$6/gal gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marc L said:
Those of you coming to Canada, fill up in the US before crossing the border.  Fill it all the way up to the cap. 
I'd never stopped there before but I did this last trip.  At the Sumas/Abbotsford border crossing the second last building before the border is a gas station with four lanes three cars deep, all pointing north.  And on a Thursday late afternoon all 12 spots were taken up.    Trouble is I don't know how the price compared to places 5 or 10 miles away.  I'll look next time I go that way if that ever happens again.  (I might not be going to back to the Microsoft convention again.)

The next building, and stop for me, was the duty free alcohol.    $15 USD for a 40 ounce of 151 proof rum.  Same price as for the 70 proof rum.

There are many reasons for fuel cost rise. One big factor in raising fuel price in US is the weakening dollar. We must pay more in dollars to buy same amount every time the dollar drops which has been the case for sometime. Its a direct of our deteriorating financial condition. 

What's interesting too is that when the price goes up, our dollar goes up because we are a producing country and because yours went down.  But our pump price goes up because they claim it's based on what gas and diesel is traded at NYSE. Because of NAFTA, we can't sell locally cheaper than we export it.

Our gas dropped 23 cents yesterday morning- we're now at $3.52 less 5% BP card for a new rate of $3.34.

geodrake said:
What is the BP card?

It is the Chase/VISA card branded BP which gives 5% on BP gas purchases and 1% on most of everything else.

JayT said:
I am assuming that the "BP" stands for British Petroleum......... They can keep the 5%, I'll go elsewhere.

A large part of what is now BP was AMOCO headquarted in Chicago and founded by John D. Rockerfeller. Shell Oil is a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell headquartered in the Netherlands and registered in Britain. Citgo gets most of it's oil from Venezuela and Chavez may have some ownership involvement. All that said, by boycotting one oil company for another you don't gain anything since the oil you buy is replaced by the oil of the boycotted company.

I used to work for an oil company I was a pipeline exchange accountant for awhile.

Needless to say we didn't empty the pipelines to run somebody elses oil through, its all mixed together.

At terminals the only real difference is the additives.  Some companies have branded terminals but a lot just have all kinds of trucks from different campanies haul out of it.  They have tanks of their own additives they add to their tankers to make it theirs. If you get some unbranded station they likely have fuel with no addtives, as the additive stuff is very expensive.  If you think you get bad gas on occasion it can happen.  We would have stations that close or for other reasons have "pumpouts", yes they pumped the fuel out of the tank and it would be sold to another station. 

I remember some very small terminals where the driver would measure out in a bucket how much additive a tanker should have and dump it in. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
Diesel can be made from bio-fuels,but there are problems with using it in bulk. Most bio-diesel is added to petro-diesel, eg a 5% or 10% blend

I found a 20% blend when going to Yellowstone last year, and my Cummins loved it. YMMV

JayT said:
I get peace of mind and a feeling I'm doing the right thing.

Jay T

That's fine but the only person your hurting is the local distributor/dealer. Major oil companies have shed their retail assets years ago and oil itself is fungible.

Back
Top Bottom