Guitars and RVs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've played and learned more guitar living in my RV than ever before! Well worth the space it takes up. Several jam sessions had here, albeit slightly crowded.

I leave it in here while at work and it gets well below freezing with the heat off. I do notice it needs tuning with temp changes, I just hope it doesn't end up delammed like the fellow above... I didn't even consider what summer heat and humidity will do to it, but those dehumidifier bags are an excellent idea I plan on using! Luckily I just have a cheap used acoustic, no worries for now  :)

I've been playing guitar now for 53 years and have played Ovation acoustics for most of that time.  I had a little D-28 Martin in the 70's but the neck began to warp.
The Ovation guitars are best known for their hard shell composite synthetic bowls so this to me makes them a very tough and very projecting guitar!
Ovation guitars are manufactured by the Kaman Corporation, a company known for building innovative Kaman Helicopters.  If you love acoustics, you'll love their Adamas
model with the composite top.  All guitars have wood tops so this gives the instrument an unbelievable depth and throaty sound I love.  Not cheap though...

I have trouble playing an Ovation without a strap when sitting, it's slick, curved body keeps slipping off my lap.

Friend of mine has an Ovation, horrible sound.  Then again he needs lessons.  Guitars are like cameras, all in the hands of the user.  I really like the looks of Ovations.

I carry my Gretsch 6120, a Martin D-28, and a Fender Chorus amp in my motorhome.  We usually look for places with "pickers" that get together.  Fun Valley, in South Fork, Colo. is a great place to go.  I've been playing professionally for over forty years...

Not much experience to add here, other than to say I'm glad this thread exists. I'll be bringing my Breedlove acoustic and Fender mandolin with me, starting in February.

Full disclosure, playing music is my job. But it's still good to know that guitars and RVs are not allergic to one another. The storing-the guitar-in-the-shower idea seems like a stroke of genius, assuming I can keep it from banging around while I drive. Any tips on that?

In my motorhome the rear closet is almost as wide as the rv.  In the case, against the wall, one bungee, anchored on one side, hooked on other side, nice and secure, and you don't have to move it to take a shower, or dry the shower to re-store it. 

You guys are geniuses.

It's such a small thing, comparatively, when I'm reading things about Generators, Power switches, and factory recalls (all things I have no natural predilection for, but am cramming into my brain because I know I'll need to know them) to wonder "Where's the best place for the guitar to ride?" but small or not, it's important, and I appreciate you guys. Thanks.

My 12 string, in its case, rests on the bedroom floor sometimes (laying flat, of course) and sometimes on the bed itself, wedged in by other things stored there. Even sudden stops haven't caused a problem so far.

BadjerJim said:
Hello!
The wife and I got our first 5th-wheel RV last October, and we're really loving it. We've learned that an older "bargain" RV may not be such a bargain after all - we've put more money into this rig than we ever intended.

There's a lot of good info in this forum.  Thank you!

At any rate, we'd like to take a guitar along on our trips.  Are there any special considerations? It should be an acoustic guitar that does not need an amp.

The recent MotorHome magazine had an article about a guitar called a Voyage-Air, and it folds in half for compact carry.

Anybody have one of these Voyage-Air guitars, or any experience with a guitar that's kept in the RV?

Carry as much as you have room for!!! Be considerate of others when playing thru amps or PAs........ and have a blast.... keep the acoustic guitars upstairs....I ruined a Breedlove in the basement in south Alabama once,,,,,,, Have a blast!!!!!....Cliff

I carry one of my Takamines. I have several. They are acoustic/electric. Usually my nylon crossover.

Back
Top Bottom