120 TV/DVD combo or 12V TV-DVD combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauls Toy Hauler

So I'm conflicted.  I want to get a TV/DVD combo in my TT.  I assume you figured that out by the subject title.  I have found two models exactly the same with the exception of the power consumption needed to operate.  One is 120v regular one found in homes and the such and then you have the 12v one which is ideal for us traveling type.  However the 12v one is about $100.00 more.  In all honesty, I can't seem to think of when I will be camping without shore power ever, with that said, I can't justify spending an additional $100.00 for that option.  I have thought of the occasion if the power went out at the campsite, that 12v would be very convenient, but it's just not going to happen that often.  What would you guys do?

I'd buy the 120 volt unit.  Then, if you felt the need, spend the extra $100 on a Full Sine Wave inverter to power the 120v unit off your battery.  Just get an inverter that could handle the power consumption (watts) of the TV.  A plus would be you could power other 120v gizmos as long as they did not exceed the inverter's capacity.  Of course, the next worry is keeping your battery charged.

Get the 110 volt unit. I have a 32 inch HDTV and a 5.1 surround system and I run them both with a modified sine 400 watt invertor that cost me $39. You don't need a pure sine for a TV.

Molaker said:
I'd buy the 120 volt unit.  Then, if you felt the need, spend the extra $100 on a Full Sine Wave inverter to power the 120v unit off your battery.  Just get an inverter that could handle the power consumption (watts) of the TV.  A plus would be you could power other 120v gizmos as long as they did not exceed the inverter's capacity.  Of course, the next worry is keeping your battery charged.

That's a good idea.  that's what I needed.  some real world advice.

seilerbird said:
Get the 110 volt unit. I have a 32 inch HDTV and a 5.1 surround system and I run them both with a modified sine 400 watt invertor that cost me $39. You don't need a pure sine for a TV.
If the TV is all the OP plans on using the inverter for, then okay - maybe.  Unless one can get some kind of guaranty that an electronic device will function on a modified sine wave inverter, then is can be a crap shoot.  Maybe it will work, maybe it won't and maybe it will even "kill" the new TV.

If the OP can determine if the TV has a switch-mode power supply then probably it will be okay to use a MSW inverter.

I have been living on the road full time and using modified sine wave inverters for nine years. I have owned several different ones from the dirt cheapest 75 watt to the 400 watt I currently own. They have powered at least 8 different laptops, several TVs, my surround sound system, my 75 watt guitar amp and dozens of other devices. Every single one has worked flawlessly and I have never had any device that would not work.

Even with TV's MSW inverters are a crap shoot.. The American Radio Relay League tested several inverters in their lab.. Most all of the MSW inverters (in fact as I reacll it was indeed all of them)  caused major interference in the AM radio band, and in the longer wavelength ham bands (160-80 meters (round 3-4 MHZ)  Some of them went up to around 10 meters (About 30 MHZ)  and some of them went all the way up to UHF (Which is were most TV lives now days)

Also some televisions are more senistive to MSW inverters so it's a double crap shoot

Now with a True Sine inverter.. None of the above applies.. AM radio, crystal clear, ham bands, LIkewise, VHF/UHF/Satellite TV, no problems..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom