Diesel price inversion again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The oil companies need to be regulated. They're greed is ruining our country.

Do you suppose the price of diesel has anything to do with the heating season being mostly over and supply starting to build up? You do remember that the diesel prices go up each fall when people start to fill their heating oil tanks for the season, and gas prices traditionally go up at the start of summer vacation season. Even though odd things are happening at odd times lately, the underlying traditions may still be doing some of the driving.

I get 38 mpg around town in my 2002 Jetta TDI. Don't take it much on the highway but last time I checked I got around 45 mpg at 80 mph. The new 2012 Beetle will have a diesel option.

Do you suppose the price of diesel has anything to do with the heating season being mostly over and supply starting to build up?

I'm sure that is involved. It was just a better feeling refueling for not more than the cost of regular, even if it was $3.90/gallon.

Prices have completely flipped in Louisville, KY.  As we speak, unleaded is $4.15 per gallon and diesel is $3.98.  Gas jumped 40 cents 3 days ago and diesel nary budged a cent.

rambler28 said:
The oil companies need to be regulated. They're greed is ruining our country.
Regulated?  By who?  The government?  Last time I looked they already tax the industry, pretty heavily... Who's going to pay for the industry R&D and exploration,  the government?  How's that been working lately, last I read they can't drill anywhere.  I hate paying $4+ like everyone else, however don't think big daddy is the answer.

Hate to say this, but the best thing that can happen in the long run is for the price of fuel to continue to climb. $5.00/gal would be a good thing - $6.00/gal might be too high and result in another recession. It might hurt us individually right now, but if we don't get away from using Oil energy before it starts to run low, it will be VERY painful. Best to start now, and the higher oil prices, the more incentive there is for other forms of energy to be researched and brought online.

Frank

BTW: 1 gallon of gasoline contains 1.25 therms, or 125,000 BTUs;
          1 gallon of diesel contains 1.3 therms, or 130,000 BTUs.
          but,
        1 gallon of ethanol contains 0.81 therms or 81,000 BTUs.  So, since what you are buying is "energy"; if you get some diesel you get the most energy per gallon; if you buy ethanol on an energy basis, it oughta cost about  62% the cost of diesel and if you buy "pure" gasoline on an energy basis it oughta cost about 96% as much as diesel; and... your mpg oughta be similar but diesel is much higher because the engines operate differently.

FWIW.

FrankNSharon said:
Hate to say this, but the best thing that can happen in the long run is for the price of fuel to continue to climb. $5.00/gal would be a good thing - $6.00/gal might be too high and result in another recession. It might hurt us individually right now, but if we don't get away from using Oil energy before it starts to run low, it will be VERY painful. Best to start now, and the higher oil prices, the more incentive there is for other forms of energy to be researched and brought online.

Frank

So I guess you probably buy your fuel at the most expensive station you can find?

Don't believe all the hype!!  There is no shortage of oil in the world.  Oil sands are a huge source of new supply and we are constantly learning new ways to extract this resource.  The price of oil and the derivative product gasoline and diesel are another thing entirely.  There are alot of reasons that gas prices are where they are currently, but running out of oil is not one of them. 

topdownman said:
Prices have completely flipped in Louisville, KY.  As we speak, unleaded is $4.15 per gallon and diesel is $3.98.  Gas jumped 40 cents 3 days ago and diesel nary budged a cent.
Same thing here, it is a mystery to me. I thought the price difference was due to tax structure but it  does not explain this.

In Moab the price of regular gas is $3.899 and diesel was $4.24.  No inversion here!  And supreme also is below diesel.

ArdraF

For just a couple of days the price of Regular jumped way over diesel, but then it went back down.  In the last week or so, it's been running neck and neck.  Regular at $3.77 and diesel at $3.79.

Here in Tulsa, OK I saw a station today that had both diesel and regular at $3..699 per gallon.  Prices here vary 30 to 40 cents depending on where you are and how close to an interstate you are.

And I paid $4.209 today for diesel near Rochester, IN. Pilot between there and South Bend was $4.319. I should have filled in Elkhart where it was about $4.15. :'( Regular was about $4 all over.

I paid $4.11 in Florida (always expensive on diesel due to fuel tax) on Wednesday, and here near Savannah, GA, on Friday it is $3.83. And I don't need any fuel yet...

We typically buy in Alabama when going back and forth to NW Florida.  Paid $ 3.65 for regular both ways last week.  Part of the low price is the low gas tax in Alabama.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom