EZ PASS Info???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

I'm looking into a Ez Pass to go cross country, I live in CT if I get a Pass for this area will it work for me anywhere in the U.S.?  And can you use a Pass with a 5th wheel trailer?  If the big rigs are able to use Ez Pass, I'm assuming you can do this, but not sure?  Thanks for your help on this.

EZ Pass works wherever EZ Pass is in use, but that is not every toll road in the USA. Florida, for example, does not use the EZ Pass system. It's mostly a northeast thing, plus Ohio, Illinois & Virginia. Map here:
http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml

You won't encounter any toll roads to speak of west of Illinois anyway, and you can pretty much avoid them west of NY.

I don't know how they handle trailers but obviously they do (trucks  use it).  Probably just count axles. The EZ Pass web site can probably tell you.

When we were looking into EZPass for our cancelled trip I found that each transponder was configured to a specific vehicle or combination.  You would have one for the truck and a separate one for the truck and 5er.  You have to have the one you are not using in a special shielded container to prevent both from being billed while traveling. 

The last time we were in the NE, we avoided all tolls except a few bridges and I believe one short segment on I-94 north of Chicago.  It can be done but may take a little longer.

E-ZPass tag requirements vary with the state and agency issuing them. In NY for instance, tags issued by the NY/NJ Port Authority have a $1 per month account fee, but those issued by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority have no monthly fee. The NY Thruway Authority also has a special E-ZPass plan for RV's that discounts tolls for 5'vrs, and only charges motorhomes the standard passenger vehicle per axle tolls. You must use specially assigned tags for the RV plan though. Neither NY issuing authority charges a deposit for the tags if you have an automatic replenishment account.

You won't encounter any toll roads to speak of west of Illinois anyway, and you can pretty much avoid them west of NY.

There is the KS Tollroad around Kansas City, a number of toll roads between Tulsa and Oklahoma City, I think Denver may have one or two and there are a couple in the LA area.

BernieD said:
There is the KS Tollroad around Kansas City, a number of toll roads between Tulsa and Oklahoma City, I think Denver may have one or two and there are a couple in the LA area.

The toll road (E-470) in the Denver area now uses video of the license plate -- you get a bill in the mail somewhat later.

I was very pleased when they came out with the towing tags. It's very easy to switch back and forth. In NY, the regular tag is an off-white color and the towing tag is blue.  As mentioned, just keep the unused one in the foil bag to avoid a possible duplicate reading.

Back
Top Bottom