Any suggestions about making a cat's transition to RV-ing easier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha121

John Lennon said "Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."  In this circumstance he was right.  Two years ago I began planning my maiden voyage into relatively full-time travel in a 27 foot Born Free to see what I haven't seen and reacquaint myself with a childhood passion for birdwatching.  My dogs have often traveled with me in a variety of vehicles with little problem.  My cat was at the time 16 years old, now 18.  If I had know she was going to live this long I'd have taken less care of her (it's a joke).  Now that I have the vehicle (a 2003 rear bath beauty), my house rented, and a loosely planned route  she is still undeniably alive and frisky as always.  It dawned on me that she could do nicely in an RV once she acclimates.  The acclimation which for her will be less stressful than for the owner on whose head she likes to perch, may not be a seamless process. I could use some advice from anyone who has RVed with a cat. I am not a crazy cat lady but have enough affection and loyalty to my old feline friend than to  euthanize her for my convenience.  SO...does anyone travel with a cat?  I'd deeply appreciate any advice. We are loading up in a week to head for North Dakota and I'd like to make this voyage listening to some good tunes and not the banshie caterwalling of one seriously annoyed cat. Thank you in advance, Marsha

Marsha,

Welcome to fulltiming.  I don't have cats, but many in the RV Forum do.  Until they reply, I think most will tell you to acclimate the animal (cat or dog) slowly by taking her into the RV for short periods of time, extending the length each time.  Take the cat's bed or cage or however it will be carried so the nest is there for security.  This gives the cat a chance to explore and become familiar with new surroundings before you leave.  If possible, take short drives the same way, an hour, maybe two, then three.  Even going around the block is good to start.  The idea is to let the animal acclimate slowly so it won't be panicked when the time comes to leave for good.  Take the cat's toys along too.  Anything that's familiar and a regular thing in its life.  Good luck and happy travels.

ArdraF

I am brand new to RVing as a life style, more days away and here, and all.  Part of my plan did not include my 18 year old cat still being alive when I launched my first sojourn.  But alive she is.  Has anyone transitioned a house cat to a RV cat?  I will be traveling in a 27 foot Born Free along with two seasoned traveling dogs, starting next week to North Dakota.  I am beginning to think this is sounding more like a circus act than fulfilled dream.  My feline freaks big time on vet trips so I anticipate this won't be easy.  If I fail to acclimate her does anyone know which states have the least jail time for tossing an elder-cat out the window (this is supposed to be funny!)  She's  too good a friend to leave behind and I'd deeply appreciate any clues, hints, prayers or just to hear from someone who has seen a cat in a motorhome.
Regards,
Marsha

Martha,

ArdraF gave some good advise. Keeping your cat in a carrier while traveling not only keeps the cat safe, but also gives the cat a sense of security. Start now in introducing your cat to the motorhome and to the carrier. Make sure you take her food and toys, etc... Keep the cat as active as possible in order that she doesn't get constipated and/or get an urinated infection. As a veterinarian I did not like to place animals on medications without first trying training. However, if the cat gets too excited, she can be given a small amount of a tranquilizer or a mood modifier for a few days. Any medications like tranquilizers should be given with cautions to a 18 year old cat. Consult your own veterinarian.

As you know, cats are different and have their own personalities. We "adopted" a cat, after ours passed, at the service center where we took our coach. She adapted very well but I don't know her background. We found her going through a dumpster looking for food. She has been with us for 11 years and seems very happy in the coach.

One morning I got her to come close enough so I could pet her. A day or two later I was able to pick her up. Took her in the coach and put her down. She's not left since.

I'd probably take your cat into the coach and just let her roam around without moving the coach. It will take a little time for her to get acclimated but she might enjoy the new surroundings. Traveling may change her mind and should be done in easy trips.

Our cat now climbs into my wife's lap and sleeps the whole trip no matter how long it is. 

We have two cats that travel with us.  Toesie, our 11 year old calico polydactyl, whom we've had for 4 years, travels great.  The first few trips she howled for the first hour or so and then settled down.  Now she sleeps most of the time, either on my wife's lap, on the dinette seat back or on her cardboard scratch pad.  Our other cat, Rusty, a 23# red and white mackerel tabby started traveling with us 4 years ago at the age of 10 weeks.  He used to sit in the steering wheel while we were moving.  Obviously he won't fit now. ;D  He also meows for the first hour or so and then gets comfortable.  He is either perched on my wife's or my seat back or on the couch sleeping.  Neither one of them are upset after spending the night in the motorhome and getting back on the road the next day.  The only other problem we have with Rusty is he's leash trained and every time we stop, he wants to go for a walk. :-\  I would never think of keeping either one of them in a carrier while we are on the road.

I took my cat in his carrier when the rig was just sitting in my driveway.  I put his litter box in and the slides out and we just went out and sat for awhile.  He investigated everything, checked out all the nooks and crannies.  Now mind you he's a pretty laid back guy.  I did that a few times.  Then we went for a couple days at a KOA up the road and took him.  I keep him in his carrier for the majority of the time we travel.  He seems more comfortable and at ease in there.  But if he cry's to come out then I let him for awhile.  But if it's a longer day's travel then I put him back in after a leg stretch.  He just seems relaxed in there whereas every big bump we hit when he's out, he always appears in somewhat of a panic.  You just have to slowly get her used to it.

It takes time to aclimatize a cat to new surroundings, though if your old gal is anything like our 19 year old, she's probably not very active any more.

Have her spend time in the coach before you attempt to travel anywhere, as Ken & Ruth suggest. Get familiar with the sights and smells, learn where the litter box will be, etc.

Cats generally travel well, though there may be some howling when you first begin to move down the road. They get used to that too.

I wanted to get a cat for my motorhome several year ago so I posted a question to this forum. The response was to get a cat as young as possible. I got a 6 week old kitten I named Tarzan. I am a full timer and so is the cat. He is the same cat, calm as can be, whether we are in motion or sitting still since he has lived his entire life in a motorhome.

A few months ago someone gave me Jane. She was a one year old cat and had been living in the wild. The first few weeks she was a bit antsy when the motorhome was in motion but settled down real quickly and now motion doesn't bother her.

My suggestion would be to put the cat in the motorhome as soon as possible and let her live there. Take her on a short trip or two every day and this MIGHT acclimate her. I say might because cats are more independent and individual than any other animal I have had contact with.

We started traveling with our cat about 6 months ago. She howls, off and on, the first first 30 minutes or so then she settles down under the dinette with a trip out occasionally to look out the front window to give a couple of howls then back under the dinette.

Our biggest concern was her getting out of the coach when we open the door. I was not confident that we could keep her inside with a hand full of groceries, or what have you, and be able to open the door, get in, and close the door behind us. So I decided to build a double gate, one that we could close behind us keeping the cat inside and then open the coach door in confidence that the cat would not escape. See pictures below. The second picture shows it with a cutting board I made as a counter extension. Only to be used temporarily due to obvious fire safety reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 58
Thank you all for the support and suggestions.  Tom has experience with both young and old cats and still has time to take amazing bird portraits....amazing!  My biggest unspoken fear was of the cat getting out and Jay addressed that nicely with the secondary gate idea, seems obvious but I would not have thought of it.  It also reminded me to update her microchip information as I no longer have a landline.
Regards,
Marsha

My ex and I had a cat that traveled with us in our Class B and later in our Class A.  She started in the B, not much more than a hopped up van, and there wasn't a lot of room for her so she was happy to get out of it at any opportunity.  When we got the Class A, it took her a day or two to get used to it and she loved it.  She immediately claimed the large flat area on the dash in front of the passenger seat. 

Marsha121 said:
Thank you all for the support and suggestions.  Tom has experience with both young and old cats and still has time to take amazing bird portraits....amazing!  My biggest unspoken fear was of the cat getting out and Jay addressed that nicely with the secondary gate idea, seems obvious but I would not have thought of it.  It also reminded me to update her microchip information as I no longer have a landline.
Regards,
Marsha
Thank you for those kind words Marsha.

It takes me about 1 minute to clean the kitty litter box and I do that twice a day. It takes me about 3 minute to clean and refill their food and water dishes. That amounts to 4 minutes "work" per day to keep the kitties happy. I still have plenty of time left over to take photos. I still have lots of time even if you include the hour or two per day that I spend playing with the cats.

I built this for our kitties from an old small shopping cart (not stolen).  It fits in the window next to the dinette table.  It gives them some fresh air when we camp.

Attachments

• rusty cart.jpg
    rusty cart.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 63
That is way cool. 8)

But don't the cats get cold when you are driving down the road? ;D

BTW - Beautiful cats.

No, they don't.  I put a towel on the front to protect them from the wind.  I'm working on a slide mechanism to retract it above 5 mph.  ;D ;D  Thank you for the compliment on the kitties.

I got some lattace fence at Home Depot.. This is plastic.. Mounting a couple of 1x3's to teh wall in front and behind the dinette I set it up so I can build a cage

About 4 feet  deep, perhaps 5 feet long, and 4 feet high, around the dinette,

When we first started traveling with the cats they got to go in the "Cage"

This cage also had a 4th wall (normally the back wall is the side wall of the MH) so it cuould be set up outside the coach as well.

I like the window cage idea, may build one, I know just which window I'd put it in too.

Now, the cats have found their own place to be when traveling, ti's also secure, not quite as good as the plastic cage but I'm confident that they won't get banged up in an accident should one happen.  I did have to make a few mods so they can get out easier.

Have had experience getting about 5 or 6 cats/kittens used to my RV. 2 were live in's whereas the others were rescued strays.

Would agree with those that have suggested letting the cat/kitten get used to the rig while it sits in the driveway or storage. But would add that the next 2 steps are critical - those dealing with the engine running. My approach has been to (after a few sessions sitting in the driveway) start the engine and let it warm up and the idle slow down "before" putting kitty in each time.  Then just as before having the engine running, let him explore and so forth.

The 3rd step is after a few sessions with the engine running but not moving -- slowly (real slowly) while kitty is doing her thing, ease off. I have found at that point they will not go ballistic and will enjoy the ride.

Finally, I would not "start" the engine with kitty on board until he feels comfortable driving around having been placed on board after the engine starts.

This has worked for me every time with each of these guys. The last two were rescues, plus other rescues were not posted. The first pic was Fred -- and he never saw the inside of an rv.  :)

I have never traveled with a cat but we have friends that do. They made a small modification to their trailer that the cat really loves. They cut a hole in the side of the dining booth large enough for the cat to go in and out. They made a "home" for the cat under the seat with a bed and other items to make it more comfortable. That way when the cat wanted to get away from eveything going on it could go in and out of sight. It worked great!

We are living full time with two cats, one nine years old, one ten years old.

They had been moved several times half way across the country in kennels, and while that was not their favorite, it was never an issue.

We moved them out of our apartment and into the coach eight months ago, and they are fine. When the diesel fires up, they used to dive under the sofa, but that has changed. The 20 # tom cat will ride on the sofa instead of under it. When we stop every couple of hundred miles, they come out, eat, drink, and use the litter box which is always in the shower.

We have never had them bolt, although I bet they have considered it. We have take the big one out on a leash, rarely, but a dog scared him and he busted a lawn chair off at the d-ring under the coach. My bad....

House cats should have no issue being in the coach. I actually think they like the smaller space!

If you have any questions, I will give them to William when he wakes up... ;D

Attachments

• DSC_0001_William forum.jpg
    DSC_0001_William forum.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back