EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Guitars and RVs ?  (Read 25506 times)

BadjerJim

• ---
Guitars and RVs ?
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
Hello!
The wife and I got our first 5th-wheel RV last October, and we're really loving it. We've learned that an older "bargain" RV may not be such a bargain after all - we've put more money into this rig than we ever intended.

There's a lot of good info in this forum.  Thank you!

At any rate, we'd like to take a guitar along on our trips.  Are there any special considerations? It should be an acoustic guitar that does not need an amp.

The recent MotorHome magazine had an article about a guitar called a Voyage-Air, and it folds in half for compact carry.

Anybody have one of these Voyage-Air guitars, or any experience with a guitar that's kept in the RV?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Guitars and RVs ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
We have a few guitarists here, and hopefully they'll jump into the discussion.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
We have a few guitarists here, and hopefully they'll jump into the discussion.

SuperCool !  Thanks!

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »
Hi BadjerJim and welcome to the Forum,

I carry seven guitars on board (1 electric bass, 3 electric, 2 acoustics, and a steel resonator), not to mention a few pedals, a 7-guitar stand, and a Marshall amplifier and 412 cabinet.  The hard part is making room for the instruments, but since I'm not married I usually have too much of a problem in that regard.

The major problem is controlling extremes of heat and humidty so as not to damage the instruments but with a little care you should be able to work that out.

It looks like the Voyage Air won't have too much of a problem with heat and humidity since it folds.  However, I've never played that particular guitar and am skeptical of a "folding" guitar and would never purchase one. 

You seem intent on saving space, have you thought about the Martin Backpacker?  http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=Steel%20String%20Backpacker%20Guitar
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:16:20 PM by Luca1369 »
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

seilerbird

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
I carry three guitars and an amplifier. One acoustic, one semi hollow and one electric. My motorhome didn't have an inverter so I installed a 400 watt ($40) to run the amp and my TV. Heat and humidity can be a problem. So what I do is to only carry cheap guitars. None of mine cost over $400 so if I ruin one I can replace it cheaply. But in my 9 years on the road I have rarely had to even retune my guitars.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
Keep it in the case, if humidity or lack therof is a problem, there are ways to control it.  If you have a tall closet, stanf it against a dise, use a bungee and some clips to hold it in place.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
BadjerJim,

Here's a link to a short primer on heat and humidty and their effects on a guitar.

http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/humidity.html
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:10 AM »
When on the road, we tend to keep the coach somewhat comfortable for us, even when we are off sightseeing, or whatever. So far my 12 string hasn't needed more than minor retuning, and often none at all. I do keep it in its hard case, when not in use. I'm usually more concerned with keeping it from banging around than with the "climate."
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

topdownman

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »
I've had no problems carrying guitars around over the years, there's usually one with me at all times ;D.  I generally take my Martin DM with me and just leave it in the hard case when I'm not using it.  The guitar has never seemed to mind the humidity, they were made to play and not necessarily in a climate controlled environment.  I've taken several electrics with me (Fender's, Epi's) and sometimes carry a small Fender Bronco amp to jam on.  They really don't take up much space.
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
Well, I decided to pull the trigger. Bought a Voyage-Air folding guitar. I'm not a pro guitar player, but the wife and I are breaking out the 5th wheel (now that it's mostly stopped raining). I'd rate myself 'advanced amateur' - I've been playing all my life, and play at church every Sunday.

At any rate, I bought the Voyage-Air entry-level model for $399 including back-pack case. Model VAOM-02. First was the case: it's a really well made backpack with zippered pockets for stuff. Along with the guitar, there's enough room in there for a picnic lunch and drinks and other stuff.

The backpack case is perfect. I mean, seriously, who wants to take a big guitar case, and haul it down to a campfire a few hundred yards away? Previous trips, when driving, I took a guitar and stood the case in the shower of the 5th wheel. Not a good idea, let me tell you. I should have put it on top of the Queen bunk at the front. But that was piled high with other 'camping essentials.'

The sound of this guitar is amazing. A folding guitar is something that just shouldn't work - but this one does. When you fold it open, it's the same size as a regular guitar, and you would never know it from a regular guitar by looking at it. The hinge locks secure, it's not wobbly at all. It's easy to play. And it's light too - about 9 lbs for the guitar and the case.

The sound does not compare to my Martin guitar - noway. But at the same time, I'd never take my Martin out camping. And the Martin is a way more than a $<500 guitar. I actually find myself playing this new Voyage-Air a lot.

A few days after I got it, the company put on a sale price for their appearance on the Shark Tank tv show. That figures. But I called the company and they credited me back $50 on my credit card to match the sale price. That's pretty cool.

Overall, this guitar is perfect for an RV. When folded and in its backpack case, it fits nearly anywhere. We keep it under the sofa in our 5th wheel - that way, it's easy to get to from the inside or outside. And it's just there, ready to play.

Many thanks to this forum. I've learned a lot. And jeez, have we spent the bucks getting the 5th wheel ready for the upcoming camping season.

I'm just passing stuff along. Never thought there would be an easy way to take a guitar out camping, that actually played and sounded decent. One with a backpack case so you can just tote it around to the lakeshore or whatever without a big and heavy case. Now there is. Thanks to all who replied with ideas. I like this guitar!

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
I carry a Takamine and have never had a problem.  Gibson has a life time warranty........

The Martin Back Pack is a good choice in that it takes up little storage space.  Problem is: 1) they sound funny and 2) the feel funny.
George Drake

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
The Martin Back Pack is a good choice in that it takes up little storage space.  Problem is: 1) they sound funny and 2) the feel funny.

What, and a folding guitar doesn't seem funny?  What's next, a folding upright bass?  A folding tuba?  A folding baby grand?   ::)

I have to admit, a folding guitar does help with the storage problem.  I wonder though, do the strings mar the surface finish of the body when the neck is folded?  I suppose tuning will be a major issue whenever it is unfolded.  How tight is the joint where the fold/hinge is located and is it secure enough that string tension won't change the position of the neck when unfolded?  I would like to see one of these and feel how they play someday.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Luca1369 - let's get together sometime. It stores and plays great.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
Luca1369 - let's get together sometime. It stores and plays great.

What happens to the strings when you fold it and store it in its bag?
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »
What happens to the strings when you fold it and store it in its bag?

They coil up in the sound hole.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Do they chafe the finish of the guitar around the sound hole when they go in and out?
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

R1Kirby

• ---
  • Home Sweet Home
    • Bob & Elsie's Adventure
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
I am a retired keyboard player. I carry my keyboard with me all the time. I also carry a mandolin with me. I found several dehumidifying bags and I place one in each case. I have never had a problem with moisture. Check with computer stores they usually have them packed in computer boxes and usually throw them out. Something else, there are many parks that have musician staying with them. It's always fun to get a Jam Session together......
Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246

topdownman

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Regarding those little bags they put in computer boxes, remember.  Do not eat!  I don't know if anyone ever did that, but there must be some reason they put DO NOT EAT on the little bag.  "Hey Bob, watch me eat this bag of stuff....."

I am a retired keyboard player. I carry my keyboard with me all the time. I also carry a mandolin with me. I found several dehumidifying bags and I place one in each case. I have never had a problem with moisture. Check with computer stores they usually have them packed in computer boxes and usually throw them out. Something else, there are many parks that have musician staying with them. It's always fun to get a Jam Session together......
2006 Jeep Commander

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Okay, this is getting funny.  Sheesh, how did we go from Guitars to 'don't eat dehumidifying bags?'

You guys crack me up.   :)

R1Kirby

• ---
  • Home Sweet Home
    • Bob & Elsie's Adventure
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
Regarding those little bags they put in computer boxes, remember.  Do not eat!  I don't know if anyone ever did that, but there must be some reason they put DO NOT EAT on the little bag.  "Hey Bob, watch me eat this bag of stuff....."

YUCK....No don't eat the bag......
Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 03:57:43 AM »
I have not ever carried any of my guitars yet but I have a full length bay that I have plans to build a pull out for my Moffet electric Baby Grand If I ever get to go full time. I hardly play the guitar anymore but still have 2 hand made guitars in the bedroom. I gave 13 guitars to me grand-kids about a year ago. Of the 13. 7 were hand made.  The 2 I still have , one is a true Hollow body Strat and the other is not completed yet but it is a PRS

seilerbird

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »
The backpack case is perfect. I mean, seriously, who wants to take a big guitar case, and haul it down to a campfire a few hundred yards away?
I do!

topdownman

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a hollow-body Strat.  A Stratocoustic?

I have not ever carried any of my guitars yet but I have a full length bay that I have plans to build a pull out for my Moffet electric Baby Grand If I ever get to go full time. I hardly play the guitar anymore but still have 2 hand made guitars in the bedroom. I gave 13 guitars to me grand-kids about a year ago. Of the 13. 7 were hand made.  The 2 I still have , one is a true Hollow body Strat and the other is not completed yet but it is a PRS
2006 Jeep Commander

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »

I agree.  Pictures please!

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
Wroth makes a hollow body but they run a rougther about 10 times and leave about the wood I built this one and hollow about 90 percent of the body out and cut the F hole in it. The guy that wanted one wanted the warm, mellow 70's sound. I made this one out of popular with a maple neck just to see if it could be done. The one I made for him was made with Birdseye maple.
(http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4715/1305373990288.jpg)
This is the PRS I have started It's made with a Black Walnut tree that was cut off the side of the road
(http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4499/1305373989537.jpg)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
(http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2024/1305373989132.jpg)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Guess I need to read up on posting pictures. Also on the PRS you will see a ooophs next to one of the holes. I have to repair that and still have to make the fret board

topdownman

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
A bit of miscommunication maybe?  You said "one is a true Hollow body Strat", but that is not a Fender Strat, that's a copy.  Hollow body strat copy would have told me a lot ;)
2006 Jeep Commander

seilerbird

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
Yes Fender made hollow body strats for a while in the 70s. They are rare because it kills the strat sound so they went over like a lead balloon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Pawn-Shop-72-HH-Semi-Hollow-Stratocaster-BODY-/190537082148?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5ce52524#ht_912wt_905

topdownman

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm fairly involved in the vintage guitar market and don't ever remember a hollow-body Strat.  The one you are referring too is a brand new model from the Pawn Shop Series.  They are not copies of anything, just Fender's interpretation of what "might have been" if somebody modded out a Strat.  From Fender's website:

The new Pawn Shop Series guitars draw inspiration from the eccentric and sometimes wildly innovative Fender creations of the mid-'60s and mid-70s era that sometimes found their way to the outside world and into the more esoteric pages of Fender history.

In fact, one of their new models is an exact copy of a Squier guitar (Squier 51) that became wildly popular with modders because they were so well built and dirt cheap.  I have two of those.  I paid $140 for one and got the other for a penny.  Now, they're selling it in the Pawn Shop series and asking $800.
2006 Jeep Commander

seilerbird

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
I read a book on the history of Fender a few months ago and distinctly remember the hollow body strat. I don't remember the details but you are probably correct that it never made it into production. It probably sounded nothing like a strat.

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
Yes Fender made hollow body strats for a while in the 70s. They are rare because it kills the strat sound so they went over like a lead balloon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Pawn-Shop-72-HH-Semi-Hollow-Stratocaster-BODY-/190537082148?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5ce52524#ht_912wt_905

That is ONE WEIRD STRAT!  Body shape like a strat, hollow F-hole chamber, but the pickup and control routings are pure Telecaster.  What an odd thing.

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
What I said Topdownman was I have a hand made true hollow body  Strat. Witch I have. It is hand made. If it was from Fender it would not be a hand made Strat. I say True Hollow body because the body's you can buy are not true hollow body's. They have had some of the wood remover to make them lighter. This one and the other Strat I made have 90% of the wood removed. You can play these without plugging them into a amp. They are not as loud as a flat top. The sound is a real warm sound kind of like the mood music of the 70's. They are made from Finder Strat plans that came from Finder. including the neck.

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
I buy cheap full sized guitars and fiddles and figure that heat and the road will inevitably take their toll at some point.

The guitars (I often travel with other musicians) tend to end up in the shower at night to save space, and are on the beds at other times.

In response to the question upthread, yes, there are folding upright basses.  I know of at least one gigging band that uses one.  They require an amp.

2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

fastrak100

• ---
  • Snowbirds from Yorkshire, U.K.
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 02:20:07 AM »
Thanks for the very interesting info on Guitars and RV's.
Being an alien (as the border people say), we have to leave our trailer to the elements in the summer and winter (for some reason we prefer the Spring and Fall for our travel in the States). When we say that we leave our instruments in the trailer we get sharp intakes of breath, like a plumber about to give a quote, and advice that the glue used on guitars will break down above 120 degrees.
However we have had no problems so far. We place each instrument in its case, in a vacuum bag (no vacuum, just most of the air removed). Each time I have the internal debate about detuning, and have come to the conclusion that it sits at home for months without any problem, so the first couple of times I backed them off, but now I have left them fully tuned. So far we have had no problems (summer humidity in Orlando and arctic cold in Dallas).
The idea of the folding guitar gives the same feeling as scraping nails on a blackboard, but the you tube video seems to show it working.
As for portable instruments I rather like the idea of an inflatable double bass.
U.S.A.: Chevy 3500 Express Van: 31ft Starcraft
U.K.:    Ford Galaxy:           25ft Lunar Lexon EW

The U.S.A. is our Onboard Entertainment System
http://sallyterryroadblog.blogspot.com/
http:roadblog14.blogspot.com

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
So far we have had no problems (summer humidity in Orlando and arctic cold in Dallas).

I remember once, when I was in my early twenties, I pawned a six-string acoustic for a month or so during the dead of winter.  When I went back to get it and opened the case, it was broken, its seams split in many places.  The pawnbroker admitted to not leaving any heat on at night in his shop (Atlanta). 

On the other hand, I recall playing in a band in Guatemala, in a marina on the edge of a river with jungle all around.  It was summer, hurricane season, and the Rio Dulce was a great spot for boaters to hangout and pass the time while waiting for hurricane season to end.  Anyway, I was playing in a band in the marina's restaurant in the high jungle humidty.  I've never had so many problems with tuning, constantly, after every song and sometimes during a song.                       
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
Inflatable bass!  Love it.  Oh, and Arctic cold of Dallas!  Good stuff. 

Summer of 2009 left fiddle, guitar and mando in the house in FL with mostly 95 deg temps, then when the thermostat failed in the AC on mode, another month at ??? degrees?  They were all fine upon return.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
Well Luca 1369, we have moved on since Guatemala, we have steel strings now rather than cat gut, and if you played in the marina, as stated, then I am sure that the dampness would have got to your guitar whatever the strings.
So I can buy my Martin now then and it will be safe, I will tell my wife the good news. Just as I was going to buy some of those tire pressure gizmos, that I have been reading about on another thread.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »
Well Luca 1369, we have moved on since Guatemala, we have steel strings now rather than cat gut, and if you played in the marina, as stated, then I am sure that the dampness would have got to your guitar whatever the strings.

We played in the marina's restaurant, an open air venue, no walls, just a railing.  The restaurant sat sat out over the water (in fact my avatar is a photo where I'm sitting along the railing during a gig).  My guitar had steel strings and the humidity would have affected a guitar regardless of the string composition (as long as the guitar was made of wood).  I met someone down there who had one of those new carbon-fiber acoustic guitars and humidity did not seem to affect it in the least, even the fretboard was a carbon-fiber laminate! 
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
Well that looks and sounds like a dream location.
Good on you.

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
You could get something like Gene simons Bass it's made of aluminum

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
You could get something like Gene simons Bass it's made of aluminum

I don't know...there's something about an electric guitar made of metal (even though you still get shocked through the stings/bridge).
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 04:15:30 AM »
Every electric guitar is set up to kill you. The way they are wired, you are the ground. The first one I ever made I thought I had a bad wiring Diagram. I talked to the owner of the local music store and he said it was bad but it was the only way they would play. I have tried many times to find another way of doing it, but it just will not work any other way

mike eddleman

• ---
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 04:18:12 AM »
May be that's why Gene was always sticking his tongue out he was getting shocked

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »
Well I have learned something.
I had a good laugh at the concept of electrocution by guitar.
However have researched a little and it seems it is possible.
Found this article on Guitar Nuts:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php
Don't know when it is dated from though.
Many thanks, I will stick to the acoustic.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
I had a good laugh at the concept of electrocution by guitar.

I don't recall ever hearing of a musician dying from electrocution but shock stories abound.  I've been shocked many times and learned the best way to avoid it is not come in contact with a microphone (since I don't sing this is easy). 

When the Grateful Dead played at Woodstock their crew warned the show's stagehands that there was a grounding problem.  Their warnings went ignored and Bob Weir suffered a burn on his lip when a blue flash knocked him backwards at one point.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 08:35:29 AM »
At the risk of going a tiny bit off topic (forgiveness required) and bearing in mind that we all have to go sometime.
Here is a list of the way that rRocka and Rollers have died:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll
Of which you will only find two attributed to playing, and one of those was in their recording studio, not necessarily playing a guitar.
Which probably goes to show that it is safer to go on vacation with your guitar than to either drive or fly!

seilerbird

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
Every electric guitar is set up to kill you. The way they are wired, you are the ground. The first one I ever made I thought I had a bad wiring Diagram. I talked to the owner of the local music store and he said it was bad but it was the only way they would play. I have tried many times to find another way of doing it, but it just will not work any other way

Not if you use a wireless transmitter. 3 volts generally won't kill you.

seilerbird

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »
I don't recall ever hearing of a musician dying from electrocution but shock stories abound. 

Ever hear of John Rostill of the Shadows? He died of electrocution by guitar. So did Keith Relf of the Yardbirds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
Still off topic:
Seilerbird see my reply above re. John Rostill (who was he anyway? Hank Marvin, Bruce Welsh, Brian Bennett, Jet Harris, Tony Mehan yes, but John Rostill? I know he played with them, but not iconic to me).
So who else of the milllions of Giterists have been killed. Still think it is safer than RVing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:48:18 AM by fastrak100 »

seilerbird

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
Still off topic:
Seilerbird see my reply above re. John Rostill (who was he anyway? Hank Marvin, Bruce Welsh, Brian Bennett, Jet Harris, Tony Mehan yes, but John Rostill? I know he played with them, but not iconic to me).
So who else of the milllions of Giterists have been killed. Still think it is safer than RVing.
He played with the Shadows. You would have to be English. Cliff Richard and the Shadows were the biggest thing in English music until some group from Liverpool upstaged them.

I have been playing guitar most of my life and RVing most of my life. Neither one has ever hurt me.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
What about the drummers in Spinal Tap?
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

fastrak100

• ---
    • Roadblog Fall 2011
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
What about the drummers in Spinal Tap?
I didn't know that they RV'ed! Did any of them die from RVing? I thought that they were mostly serial self combusters.
Certainly as drummers they were very unlikely to be electrocuted by a guitar.
Mind you when you look in the buses that groups have, the thought of being on the road for days on end for a tour .......................
This is getting very silly, I am off to bed (yes it's now 11.30 p.m. over here). But it has made a fun day.

hoddinron

• ---
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
I've carried along my Taylor "Baby" on three two month trips without any problems.  Sounds very good for a 3/4 sized guitar.  I leave my other two Taylors at home.

Ron
Ron & Joyce - Retired
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 2.73 axle
2016 Sabre 25 RL 5th Wheel

Angiodan

• ---
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
Hi Guys and gals,
I always bring my mando (collings MF5) and guitar (either my martin or taylor depending on my mood) whenever I travel . I bought them to play and if you are just a little bit carefull you can enjoy them where ever you are. Have great day and...
Keep on pickin !
Dan

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »
I carry at least a guitar and banjo regularly, and sometimes a square neck resonator guitar. The travel guitars  and banjos are ok for practicing, but generally not for playing with others. The challenge i to find the space in the camper for them. In my old camper, I stored them in the over-cab bunk. Now I store them in the space between the rear bed and the back wall of my trailer. When not moving, sometimes I lay a folded towel in the base of the shower and stand them in the shower. The most important thing is to avoid high heat.
Keith

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
A reply on this thread made me realize:
I've had the Voyage-Air folding guitar for almost a year.  It has never given me a bit of trouble and I play it a lot more than I thought I would. Just going to hang out with friends or for church strum-alongs, I can throw it in the car and it doesn't take up the whole trunk!  And it never fails to start conversations wherever I take it and unfold it and then play it!

At $399 it does NOT compare to my Martin D-28, but the Martin is 7x the cost!

I think the Voyage-Air is a great guitar and a unique idea. It plays and sounds great and I take it places I wouldn't take my other guitars.

Their website is here: www.voyageairguitar.com

I'm one happy guitar-camper!

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
I just saw the Voyage-Air guitars for sale at a festival last weekend.  The problem was that the dealer didn't have one set up to play, so no one would consider buying one without hearing it.  Stupid dealer; at a festival full of RV's, and he didn't use his head.
Keith

BadjerJim

• ---
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
I just saw the Voyage-Air guitars for sale at a festival last weekend.  The problem was that the dealer didn't have one set up to play, so no one would consider buying one without hearing it.  Stupid dealer; at a festival full of RV's, and he didn't use his head.

You're kidding!  What festival was this, and where?  Those guitars are hard to find in stock anywhere these days!

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival.  I believe Picker's Supply from Fredericksburg, VA, was the vendor, but don't hold me to that.
Keith

xomkid

• ---
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »

i never leave home without it. 1-acoustic/electric 1-tele.
you can run into some problems though. even with other musicians. bluegrassers wont play if you plug into an amp. rockers dont like country, country dont like rockers.
one place we were playing under the awning at 7pm and about 40 people were sitting in their lawn chaires listening and someone a couple rv's down said they were watching a movie and we were disturbing them. security came down telling us we had to shut it down. we didn't object, but the 40 people listening came close to running the security out of the park.
this being said, find the right place to play and obey the rules.
2004 Cardinal  33TS
2006 Chevy Silverado quad cab Dooley Duramax

BilC

• ---
  • Another Day In Paradise!
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:14 PM »
I've played and learned more guitar living in my RV than ever before! Well worth the space it takes up. Several jam sessions had here, albeit slightly crowded.

I leave it in here while at work and it gets well below freezing with the heat off. I do notice it needs tuning with temp changes, I just hope it doesn't end up delammed like the fellow above... I didn't even consider what summer heat and humidity will do to it, but those dehumidifier bags are an excellent idea I plan on using! Luckily I just have a cheap used acoustic, no worries for now  :)

Morgan7600

• ---
    • 12GaugeMusic.com
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
I've been playing guitar now for 53 years and have played Ovation acoustics for most of that time.  I had a little D-28 Martin in the 70's but the neck began to warp.
The Ovation guitars are best known for their hard shell composite synthetic bowls so this to me makes them a very tough and very projecting guitar!
Ovation guitars are manufactured by the Kaman Corporation, a company known for building innovative Kaman Helicopters.  If you love acoustics, you'll love their Adamas
model with the composite top.  All guitars have wood tops so this gives the instrument an unbelievable depth and throaty sound I love.  Not cheap though...
"Keep in touch with yourself & I'll call you if you need me!"
                                                                           Morgan

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
Ovation Acoustics are the best sounding acoustics I have ever heard.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »
I have trouble playing an Ovation without a strap when sitting, it's slick, curved body keeps slipping off my lap.
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
Friend of mine has an Ovation, horrible sound.  Then again he needs lessons.  Guitars are like cameras, all in the hands of the user.  I really like the looks of Ovations.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

BigTex

• ---
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
I carry my Gretsch 6120, a Martin D-28, and a Fender Chorus amp in my motorhome.  We usually look for places with "pickers" that get together.  Fun Valley, in South Fork, Colo. is a great place to go.  I've been playing professionally for over forty years...
Good Camping!!!!!
Pat & 'Belle
2013 Entegra Aspire

leviweaver

• ---
    • Levi Weaver Dot Com
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:53 AM »
Not much experience to add here, other than to say I'm glad this thread exists. I'll be bringing my Breedlove acoustic and Fender mandolin with me, starting in February.

Full disclosure, playing music is my job. But it's still good to know that guitars and RVs are not allergic to one another. The storing-the guitar-in-the-shower idea seems like a stroke of genius, assuming I can keep it from banging around while I drive. Any tips on that?
2008 Winnebago View 24J

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2013, 06:32:46 AM »
The storing-the guitar-in-the-shower idea seems like a stroke of genius, assuming I can keep it from banging around while I drive. Any tips on that?
Bungee cords.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
In my motorhome the rear closet is almost as wide as the rv.  In the case, against the wall, one bungee, anchored on one side, hooked on other side, nice and secure, and you don't have to move it to take a shower, or dry the shower to re-store it. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

leviweaver

• ---
    • Levi Weaver Dot Com
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
You guys are geniuses.

It's such a small thing, comparatively, when I'm reading things about Generators, Power switches, and factory recalls (all things I have no natural predilection for, but am cramming into my brain because I know I'll need to know them) to wonder "Where's the best place for the guitar to ride?" but small or not, it's important, and I appreciate you guys. Thanks.
2008 Winnebago View 24J

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
My 12 string, in its case, rests on the bedroom floor sometimes (laying flat, of course) and sometimes on the bed itself, wedged in by other things stored there. Even sudden stops haven't caused a problem so far.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

GuitarPicker

• ---
  • Have an RV Day!!!
    • RVsongs
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
Hello!
The wife and I got our first 5th-wheel RV last October, and we're really loving it. We've learned that an older "bargain" RV may not be such a bargain after all - we've put more money into this rig than we ever intended.

There's a lot of good info in this forum.  Thank you!

At any rate, we'd like to take a guitar along on our trips.  Are there any special considerations? It should be an acoustic guitar that does not need an amp.

The recent MotorHome magazine had an article about a guitar called a Voyage-Air, and it folds in half for compact carry.

Anybody have one of these Voyage-Air guitars, or any experience with a guitar that's kept in the RV?

Carry as much as you have room for!!! Be considerate of others when playing thru amps or PAs........ and have a blast.... keep the acoustic guitars upstairs....I ruined a Breedlove in the basement in south Alabama once,,,,,,, Have a blast!!!!!....Cliff
I am soon to be "On The Road Again" Just can't wait to get in my RV again...The life I love is going to Rallys with my friends....I just can't wait to get on the road again!!!......... rvsongs.com..... I am an Ambassador for Camping World/Good Sam.

GuitarPicker

• ---
  • Have an RV Day!!!
    • RVsongs
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
YUCK....No don't eat the bag......
No No....especially if they are old bags!!!
I am soon to be "On The Road Again" Just can't wait to get in my RV again...The life I love is going to Rallys with my friends....I just can't wait to get on the road again!!!......... rvsongs.com..... I am an Ambassador for Camping World/Good Sam.

Desertfront

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »
I carry one of my Takamines. I have several. They are acoustic/electric. Usually my nylon crossover.

xomkid

• ---
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »

Fender makes a simi hollow body
2004 Cardinal  33TS
2006 Chevy Silverado quad cab Dooley Duramax

Hosted by Over The Network