonumentValley.  It is Ardra's birthday and she has chosen to  dine at the View Hotel tonight.  Gotta go......
Happy Birthday Ardra!

Betty

Happy Birthday Ardra !!

Are you old enough yet for a NPS Senior Pass ? :)

Can you steal a menu from the restaurant so we can all see what they have? Might want to go there some day when we're passing that way.

Wendy

Happy Birthday, Ardra!!

And I don't think you are old enough to need the large font that Wendy used!  ;) :D

Thank you, one and all.  I had a GREAT day!  First we and the Weimerts drove the 17-mile Monument Valley trail.  It's pretty rough in places, but there were quite a few regular cars on it.  We stopped at all the viewpoints and just enjoyed the fantastic scenery.  We were glad we went early because there must have been at least two dozen tour trucks coming in as we left.  After that we left the tribal park and continued north to Goosenecks State Park.  If you've never been there, it's a prime example of what geologists call a meandering river.  From the air it would be shaped like a Christmas ribbon candy.  There's quite a large boondocking area there.  In fact, the visitor sign-in sheet asked if you camped there.  I suppose they might be trying to evaluate whether they need to improve the camping area.

The new View Hotel at Monument Valley is lovely.  The Navajo Nation had a good architect who managed to lessen the impact on the scenery.  It blends beautifully into the bluff above the valley and isn't very noticeable from below.  Every room has a balcony and view of Monument Valley.  The inside is also nice and the dining room has huge windows looking out over the valley.  I had bison and it was good.  Jerry and Phil had salmon that was a large portion and good.  We also had an appetizer fruit plate that was very nice with strawberries, canteloupe, honeydew, grapes, and a yummy bowl of lime, lemon, and orange sherbert.  Jerry like the sherbert so much he had more for dessert!  The others will have to speak for themselves, but the server was quite pleasant and put up with us, even though Jerry and Frank managed within the first two minutes to soak the table when they spilled from the water pitcher.  It's hard to maintain decorum with this group!  ::) :p :eek: ;D  The dining room opens at 5:00.  We were there when they opened and it had filled perhaps two-thirds by the time we finished dinner.  The menu is fairly extensive with beef, chicken, fish, lamb, bison, etc.  All three specials included shellfish tonight.

Anyway, I had a very nice day.  Tonight there's a good sized caravan of rental RVs lined up on either side of our five coaches.  Luckily they all maintained our line so no one pulled up in front to block everyone else's view of The Mittens.

ArdraF

Here is a panorama photo of Gooseneck that twists and turns as  Ardra mentioned above.

JerryF

Attachments

• Gooseneck-3 (Small).jpg
    Gooseneck-3 (Small).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
Hi Folks,
We have now made it to California, and the streets really are paved with gold. We fly back to Engalnd on Tuesday. We really enjoyed our time meeting all you guys and it's nice to know some of the people who talk on RV Forum.
Hope you enjoyed your Moab Rally and we hope to join you again sometime, so keep us updated through your RV Forum pages.
Cheers
Terry and Sally
Blog: WWW.roadblog11.blogspot.com

Terry & Sally,

Since your blog says you're in Banning, I assume you're flying out of SFO (?) You almost need to pass us to get to the airport. Send me an email or PM if you think we could hook up for a cup of coffee.

Terry and Sally,

Safe  travels and happy returns.  We sure hope you never again encounter those "view blocker type of people."  Was a pleasure to meet up with you and  indeed we hope to see you again at another rally. 

Tom.... I think  Banning is closer to LAX so  I think they fly out of LA.

Betty

Thanks Betty. I wasn't thinking LAX when I posted that. Maybe on their next trip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom