Wanting to buy a tent trailer, but am so conflicted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMaple

We are brand new with limited  knowledge. 

We live in NB Canada and most models here don't come with AC, we are fine with that.  The tent trailer will be brand new, a 2011.  The layouts are similar, we liked having two seating areas.  We have a 2010 Grand Caravan to tow it with.

The first one we are considering is this one:  http://www.dougsrecreation.com/2008%20Flagstaff%20208%20TT.html
It has a ceiling fan that the other one doesn't have.  We like how it looks inside.  Two tables, one is a U-shaped area.  Outside BBQ, double and queen beds, heated mattresses.

The second one is this one for $400 more:  http://www.rvguide.com/specs/starcraft/expandable-trailer/2011/starcraft/1019.html
It has a water heater, outside shower, outside speakers, and bike rack.

Which would you choose?  Both may be Canadian brands, and I believe they are both well-known and well-liked.

Any comments or words of advice would be appreciated.

This is really a matter of preferences.  I believe they are both good units.

If it were me I think I'd go with the Starcraft which has a bit higher GVWR but more cargo carrying  capacity (805 lbs) as opposed to the Flagstaff (562 lbs),  also the hot water heater would be a big selling point for my wife!

Our first unit (many years ago) was a small Starcraft and it served us well for a long time.  It was not nearly as well equipped as the one you are looking at, but met our needs at the time (a big leap up from tent camping!)

Regardless, hope you find the right fit for your family and have fun!

Regards,

John

Thank you!  I am thinking that we would probably like the hot water feature, but wasn't sure if we would really use it.    Does the difference in weight make a huge different in gas mileage?

You are only talking a difference in Gross weight of 230 pounds, so chances are, you wouldn't see any difference in mileage. Weight is really only going to start really affecting mileage (within reason) trying to pull uphill, or if along with the extra weight you also have extra wind resistance. An extra 230 pounds is just like taking me with you, but I'm trying to get my gross weight down as well...;D ;D. I think you would really appreciate having hot water...I know we do.

Oh good!

Now, someone I know told me today that my 2010 Grand Caravan may not be able to tow a tent trailer.  Is there any truth to that?  I'm getting worried that I am biting off more than I can chew.

Equipped with a class II hitch, your GC should handle it just fine. Do not depend on a bumper mounted ball. Talk to the dealer.

So it's not hard on the transmission, etc?    Would I need anything for that?    I know I need a hitch and an electric brake package.  :)

I think, if you check, the Grand is limited to 2000 GVWR lbs towing. I seem to remember that is what I read in the owners manual, the 1/2" thick one you can order free from Dodge, not the booklet you get with the car.

Both these trailers have GVWR over that limit (2550, 2319).....

(Also own a 2010 Grand)

We really thought about getting a tent trailer or hard sided A-Frame, but my Rav-4 couldn't pull any of them fully loaded.  We were talking to a guy who was espousing the virtues of his tent trailer at a campground this past weekend.  Swore that he knew a guy with a 4 cylinder RAV and he pulled a full tent trailer just fine.  Well the salesman told me the same thing, but numbers dont lie.  The curb weight of my RAV is 3300 pounds and the towing capacity is 1500.  It doesn't take much math to figure out that an A-Liner with a Dry weight of 1800 and GVW of 3500 pounds is going to throw my poor RAV all over the road.

Think about the math and keep the decision safely out of the hands of salesmen and espousing campers!

Jeff Brown

I don't think the ability to tow something beyond the weight limit is much of a problem. The problem is if you were to be in a wreck, the attorneys and probably police would see that you were towing something beyond the weight limit and you could be liable. You would think the Grand Caravans would have better tow limits but it seems like they are making the minivans to be more like cars now. You also have to take in account, the weight of any fuel or luggage that you put in the camper. It's the same with a boat, 20 gallons of fuel in a boat adds a lot more weight.

Back
Top Bottom