Default mail client

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

When I tried to send an e-mail from a manufacturers web site by clicking on their e-mail button, I get a message that " Default mail client not properly installed"

Running XP and using Outlook Express.  Any ideas, I can call them tomorrow but have run into this before and would like to find out whats going on.

Outlook Express is likely not the default email client and there is no other one set as default.  There should be a setting in OE to set it as the default email client.  Try an email link from the forum, like the one under my avatar, and see if it opens the new message window in OE.

To ensure Outlook Express is Windows's default program for all things email:
  • Make sure Outlook Express is not running.
  • Select Run... from the Start menu.
  • Type "msimn /reg" (excluding the quotation marks).
  • Hit Enter.
    • Wait for, say, ten seconds for the process to finish. Nothing will appear on screen. Do not let that disturb you.
  • Launch Outlook Express.
  • Select Tools | Options... from the menu.
  • Go to the General tab.
  • Click Make Default under Default Messaging Programs.
  • Click OK
From About.com

I think the mail client that was not properly installed is on their end.

However you can do this.. right click on that E-Mail link and choose COPY

now Depending on your browser you can open your mail client or go to your "Send mail" web page and paste the URL into the status line.. Visually inspect what's there.

If it's something like: Mailto://[email protected] (Not my real E-mail address) then delete the Mailto:// part (leaving jsut the user name @ domain

If after the domain it says somehing like $Subject=Gobbedly Goop.

Delete the $ (or?) and the Subject =,    Cut the "Gobbedly Goop" whatever it is and paste it in the SUBJECT line

Compose and send normally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom