Hand crank(to attach popup to trailer hitch) stopped raising/lowering!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spardawg

We have a Coleman popup. We went to storage area to bring camper to house. The hand crank with the wheel attached, was VERY hard to turn to raise the popup to hook on to our trauler hitch. Finally it all but quit! There is some rust on the metal but not much. It feels like there is something "sprung" in the mechanism. We ended up using a car jack! Help! Thank you

It is lkely that the lit cable broke from how it sounds. If you take to a dealer expect to pay big bucks.  It is relatively easy to replace. Mine broke ona 1994 dutchmen.  I called goshen stamping and paid 20 bucks for a new one.  Took about two hours but saved me over 400 dollars.

Also could be the spring that holds the "hammer" into the teeth has broken or become unhooked.

Shawn

Mine had a metal cover over the gear area that was held on by four screws. Maybe you could remove that and see if something is jammed in the gears? When I had trouble like yours, it was a pin that came loose and jammed the gears, drove it out, replace it with a new drift pin and set to go. Good Luck.
keep us posted.
BB

Welcome aboard Spardawg,

Are you talking about the crank to lower/raise the roof or to raise/lower the trailer tongue?  I'm guessing the latter since you used a car jack.

These two systems ars different, but both lower and raise something.

Marc...

I re-read the subject. It's clear now that you are talking about thetongue jack.

You can usually pop the top off easily if the handle shaft comes out of the post on the side. If the shaft is on the top, I believe you need to remove the handle first. Once removed, you need to grease the mechanism. If it's seized you might want to use some penetrating oil first to fred it up.

Thank you for all the information! I will take a closer look at it this weekend and see what it looks like.
I'll repost then....

If your trailer is not too heavy in the tongue (and I'm guessing it is not), a universal replacement jack (scroll down to "manual" jacks) might fit the bill.  A 1000# jack ought to do if you can find one that will mount easily.  Your old wheel might fit, so try it before you spend the bucks for a new wheel.

Thank you again. We are going to head out to the storage place Saturday and take a real close look at the "mechanism". See if we can remove it, etc. Hubby thinks it is welded to trailer, no bolts or screws. We'll see.
Thanks

If it is welded, an angle grinder (30$ at walmart) can be used to grind the welds off to remove it.  Then drill holes to bolt the replacement in place.

I remember our first pop-up, dad was towing it with his brand new 1976 Toyota Corolla SR5 Fastback (sweet car).  It did not have a tongue jack, but with 100 lbs of tongue weight, it was easy (not for me, I was 7 or 8) for an adult to lift it on the ball.  Also easy to move around the campsite by hand.

Haha!    We did buy a new "wheel" at WM so now to get back out to see if we can remove it.  Weather much nicer today. Found lots of lovely hairline cracks all around top of popup.  Regular water resistant caulk ok?

We did it! Removed the snap ring, bought a new "wheel" and put it on. Big savings on money! Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom