Rand-McNally has GPS designed for Rvs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Mapmaker Rand-McNally has announced a new GPS Nav system designed for the RV market. I have no first hand experience with it, so this is just a news report.

The Tripmaker RVND 5510 features points of interest specifically for Rvs, including dump stations, propane stations, and RV services such as campgrounds and dealers. Read more about it here:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/05/rand-mcnally-launches-first-gps-for-rvers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RvBusiness+%28RV+Business%29

This looks interesting. I've been considering the Garmin dezl 560, which has an RV mode, but this appears to be less expensive and seems to offer additional features (will be out in June, the site says), but if it comes with a windshield mount (suction cup??), it's useless to me, and if it requires the stylus shown in the picture, then use will be awkward while on the road.
Listed figures are intriguing, though.

Thanks, Gary.

I didn't see much unique about it except for RV-oriented POIs, and those can be added to most major brands of GPS. I've added POIs for all that stuff to my Garmin and TomTom units.

Well, it IS cheaper than the dezl 560, and you can have an altitude readout, apparently not available in the newer Garmins (near as I can tell). Of course the dezl 560LMT comes with lifetime traffic and map updates (don't know if the traffic is worth it, especially since it is ad-supported). And, of course, I know what's good in the typical Garmin. After the 5510 actually is released then I'll be interested to compare the two. I'm still not sure I need anything beyond the Streetpilot 2730 I'm running now, but...

Magellan is suppose to have a similar program for truckers that seems like it would make more sense. It has height and weight limits which I think would be more important. Of course after driving to TX and back to IL the magellan lost points with me on several stops. It couldn't find the sam's club in San Marcos it took us into a subdivision we ended up at the wally and called sam's for directions. Now the good was the local help look up when we needed a tire it did get us a number to tire shop. This was our first long trip with it we wanted a unit with large screen its 7 inches. The screen works great easy to read. with a tap it brought up all the ETA data so the kids could read for themselves how much longer. Over all it a decent unit.

Larry N. said:
, and you can have an altitude readout, apparently not available in the newer Garmins (near as I can tell). 

Just press & hold the signal bars for a couple Of seconds & the altitude box will pop up.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Just press & hold the signal bars for a couple Of seconds & the altitude box will pop up.

You can also press and hold the car icon on the map for a couple of seconds and your current location will appear along with the altitude.

Larry N. said:
Well, it IS cheaper than the dezl 560, and you can have an altitude readout, apparently not available in the newer Garmins (near as I can tell).
Good to know about the press and hold for altitude and location, but I find them available on the 1450/1490LMTs on the Dashboard. I like to watch the altitude change as I travel (gives a reason for consuming copious amounts of gasoline :D .)

Terry A. Brewer said:

Thanks, Terry. I don't have the beast yet, and my existing GPS is a 2730, which allows you to put an altitude data field on the main display, but assuming I get one of the newer Garmins that's very good to know.

Larry

>>my existing GPS is a 2730, which allows you to put an altitude data field on the main display,<<

The Nuvi 5" screens allow you to do the same thing.... 4 data fields on the right side that are user changeable.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Larry

>>my existing GPS is a 2730, which allows you to put an altitude data field on the main display,<<

The Nuvi 5" screens allow you to do the same thing.... 4 data fields on the right side that are user changeable.

So that's a new Nuvi "feature?" Thanks, Terry. When I can't find any mention in the manual (boy they're skimpy) about altitude or data fields, I presume they're not available. Good to hear they've added that -- hope the dezl 560 will do that (it's not in the manual).

Thanks,
Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom