Mildew/discoloration on canvas, run?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMaple

We are looking at a tent trailer that is perfect...other than the fact that the flaps around the windows have some discoloration.    The trailer is a 2008, only used 3 times and it was stored in a garage in Florida for 2 years.  (The guy just moved back home from there.)    The rest of it seems perfect.

I was going to put a deposit on it until I saw that, and decided to do some research first.  With something like that, do we keep looking or is it a big issue?    Does it clean off or will it cause damage to the canvas?

If it is indeed mildew, click the Search button above and search on mildew to see lots of prior discussion and advice.

Did you use the Search button in the menu/toolbar? I get 164 results, not all of which are relevant of course.

I tried it again and it worked.  So strange.  None of them really gave me an answer though.

Sorry, I tried  :(  Hopefully someone else will jump in.

I would not sweat it to much if u r getting a very good deal. It will probably be discolored forever but a good healthy bleach mix should kill any nasty bacteria. We did the pop up thing for ten years and also had slight discoloration in spots on our canvas. Have fun, eric  ;D

We had a pop-up for years that had discoloration to a degree on certain areas of the canvs due to mold/mildew. I don't think it really had much of an effect on the material. I would not use bleach though. Use a solution of 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of salt in 1 gallon of hot water. My owners manual stated to never use bleach and I have also read it will destroy the waterproofing of the canvas.

Did it affect your re-sale.  This will be our first year with a camper and we want to make sure we could sell it again if we hated it.  (Don't think there is a chance of that happening!)

CanadianMaple said:
Did it affect your re-sale.  This will be our first year with a camper and we want to make sure we could sell it again if we hated it.  (Don't think there is a chance of that happening!)

Well, ours was a 1989 Coleman pop-up with a NADA value of $545 and I sold it for $650, so I would have to say no. LOL

We went back and looked again.  We talked a bit, got the price lowered and it's coming tomorrow at 4:30.  (He is bringing it to us, we still need a hitch!)    I am very excited!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom