Guitars and RVs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BadjerJim

Hello!
The wife and I got our first 5th-wheel RV last October, and we're really loving it. We've learned that an older "bargain" RV may not be such a bargain after all - we've put more money into this rig than we ever intended.

There's a lot of good info in this forum.  Thank you!

At any rate, we'd like to take a guitar along on our trips.  Are there any special considerations? It should be an acoustic guitar that does not need an amp.

The recent MotorHome magazine had an article about a guitar called a Voyage-Air, and it folds in half for compact carry.

Anybody have one of these Voyage-Air guitars, or any experience with a guitar that's kept in the RV?

We have a few guitarists here, and hopefully they'll jump into the discussion.

Hi BadjerJim and welcome to the Forum,

I carry seven guitars on board (1 electric bass, 3 electric, 2 acoustics, and a steel resonator), not to mention a few pedals, a 7-guitar stand, and a Marshall amplifier and 412 cabinet.  The hard part is making room for the instruments, but since I'm not married I usually have too much of a problem in that regard.

The major problem is controlling extremes of heat and humidty so as not to damage the instruments but with a little care you should be able to work that out.

It looks like the Voyage Air won't have too much of a problem with heat and humidity since it folds.  However, I've never played that particular guitar and am skeptical of a "folding" guitar and would never purchase one. 

You seem intent on saving space, have you thought about the Martin Backpacker?  http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=Steel%20String%20Backpacker%20Guitar

I carry three guitars and an amplifier. One acoustic, one semi hollow and one electric. My motorhome didn't have an inverter so I installed a 400 watt ($40) to run the amp and my TV. Heat and humidity can be a problem. So what I do is to only carry cheap guitars. None of mine cost over $400 so if I ruin one I can replace it cheaply. But in my 9 years on the road I have rarely had to even retune my guitars.

Keep it in the case, if humidity or lack therof is a problem, there are ways to control it.  If you have a tall closet, stanf it against a dise, use a bungee and some clips to hold it in place.

When on the road, we tend to keep the coach somewhat comfortable for us, even when we are off sightseeing, or whatever. So far my 12 string hasn't needed more than minor retuning, and often none at all. I do keep it in its hard case, when not in use. I'm usually more concerned with keeping it from banging around than with the "climate."

I've had no problems carrying guitars around over the years, there's usually one with me at all times ;D.  I generally take my Martin DM with me and just leave it in the hard case when I'm not using it.  The guitar has never seemed to mind the humidity, they were made to play and not necessarily in a climate controlled environment.  I've taken several electrics with me (Fender's, Epi's) and sometimes carry a small Fender Bronco amp to jam on.  They really don't take up much space.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger. Bought a Voyage-Air folding guitar. I'm not a pro guitar player, but the wife and I are breaking out the 5th wheel (now that it's mostly stopped raining). I'd rate myself 'advanced amateur' - I've been playing all my life, and play at church every Sunday.

At any rate, I bought the Voyage-Air entry-level model for $399 including back-pack case. Model VAOM-02. First was the case: it's a really well made backpack with zippered pockets for stuff. Along with the guitar, there's enough room in there for a picnic lunch and drinks and other stuff.

The backpack case is perfect. I mean, seriously, who wants to take a big guitar case, and haul it down to a campfire a few hundred yards away? Previous trips, when driving, I took a guitar and stood the case in the shower of the 5th wheel. Not a good idea, let me tell you. I should have put it on top of the Queen bunk at the front. But that was piled high with other 'camping essentials.'

The sound of this guitar is amazing. A folding guitar is something that just shouldn't work - but this one does. When you fold it open, it's the same size as a regular guitar, and you would never know it from a regular guitar by looking at it. The hinge locks secure, it's not wobbly at all. It's easy to play. And it's light too - about 9 lbs for the guitar and the case.

The sound does not compare to my Martin guitar - noway. But at the same time, I'd never take my Martin out camping. And the Martin is a way more than a $<500 guitar. I actually find myself playing this new Voyage-Air a lot.

A few days after I got it, the company put on a sale price for their appearance on the Shark Tank tv show. That figures. But I called the company and they credited me back $50 on my credit card to match the sale price. That's pretty cool.

Overall, this guitar is perfect for an RV. When folded and in its backpack case, it fits nearly anywhere. We keep it under the sofa in our 5th wheel - that way, it's easy to get to from the inside or outside. And it's just there, ready to play.

Many thanks to this forum. I've learned a lot. And jeez, have we spent the bucks getting the 5th wheel ready for the upcoming camping season.

I'm just passing stuff along. Never thought there would be an easy way to take a guitar out camping, that actually played and sounded decent. One with a backpack case so you can just tote it around to the lakeshore or whatever without a big and heavy case. Now there is. Thanks to all who replied with ideas. I like this guitar!

I carry a Takamine and have never had a problem.  Gibson has a life time warranty........

The Martin Back Pack is a good choice in that it takes up little storage space.  Problem is: 1) they sound funny and 2) the feel funny.

geodrake said:
The Martin Back Pack is a good choice in that it takes up little storage space.  Problem is: 1) they sound funny and 2) the feel funny.

What, and a folding guitar doesn't seem funny?  What's next, a folding upright bass?  A folding tuba?  A folding baby grand?  ::)

I have to admit, a folding guitar does help with the storage problem.  I wonder though, do the strings mar the surface finish of the body when the neck is folded?  I suppose tuning will be a major issue whenever it is unfolded.  How tight is the joint where the fold/hinge is located and is it secure enough that string tension won't change the position of the neck when unfolded?  I would like to see one of these and feel how they play someday.

BadjerJim said:
Luca1369 - let's get together sometime. It stores and plays great.

What happens to the strings when you fold it and store it in its bag?

Do they chafe the finish of the guitar around the sound hole when they go in and out?

I am a retired keyboard player. I carry my keyboard with me all the time. I also carry a mandolin with me. I found several dehumidifying bags and I place one in each case. I have never had a problem with moisture. Check with computer stores they usually have them packed in computer boxes and usually throw them out. Something else, there are many parks that have musician staying with them. It's always fun to get a Jam Session together......

Regarding those little bags they put in computer boxes, remember.  Do not eat!  I don't know if anyone ever did that, but there must be some reason they put DO NOT EAT on the little bag.  "Hey Bob, watch me eat this bag of stuff....."

R1Kirby said:
I am a retired keyboard player. I carry my keyboard with me all the time. I also carry a mandolin with me. I found several dehumidifying bags and I place one in each case. I have never had a problem with moisture. Check with computer stores they usually have them packed in computer boxes and usually throw them out. Something else, there are many parks that have musician staying with them. It's always fun to get a Jam Session together......

Okay, this is getting funny.  Sheesh, how did we go from Guitars to 'don't eat dehumidifying bags?'

You guys crack me up.  :)

topdownman said:
Regarding those little bags they put in computer boxes, remember.  Do not eat!  I don't know if anyone ever did that, but there must be some reason they put DO NOT EAT on the little bag.  "Hey Bob, watch me eat this bag of stuff....."

YUCK....No don't eat the bag......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom