Samsung RV Microwave Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

SAMSUNG, NHTSA Announce Expansion Of Recall Of Microwave Ovens In RV'S
?
Mt. Arlington, NJ - April 28, 2004 - Samsung Electronics, in cooperation with the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), announced an expansion of its recall of microwave ovens that were installed in recreational vehicles (RVs) sold in the US during the past 3 years. Samsung has determined that some of these microwave ovens may present a safety hazard due to a defective part that may cause them to begin operation unassisted and result in smoke or fire.
Samsung will repair the ovens free of charge for consumers. In the meantime, consumers who own RVs with the affected ovens should unplug the microwaves - or, if that is not possible, leave the microwave door ajar, which will prevent the oven from operating. As a general safety precaution, consumers should never store items in microwave ovens or leave items in the ovens after use.

Samsung is currently working with more than 150 RV manufacturers nationwide to arrange to have the microwave ovens repaired for consumers free of charge. Repairs will be handled by Registered Service Centers. Customers may remove the Oven and carry it in to an Authorized Service Center, or, tow their RV to the Service Center for onsite service. Service arrangements and more information may be obtained as follows:

1- 800- 932-3837 Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 9:00 PM EST
E-mail [email protected] Note: Please include your name, address, and model number in the body of the email.
Fax 1-973-556-1525
Samsung is dedicated to creating superior products and offering exceptional customer service. Samsung's top priority is consumer satisfaction and safety, and we are committed to taking all appropriate actions to address and resolve this issue as expediently as possible.

The new models included in the recall are: MR1031WB, MR1032BB, MR1033SB, MR1351WB, MR1352BB. These microwaves were built by Samsung between May 2002 and July 2003 and installed in RVs sold during that time frame. Models of microwave oven affected by the earlier recall notice include: MR5491G, MR5491G01, MR5492W, MR5494W01, MR5493G, MR5493G01, MR5494W, MR7491G, MR7491G01, MR7492W, MR7492W01, MR7493G, MR7493G01, MR6698WB, MR6699GB, and MR6699SB. Consumers can locate the model number and manufacture date of their oven on the inside of the microwave oven door. Microwave oven models MR1031UWC, MR1031CWC, MR1032UBC, MR1032CBC as well as MR1351WB manufactured after May 2003 and MR1352WB manufactured after August 2003 are not included in this recall. No other Samsung microwave ovens are involved in this recall.

For more information, consumers should contact the Samsung Customer Care Center at 1-800-932-3837 or visit the Samsung website at: www.samsungusa.com/microwaveovens.

Consumers may also visit the NHTSA website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm; the NHTSA campaign number is 03E04400. The expansion is listed at 04-E-031.

About Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
Headquartered in Ridgefield Park, NJ, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (SEA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., markets a broad range of award-winning, advanced digital consumer electronics and information systems products. The SEA organization oversees the North American operations of Samsung Telecommunications USA, Samsung Electronics Canada and Samsung Electronics Mexico. Please visit www.samsungusa.com for more information.

About Samsung Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunications, flat panel display and digital convergence technology. Samsung Electronics employs approximately 75,000 people in 89 offices across 47 countries. The company is the world's largest producer of memory chips, TFT-LCDs, CDMA mobile phones, monitors and VCRs. Samsung Electronics consists of four main business units: Digital Media Network, Device Solution Network, Telecommunications Network and Digital Appliance Network Businesses. The company web site is located at http://www.samsung.com.?

I know this is a very, VERY old thread, but IMO, worth a necro-post.

Our "new to us" Winnebago came with the MR1032BB microwave. I kept wondering what the heck was going on when it would start by itself... :mad:  and why it was unplugged when we got it.  :eek: A bit of research found the info on the recall.

I contacted Samsung this morning about it. They're no longer repairing the units, but are offered me $200 to buy it back from me. (still waiting for details on how this will work)

I guess that's fine, as I can find quite a few decent quality microwaves for that price or less...but, (of course) the dimensions are different. I haven't removed the faulty unit yet to determine how much actual room I have inside the cabinet where it sits...and I KNOW I have to leave a few inches of clearance all around...which varies by model.  ::)

Anyway...if you happen to have one of these, either in your coach, or sitting in a garage somewhere gathering dust...Call Samsung at the number above to get it replaced.

FYI I also have this in a new to me wilderness....  called and they offered the $200 still for anyone who may come across it.  see if the money actually comes....

Doh!  I knew these models were bad and had one in the used RV I bought a few months ago.  I junked the Samsung when I replaced it.  The replacement only cost me $90.  A little free money would have been nice.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom