She can't wait!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Burgess

'twas a while ago that I posted and the responses were terrific, so here I go again...
G'day everyone.
She who must be obeyed and I were planning on, when I retire in a couple of years, buying an RV and wintering in the US (rather than Oz) for the forseeable future - that way we would only see summer! using the different hemispheres!!  Well here down under the weather has turned and it's getting cold.  We have some leave looming and she blithely sits and muses, 'couldn't we hire a van in the US and go there for our hol's?'  So, without offering too much comment (so as not to raise hope or commit to an idea - I've been married a lvery ong time) I looked at hire RV's on the web and after some frustration didn't much think a lot of that idea, thought the exercise was a bit pricey.  Not to be beaten (you see a few weeks ago there was a tv show about a couple of poms (sorry Brits) drinking their way around California's wine region that caught my attention and became an ambition - I live on the back door of the Barossa Valley in South Australia, where we make much of our plonk) an idea looms.  Rather than a van, perhaps a car and use cabins because it's almost an rv life style.  I can use the free visa entry (90 days without visa) and slip in and out and have a look at the RV scene - almost a good plan methinks.
Now the question, can anyone give me a quick idea of small cabin cost in your RV parks and is there any advantage to joining a club (we have touring clubs in Oz).  I find the web sites really labourious to negotiate so if someone could give me a quick heads up I would appreciate it. 
Thanks
John Burgess

Many (most?) of our RV parks don't have cabins, but you could hit the major chains like KOA. They usually have cabins. And of course motels are readily available most everywhere, so you would always have a place to sleep.

Prices vary substantially with location and season, so an answer to that is guesswork without more information on your itinerary.

Here in Oregon the yurts ( tent cabins) rent for around 60 dollars a day.  Check out places like Oregon state parks, KOA camp grounds also rent cabins.  You can check their web site for more information.

KOA does have a membership that allows a discount.  Not sure of the current price but koa.com should have both information on the club card but all the availability of cabins at the various location.  In addition, you can make reservations there.

Touring the US is not cheap if you are coming from a foreign country. If I were you I would buy and RV here in the US and store it while you are in Oz. Renting an RV, motels or cabins are all very expensive if you do it for months at a time. I have been living in an RV for the past year and a half that I paid $2600 for. I put new tires on it immediately and I have done a lot of repairs and modifications to it. But I doubt I have put more that $5000 into it total. I subscribe to CoachNet for $100 a year for roadside assistance and towing. So I drive it all over fearlessly.

Back
Top Bottom